ah-64 i want use it but...

giullep
Go to solution Solved by aaronwhite,

the frustrating thing is that during the mission if you go from pilot to gunner and vice versa often and willingly the helicopter loses altitude irreparably, or passing between the two, the helicopter loses control as soon as it arrives in the other position...practically not I can never finish a mission if I switch from one role to another...how to be stable??

today I tried again, three or four times passing between the two positions did not make me lose control (handhover on), but then flying as pilot switching to gunner, I set zero speed (menu george) and the apache lost altitude and crashed

• Solution

I do this pretty much exclusively when I fly, but usually what I'll do is make sure I've got enough altitude to work with. There's always going to be a bit of a problem, since your controls aren't where George's will be when you're going from the front seat to the back, but as long as you've got enough altitude, you should be okay.

The thing I've realized helps with switching to the front seat for me (and is just good practice in general) is to get as close to a "hands off" hover as you can in the back seat before switching to the front. It takes some time to get comfortable with the ALT/ATT holds, but I've been practicing getting into a hover with them, and it's made it a lot easier to switch seats.

Generally, I'll fly myself to the location I want to attack from, get behind cover and get my airspeed below 5 and steady my collective to hold altitude, and then I'll engage the altitude and attitude hold and give the helicopter a few moments to steady itself. Once that happens, I can switch to the front seat, and there's usually a little movement, and I often have to bring up the George menu to get him to point the helicopter back where I had it facing, but after that, it's pretty solid. Once I'm done, I'll switch back to the rear seat, at which point I usually start to instantly bring the collective up and add some rudder to start turning and gain airspeed again.

• Like 6

Nice and steady wins the race. 
I get to a point without the hold modes, where the chopper is steady and then switch 🙂

• Like 1

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 2:18 AM, giullep said:

today I tried again, three or four times passing between the two positions did not make me lose control (handhover on), but then flying as pilot switching to gunner, I set zero speed (menu george) and the apache lost altitude and crashed

giullep, the consensus here appears to be, in the nutshell version, that the more hands-off stable you can trim to in the pilot seat, the better chance of being in sync and virtually no chaos when you switch seats to CP/G. Just assure your vertical motion is in the positive when you switch from pilot to gunner....... the arrowhead on IHADSS altimeter should be slightly above middle bar on that scale; when switching seats, there's nothing that would force the heli into falling just because you switched seats.

This issue has tormented me until yesterday. Hope my idea has some logic and benefit to it 🙂

A track would be great. 
I know that I might overcorrect and have not in minute detail setup my curves. 

But since my Warthog stick is over 7 years old, I have some deadzone on both axis. If I wiggle the stick and I see movement in game on the joystick panel, I increase the deadzone until the ingame panel is not moving. 

Without deadzones, it is roughly half a diamond off center. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mah i fly in the ah-64 without problems and when i switch in from pilot to cpg, use George tight away to hover. But today, another time, after i shot a missile, i switched to the pilot and the ah-64 become uncontrollable. I try to trim but nothing to do 

This thing It happens often when switch from cpg (in hover) to pilot.

any help?

Edited by giullep

• 2 months later...
Il 7/5/2023 at 20:09, giullep ha scritto:

Mah i fly in the ah-64 without problems and when i switch in from pilot to cpg, use George tight away to hover. But today, another time, after i shot a missile, i switched to the pilot and the ah-64 become uncontrollable. I try to trim but nothing to do 

This thing It happens often when switch from cpg (in hover) to pilot.

any help?

Ant idea or help?

I only use George in the back seat to hover for me when I want to swap to the front and plink some targets faster than it would take George to do it up front.

Before swapping seats, I get the aircraft into the hover, trim, and enable both ALT and ATT hold modes, then swap to the front.  There is a brief wobble when George takes the controls but then he gets it sorted out and stable again.

When I want to switch back to the PLT seat, I tap "1" on the keyboard, followed by "T" which I have mapped to FTR, and as long as I don't touch my controls, this will re-establish the trim where it needs to be to maintain the hover, then I enable ATT and ALT Hold modes again.  This is all within a second or two, so fairly quick.

This works most of the time, or at least enough to where I can make some fine adjustments to stabilize.  This only works if you haven't told George to go anywhere for you while he is flying.

Edited by Floyd1212

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys, I don't understand and I ask you. I would really like to use ah-64 and make it my main module of use. But unfortunately it often becomes frustrating .. premise I fly alone and I would like to use the pilot and when I get to the target switch to the gunner and then return to the pilot. maybe I'm wrong and I should always do everything as a gunner, even piloting to avoid that when I switch from pilot to gunner, first I slow down and use george to stabilize me, finished shooting or something when I go back to pilot it happens that I lose altitude or the helicopter becomes uncontrollable and I crash..it's frustrating because after maybe half an hour of mission for something uncontrollable I crash...in the end I give up using the ah-64..every now and then I try again it seems to work and I switch from gunner to pilot, I can control the helicopter, but sometimes it does what it wants and maybe being close to the ground I crash ... frustrating! But it happens only to me?? 

does this happen to you too? is it a bug or do they still have to fix this transition phase between the two roles or am I wrong??

image.png

Part of the "problem" is that the AI doesn't use the force trim when flying from the back seat, so when the player takes control, the cyclic and pedals reset to center positions.

Personally, I turned off the automatic handover in the Special options so that I could freely switch between seats without having to worry about it, however I still have to fly the helicopter manually unless I command the handover. If you choose to allow the AI to take the controls, just be prepared to adjust your own controls quickly when taking command back.

• Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

@giullep What hardware are you using for your cyclic, collective, and pedals?  I think having pedals without springs helps tremendously as they are still in the correct position when you need to return to the PLT seat and resume control.

The key with swapping seats at a hover is to get yourself in a stable hover before handing off to George.  If you are only slowing down to 10 knots, and then let George come to a stop and establish the hover for you, your controls are not in the correct position for when you take back control from him.  He has added in a lot more collective and left pedal than you left him with.  This is where having the pedals without springs helps as they are right where you left them, and presumably the collective as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear! I haven't hopped online in the AH-64 since the last time where I ran into George having the settling with power issues, but I'm looking forward to check it out again once I get my moving situation sorted out.

Glad to hear it's working better for you!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After this pach the same. I fly like pilot, at battle position switch to cpg and halt in stationary the ah64, i fire all 8 hellfire…and when i switch to the pilot the heli come down immediately on ground…

ps. I saw that when i switch to the cpg… when i command to stop george is very stupid sometime and dont stop the eli….

frustrating..i will stop use the ah-64.. is always the same problem for me

AS someone else suggested - when u come back to pilot seat immediately go back to cpg, do not give any commands to George, come back to pilot and then will not crash. see thread with Flappie about loss of cyclic/control.  Only helps with crash problem from pilot seat. 

I-9 12900K, RTX 3090, 64 GB, 2TB SSD, Oculus Quest 2, Win 11, Winwing Orion F-16EX Stick, F-18 dual throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...