DCS tested with the Pimax Crystal

winghunter

16 minutes ago, muzica9 said:

native resolution you get 90 fps? without downscale?

In DCS I get about 50-55 fps at native resolution and 2x MSAA.

If I lower the resolution a bit this goes up to 60-65.

In the G2 I never achieved 90fps either because for that I would need to turn off MSAA and DCS without MSAA looks just bad.

For DCS I just need to find a good MR option for the Crystal. In MSFS MR isn't needed and there the Crystal looks smoother than my G2 even when running at the same fps.

My only major issue with the headset is the lacking comfort, once I get that sorted I'll be very happy with it.

Edited by lax22
  • Like 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

15 minutes ago, lax22 said:

In DCS I get about 50-55 fps at native resolution and 2x MSAA.

If I lower the resolution a bit this goes up to 60-65.

In the G2 I never achieved 90fps either because for that I would need to turn off MSAA and DCS without MSAA looks just bad.

For DCS I just need to find a good MR option for the Crystal. In MSFS MR isn't needed and there the Crystal looks smoother than my G2 even when running at the same fps.

My only major issue with the headset is the lacking comfort, once I get that sorted I'll be very happy with it.

What GPU and settings?

48 minutes ago, Gorn557 said:

What GPU and settings?

7800x3d / 4090 oc

textures: high

clouds: high

msaa 2x

view distance: medium 

ssaa: off

shadows: low

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

28 minutes ago, dureiken said:

Hi, how to enable DFR for Crystal ?

Thanks a lot 🙂

I think you have to wait until they release the version of the Pimax client that's currently still in beta.

They said on their website that there were still a few minor issues with the beta but that they expect to release it soon:

https://pimax.com/crystal-notice/

1 minute ago, lax22 said:

I think you have to wait until they release the version of the Pimax client that's currently still in beta.

They said on their website that there were still a few minor issues with the beta but that they expect to release it soon:

https://pimax.com/crystal-notice/

oh ok thanks a lot ! think it will be a game changer ! even with  my 4090 FPS are so bad 😞

4 hours ago, lax22 said:

7800x3d / 4090 oc

textures: high

clouds: high

msaa 2x

view distance: medium 

ssaa: off

shadows: low

strange. something is wrong in you sistem. 7800x3d should push more. i have lower cpu, same gpu and i get better results with even higher settings.

G2 mostly 90 fps.

Crystal 50-60 fps at native resolution and 2x MSAA. 75-80 fps with 3500x4150. But Flying helo, other story. Under 50 fps

Edited by muzica9

1 hour ago, muzica9 said:

strange. something is wrong in you sistem. 7800x3d should push more. i have lower cpu, same gpu and i get better results with even higher settings.

G2 mostly 90 fps.

Crystal 50-60 fps at native resolution and 2x MSAA. 75-80 fps with 3500x4150. But Flying helo, other story. Under 50 fps

My system is perfectly fine.

I do my benchmarking in DCS on the Syria map. On other maps I get more fps.

3 hours ago, dureiken said:

oh ok thanks a lot ! think it will be a game changer ! even with  my 4090 FPS are so bad 😞

Yeah it needs a little thing called eye tracking. And yes if anything like it was with the Aero it will be a complete game changer.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, muzica9 said:

G2 mostly 90 fps.

There are so many things which can hit the DCS performance really hard, so you have to be much more precise what settings you are using.

A big part of this story are Shadows. If you use the left shadow setting alone (terrain shadows flat), it will hit a little more as the terrain shadows alone (shadows flat). As soon as you use both together, they will hit the performance really hard.

Grass will hit the performance hard too.

Water at high is a bigger performance eater as view distance set to ultra.

And so on.

Long story short: If you want to compare the performance, the settings you mentioned are by far not enough to do so.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

37 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

Hi mbucchai

Curios PimaxXR says this nullwhen I open it, its reporting a resoulution 4132x5102 @ 90hz, is that what it will be using in DCS ??

image.png

Yes unless you have setup in Pimax Client an override specifically for DCS.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

6 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Yes unless you have setup in Pimax Client an override specifically for DCS.

