Waypoint TOS changes based on when a user slots (using "Fix Time" on waypoint)

creme_fraiche

I was attempting to set a fixed ToT for a waypoint for a Client/Player slot jet. I realized that the TOS values were off if the user slots in after the mission has started. I would expect the ToT to be fixed no matter when the pilot slots into the jet.

This is especially problematic in multiplayer (where someone might slot in after the server is un-paused), but reproducible in single player.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Add a waypoint with an ETA and "FIx Time" enabled

2. Slot in at mission launch and observe the STPT page for the steerpoint

3. Un-slot and let the server tick for a few seconds

4. Re-slot in the same jet (or another), and observe that the TOS value for the STPT is incorrect.

Expected Behavior:

The TOS value should be consistent with the Fix Time set in the Mission Editor.

Actual Behavior:

The amount of time the mission has been running will be added to the TOS. For example, if you re-slot at mission start + 17 seconds, your TOS value will be increased by 17 seconds.

I attempted to reproduce this in the Hornet, but it doesn't seem to take any "Fix Time" values for waypoints. Not sure if that is a bug or just  hasn't been implemented yet.

Workaround for this is to have everyone slot with the mission paused.

viper_tot.trk tot_test.miz

Edited by creme_fraiche
  • Like 3

Hey creme_fraiche,

This is because DCS (by default) doesn't want you to slot in with, say, 15 seconds to go with a ToS that would require you to have maybe a 10 minute flight to get to the STPT. If you look closely, when you have a desired ToS set in the ME, it will automatically assign a speed between waypoints to get you there 'on time'. Since it back-calculates from STPT 1 (first waypoint) to STPT 0 (starting location), STPT 2 back to STPT 1, etc it's actually using the speed required between the two points to calculate duration to hit the STPT on-time.

If you want to have specific times on target independent of the duration, the best way to do it is create a kneeboard showing the ToS for each STPT and leaving it up to the pilots to calculate airspeeds, fuel burns, etc. This generally works best when you create a mission that has plenty of time for everyone to reach a hold point and then give push times for each flight moving into an AO.

If you're working with AI, you can set them to hold at a given point (figure out when they'll get there) for a duration and they'll fly a holding orbit between that point and the next (so you'll need to set up 2 waypoints) until the 'push time' arrives, and then they'll move out to do what you want them to do.

2 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

the CombatFlite tool can help you with that. however it takes some time to get used to that tool. however pretty handy to coordinate larger scale missions.

Yeah I've used combatflite, pretty neat, the issue is if you have a TOS too far in the future like Target time and work your way back like in the real world, it can work however dcs will delay the flight until whatever stpt 1 is obtainable to reach

To creme's point, if we were able to assign tos in the future , we wouldn't have to worry about these deltas getting applied and tos changing after the mission has started if in the future enough time