Next Level Racing Boeing Military simulator seat

MA_Goblin

Just wanted to show how I solved the problem of mounting the stick with a 200 mm extension.

I had a pair of MonsterTech table mounts that I used before I bought the NLR Boeing pit, and I took the short one and mounted it upsidedown. Works great, I can adjust it up/down and also the distance to the seat.

Just an idea if you have a spare table mount.

Now I need to find a good solution how to attach my new Virpil throttle and Ka-50 panel.

IMG_20230711_185227790.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen 7 5800X - RTX 3080 - G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 32GB - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 1TB - Corsair RM850x - 27 inch monitor - Noctua NH-D15 - Win 10

VKB Gunfighter Mk III - VKB KG 12 grip - Virpil CM3 Throttle - Virpil KA-50 panel - Thrustmaster TPR - Reverb G2 V2

NLR Boeing Military Edition Simpit

Viggen - F86 Sabre - Mig 15 - A 10 C II - FC 3 - Mosquito - P 47D - Spitfire - FW 190 A - Me 109

Syria - Normandy 2 - The Channel

On 7/11/2023 at 6:05 PM, Customizer171 said:

Just wanted to show how I solved the problem of mounting the stick with a 200 mm extension.

I had a pair of MonsterTech table mounts that I used before I bought the NLR Boeing pit, and I took the short one and mounted it upsidedown. Works great, I can adjust it up/down and also the distance to the seat.

Now I need to find a good solution how to attach my new Virpil throttle and Ka-50 panel.

I made one from scratch for the F-GT and it's very similar...

PXL_20230712_201544521.jpg

• Like 2

I ran into the same problem with my seat since I use an 8 inch (200 mm) extension on my TM Warthog. Wanting to take advantage of the seat notch, I took my center pole and mounting plate to a local machine shop. They cut the pole square about 1/4” above the bottom mount where it would bolt to the crossmember. I also had them cut the bracket off of the mounting plate and then had the plate welded to the cut pole. The end result works very well and puts the stick at the right height for me. And even with the stick mounted lower, the seat does not interfere with the range of movement at all!
IMG_4489.jpeg
IMG_4490.jpeg

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 4

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, Customizer171 said:

That is a very smart use! I have used a long Virpil Desk mount which I've clamped to the baseplate with the 200mm extension. 

IMG_1986.jpg

It works very well, but I'm now missing options to properly mount panels/ufc etc in front of me (current mainly held in place with velcro tape), and I would like to purchase the simgear F16 ICP and properly mount it on a center plate, and then add the MFDs someway... So this might be a solution to have the stick extension without drilling or welding stuff.

My current dream setup is this, but that is a DIY solution...

yxlndqfi7vfa1.webp

I do wish Next Level had more accessories to the chair (which I love the look of)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! i just got this seat, I have a gunfighter with the 200mm extension. I saw someone using the monster tech table mount for theirs, but jeez... those things are REALLY expensive. 

Does anyone know a better alternative? I don't have access to any kind of metal-working equipment myself.... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, Wikikomoto said:

Hey! i just got this seat, I have a gunfighter with the 200mm extension. I saw someone using the monster tech table mount for theirs, but jeez... those things are REALLY expensive. 

Does anyone know a better alternative? I don't have access to any kind of metal-working equipment myself.... 

Hello, it was probably my pictures you have seen. It worked great since I already had the MonsterTech mounts, but I wouldn't recommend buying it for using this solution.

You can use the existing parts from the NLR kit to build a good mount, just need to buy some small parts, two angle brackets and a piece of wood.

That's what I did and this is how it looks.

IMG_20230808_090447672_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230808_090430858_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X - RTX 3080 - G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 32GB - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 1TB - Corsair RM850x - 27 inch monitor - Noctua NH-D15 - Win 10

VKB Gunfighter Mk III - VKB KG 12 grip - Virpil CM3 Throttle - Virpil KA-50 panel - Thrustmaster TPR - Reverb G2 V2

Viggen - F86 Sabre - Mig 15 - A 10 C II - FC 3 - Mosquito - P 47D - Spitfire - FW 190 A - Me 109

How is the overall comfort with the seat? I'm thinking of purchasing the seat alone to use with my Simlab cockpit. I'm currently using the OpenWheeler Racing and Flight Sim Seat which is decently comfortable, but does not have the center cutout and the side bolsters and get in the way a little.  The OpenWheeler does come with a center cutout now, but I don't want to buy the same seat just for the cutout.  

I'd love to get the Monstertech Blackbird, but that 24 week delivery time is rough!

4 hours ago, idowza said:

How is the overall comfort with the seat? I'm thinking of purchasing the seat alone to use with my Simlab cockpit. I'm currently using the OpenWheeler Racing and Flight Sim Seat which is decently comfortable, but does not have the center cutout and the side bolsters and get in the way a little.  The OpenWheeler does come with a center cutout now, but I don't want to buy the same seat just for the cutout.  

I'd love to get the Monstertech Blackbird, but that 24 week delivery time is rough!

I have nothing else to compare to, but in my opinion the  NLR  Boeing Military Edition isn't very comfortable.