Thanks I cant see anything in the Pimax client that lets you override its resolution (change it), I know I can be done in OpenXR Toolkit which I havent touched.

I believe that sort of resolution is waaay too high to run even with a 4090. It’s simply too many pixels, and by all accounts you don’t need it set that high either. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Use the Render Quality slider in Pimax Client, set it to 0.75, it will provide just enough supersampling. You always want the rendering resolution to be a bit higher than the panel resolution.

• Thanks 1

Joined a facebook Pimax THread recently as a new VR unit is next on the list.  Several complaints of very uncomfortable to wear to the point where one or two have sent the unit back.

I find the quest 2 uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

Anyone experiencing this please??

Regards

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

1 hour ago, Marshallman said:

Joined a facebook Pimax THread recently as a new VR unit is next on the list.  Several complaints of very uncomfortable to wear to the point where one or two have sent the unit back.

I find the quest 2 uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

Anyone experiencing this please??

Regards

yes, very uncomfortable. after 3 hours my nose was hurting me. in G2 i can stand 8 hours or more without any discomfort. Basically, bottom plastic frame of the lens sit on my nose, and my eyebrowse touch the top part of lens

But now i understand the gimmick of the Pimax. They promised big FOV and they sacrificed everything for FOV. The make you sit closer to lenses to have big FOV. This means that you have less foam/bumper around your face. If they or you change the face gasket with something more comfortable, you narrow your FOV. Pimax gimmick.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, muzica9 said:

But now i understand the gimmick of the Pimax. They promised big FOV and they sacrificed everything for FOV. The make you sit closer to lenses to have big FOV. This means that you have less foam/bumper around your face. If they or you change the face gasket with something more comfortable, you narrow your FOV. Pimax gimmick.

Totally disagree, I can play in my 8kX for hours without any pain or discomfort other that I can be a little hot.  Maybe they goofed with the crystal but that is not the case with all Pimax HMD!

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

3 hours ago, WipeUout said:

Totally disagree, I can play in my 8kX for hours without any pain or discomfort other that I can be a little hot.  Maybe they goofed with the crystal but that is not the case with all Pimax HMD!

Well, different helmet(8kx vs crystal). for example crystal don't get hot. G2 does.

• Like 1

Can the Pimax Crystal use Motion-Reprojection with the OpenXR Toolkit?

If not, what do you guys using to get a smooth and stutter free movement, if you move your head?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

1 hour ago, Nedum said:

Can the Pimax Crystal use Motion-Reprojection with the OpenXR Toolkit?

If not, what do you guys using to get a smooth and stutter free movement, if you move your head?

There is nothing in OpenXR Toolkit that precludes motion reprojection (well except Turbo mode). Motion Reprojection (aka motion smoothing) is a setting in Pimax Client, completely independent of OpenXR Toolkit. 

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 2

Hello @mbucchia,

thank you for your fast response.

The Motion-Reprojection of the OpenXR Toolkit depends on WMR? I've to ask, because my G2 is a WMR-HMD and can use the MR feature the OpenXR Toolkit offers out of the box.

What about SteamVR "MR". Does it work?

The "motion smoothing" Pimax offers seem not to work very well (if at all, as I can read in the reviews).  

1 hour ago, Nedum said:

Hello @mbucchia,

thank you for your fast response.

The Motion-Reprojection of the OpenXR Toolkit depends on WMR? I've to ask, because my G2 is a WMR-HMD and can use the MR feature the OpenXR Toolkit offers out of the box.

What about SteamVR "MR". Does it work?

The "motion smoothing" Pimax offers seem not to work very well (if at all, as I can read in the reviews).  

There is no motion reprojection in OpenXR Toolkit, it's only a shortcut to control the motion reprojection of WMR. OpenXR Toolkit doesn't do any motion reprojection.

SteamVR motion smoothing is only for SteamVR headsets AFAICT (Valve Index, HTC Vive) and you can't enable it with Pimax.

Pimax Smart smoothing had always been a little problematic. Are you using SteamVR or PimaxXR as your OpenXR runtime?