I'm 6'3 and 100kg and my butt is hurting after a 2 hour gaming session.

However, I don't think this seat can be bought alone. They have a new model out now and that seat can be bought, but I think that's different model. Hopefully more comfortable.

9 hours ago, Customizer171 said:

I have nothing else to compare to, but in my opinion the  NLR  Boeing Military Edition isn't very comfortable.

However, I don't think this seat can be bought alone. They have a new model out now and that seat can be bought, but I think that's different model. Hopefully more comfortable.

They look like very similar seats, but perhaps they are different.  I'm about the same size as you, so it probably won't be very comfortable for me either.

I may just re-buy the openwheeler seat with the center cut out.  I don't have any complaints about comfort with that seat.  Only negative is the side bolsters and the lack of a center cut out. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2023 at 9:50 PM, sepruda said:

That is a very smart use! I have used a long Virpil Desk mount which I've clamped to the baseplate with the 200mm extension. 

IMG_1986.jpg

It works very well, but I'm now missing options to properly mount panels/ufc etc in front of me (current mainly held in place with velcro tape), and I would like to purchase the simgear F16 ICP and properly mount it on a center plate, and then add the MFDs someway... So this might be a solution to have the stick extension without drilling or welding stuff.

My current dream setup is this, but that is a DIY solution...

yxlndqfi7vfa1.webp

I do wish Next Level had more accessories to the chair (which I love the look of)

The glare shield is a classy touch.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2023 at 12:46 PM, MA_Goblin said:

Hi everyone,

Just want to give my view on my new simulator seat that I bought to replace my home built "wooden wonder" after many years of use.

I was impressed with the images and initial reviews of the NLR Boeing military edition that I could find and decided to order one.
Since I live in Sweden both initial price and shipping cost cannot be called cheap in any way 🤣 however I was betting on the quality matching cost.

I will not make a long assembly review since there is those to be found on YouTube.
The package is LARGE and HEAVY though so it's definitely a two man job to haul it to where the build will take place.

The manual is excellent, the quality and finish equally great so I was not disappointed at all with this.
Assembly takes about 4 hours and then be prepared to fiddle for a couple of days in order to find the best location for Your accessories.
It is NOT made for changing mounting places very often, measure twice mount once! That is my recommendation 🤪

The assembled seat is sturdy, comfortable (I'm 175 cm above sea level) and the adjustment possibilities are great, at least for my accessories.

Two thing that is slightly negative are:
In order to get the VPC CM2 base and handle with a 200mm extension to fit I had to fabricate an adapter and drill some holes in the one that came with the seat to mount it. It works great but requires some tools and time.
In order to mount the MFG pedals I had to drill holes in the pedal-plate since the mounting holes existing did not fit.

All in all for me two minor inconveniences.

I highly recommend this seat, both for quality, adjustment possibilities and comfort.
https://nextlevelracing.com/products/boeing-combat-flight-simulator/

PXL_20230401_072048072.jpg

Hi, I just bought the military seat, and I am still in the first phases of mounting it (probably will finish during this weekend.

Could you please tell me some more details of the holes you had to do in the pedal's plate?

I also have an MFG (but with combat pedals) so I would immediately do the holes without  first mounting  everything, so It would be handy if you could give me some detailed pictures. Thanks 🙂

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

On 7/16/2023 at 11:22 PM, Diesel_Thunder said:

I ran into the same problem with my seat since I use an 8 inch (200 mm) extension on my TM Warthog. Wanting to take advantage of the seat notch, I took my center pole and mounting plate to a local machine shop. They cut the pole square about 1/4” above the bottom mount where it would bolt to the crossmember. I also had them cut the bracket off of the mounting plate and then had the plate welded to the cut pole. The end result works very well and puts the stick at the right height for me. And even with the stick mounted lower, the seat does not interfere with the range of movement at all!
IMG_4489.jpeg
IMG_4490.jpeg

Thank you for this. Out of curiosity, would you be able to post a picture of your setup from a side view perspective? I’m interested in purchasing this simpit and am wondering whether the 75mm extension I have on my warthog (principally used on a desktop to date) would work on the Mount at its lowest setting without the need for any modifications.

From the pictures you’ve posted, I believe such an extension would leave the flightstick approximately at the height yours sits at with a 200m extension after the modifications you’ve made, but I just wanted to verify this if possible with a different photo before I pull the trigger on the purchase. Thanks in advance and no worries if it’s too much bother.

41 minutes ago, sepruda said:

I ended up bolting my monstertech mount to the center plate horizontally. Works very well.

IMG_3367.jpeg

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3371.jpeg

What headset is that?

44 minutes ago, sepruda said:

I ended up bolting my monstertech mount to the center plate horizontally. Works very well.

IMG_3367.jpeg

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3371.jpeg

Where did that UFC come from?

On 12/5/2023 at 4:17 PM, Mad Jack McMad said:

Thank you for this. Out of curiosity, would you be able to post a picture of your setup from a side view perspective? I’m interested in purchasing this simpit and am wondering whether the 75mm extension I have on my warthog (principally used on a desktop to date) would work on the Mount at its lowest setting without the need for any modifications.

From the pictures you’ve posted, I believe such an extension would leave the flightstick approximately at the height yours sits at with a 200m extension after the modifications you’ve made, but I just wanted to verify this if possible with a different photo before I pull the trigger on the purchase. Thanks in advance and no worries if it’s too much bother.

A Warthog without the extension would work, but leaves the seat notch without it's intended purpose. In my opinion, this is the seat's biggest flaw that it cannot accommodate extended sticks without modification. Their latest flight seat does, that being the Flight Simulator Pro, though it is more expensive than the Boeing Military Edition.

Anyway, here are the pictures you requested. I did slide the seat back for a better shot. Also added another picture from before I modified the mount showing the extended Warthog. That put the grip about chest level, and would not work at all for me. Was very much worth having the mount shortened. The grip is about at the perfect height, and my forearm for the most part rests comfortably on my thigh as I'm flying. The extension I use is 200mm and still has full range of motion.

The only issue with the shorter mount is that the bolts holding the mount to the rail, which also anchor the center pole support bracket, have to be inserted from the bottom instead of the top as called for in the manual.

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Thanks 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

57 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

A Warthog without the extension would work, but leaves the seat notch without it's intended purpose. In my opinion, this is the seat's biggest flaw that it cannot accommodate extended sticks without modification. Their latest flight seat does, that being the Flight Simulator Pro, though it is more expensive than the Boeing Military Edition.

Anyway, here are the pictures you requested. I did slide the seat back for a better shot. Also added another picture from before I modified the mount showing the extended Warthog. That put the grip about chest level, and would not work at all for me. Was very much worth having the mount shortened. The grip is about at the perfect height, and my forearm for the most part rests comfortably on my thigh as I'm flying. The extension I use is 200mm and still has full range of motion.

The only issue with the shorter mount is that the bolts holding the mount to the rail, which also anchor the center pole support bracket, have to be inserted from the bottom instead of the top as called for in the manual.

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

Thank you very much for going to the trouble of taking and uploading these pics for me. I greatly appreciate it. This has been super helpful in allowing me to confirm that a 7.5cm extension would work with the original base and leave the stick sitting at a comfortable height.

I really like your modifications as a novel approach to rectifying the major flaw with the rig you highlighted. In the event that I opt for a longer extension at some point I think I’ll end up going for something similar. Thank you once again.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:07 AM, Customizer171 said:

The F/GT has basically the same seat. The problem is that seat pan is too flat (the wedge shaped cushions do not solve the problem). It needs to be angled. The way that it's secured, angling the seat pan is a pain. What you want to do is make a wood or metal wedge to go between the pan and the cushions.  You want about 15-20deg.

I managed to get it comfortable that way but then I put a real seatbox in and it's great.

PXL_20231209_175551780.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, Scott-S6 said:

The F/GT has basically the same seat. The problem is that seat pan is too flat (the wedge shaped cushions do not solve the problem). It needs to be angled. The way that it's secured, angling the seat pan is a pain. What you want to do is make a wood or metal wedge to go between the pan and the cushions.  You want about 15-20deg.

I managed to get it comfortable that way but then I put a real seatbox in and it's great.

PXL_20231209_175551780.jpg

This looks like an excellent solution. Could you please tell me where you purchased the seat box and seat covering?

On 12/13/2023 at 12:09 PM, Mad Jack McMad said:

This looks like an excellent solution. Could you please tell me where you purchased the seat box and seat covering?

Seat box was eBay (there's a bunch of NOS still available), cover set was DIY

Edited by Scott-S6

Here's some more pics. The seatbox has a really aggressive curvature that's very comfortable. It sits in a simple wooden frame that centers it and holds it at the correct angle (easy to make with a table saw).

The cushion set has a hexagonal gel pad in the base (that's how MB describe what they're currently using and it seemed like a good idea) while the back is stuffed with cotton wadding (the better quality version of what you use to fill stuffed animals). The outer of it is Dupont Cordura which is definitely not an authentic material (it melts and then burns in a fire) but is comfortable and fairly inexpensive.

If anyone can identify which aircraft this seatbox was used in that would be interesting.

PXL_20231216_115725064.jpg

PXL_20231216_115710948_1.jpg

PXL_20231216_115807028.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, sepruda said:

Printomatico has made three different adapters available (as well as other goodies) for 3D printing.

I've just ordered the CM3 adapter (don't have a 3D printer). I'll update you on how that works out.

https://www.printables.com/model/671990-joystick-adapter-nlr-flight-simulator-boeing-virpi

Works like a charm!

IMG_3446.jpeg

IMG_3447.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 9:40 PM, sepruda said:

Works like a charm!

IMG_3446.jpeg

IMG_3447.jpeg

Looks nice.

My only concern is that the cable connection is very exposed and could easily get damaged.

My solution to this problem wasn't very good looking but it works.

I have now been thinking if it would not be possible to mount the stick base with the front facing backward  (to protect the cable) and then reverse the axis in the software?

Just an idea that might work?

Edited by Customizer171
Spelling