Trackir

Cpt. TRIJJ

It is now in week 8 that I have been trying to get the Trackir. Not even sure what it is about this particular item but it is currently unavailable world-wide. Has any1 in the last 2 months been able to purchase one of these? Please tell me where and what was the length of the delivery time?

Looks available here

https://www.trackir.com/trackir5/

what country are you trying to order from, the UK?

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 4/19/2023 at 7:52 AM, Nevyn said:

I think trackIR is past it's sell by date

How’s that? It’s the gold standard in head tracking. Those other alternatives don’t seem as high quality or reliable. Do they have their own software? They probably use Opentrack which is buggy freeware IMO. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

How’s that? It’s the gold standard in head tracking. Those other alternatives don’t seem as high quality or reliable. Do they have their own software? They probably use Opentrack which is buggy freeware IMO. 

A well made alternative tracking setup can be just as good if not better than TrackIR. In a blind taste test, you won't be able to tell which I shot you down with.

To the OP, just make your own, there is info everywhere and I can help if you PM me.

Edited by rfxcasey
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, rfxcasey said:

A well made alternative tracking setup can be just as good if not better than TrackIR. In a blind taste test, you won't be able to tell which I shot you down with.

To the OP, just make your own, there is info everywhere and I can help if you PM me.

Well TrackIR is easily available commercially. Which means hassle free and quality. The others seem boutique or DIY and don’t have their own software. I don’t see the advantage. In the US TrackIR is priced very reasonably so there’s not much to save going with something else. Just as good? Maybe… better? I don’t see how. 

On 4/19/2023 at 6:06 AM, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

currently unavailable world-wide

Don’t say that! It scares me 😆

Flight simulation would be dead without a good commercial head tracking product. I don’t think (hope) TrackIR is going away. 

15 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Good quality compatibility with Natural Point software AliExpress

See without the NP software this is dead. 

10 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

See without the NP software this is dead. 

Yes, NP software is absolutely necessary to use it as "real" TrackIR, that's not a true problem, I own the wireless clip and its quality is really better than original one, a friend own the package and he has no problem whith it.

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

7 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Yes, NP software is absolutely necessary to use it as "real" TrackIR, that's not a true problem, I own the wireless clip and its quality is really better than original one, a friend own the package and he has no problem whith it.

That looks like a Chinese TrackIR knockoff 😶

Edited by SharpeXB

33 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

That looks like a Chinese TrackIR knockoff 😶

Seeing most of the stuff we buy is either completely or has a lot of parts made in China these days that doesn't mean anything. I could very well come from the same factory as the NP device. Or it could be complete bate and switch rubbish, like 99% of the stuff sold by Wish.

I probably would have tried one of those after my original TrackIR broke if I had seen it in time because the NP asking price is crazy these days.   

8 minutes ago, Thx1137 said:

the NP asking price is crazy these days.

Not sure what “crazy these days” means. The price for TrackIR hasn’t changed in about 10 years at least here in the US and it’s quite reasonable. Accounting for inflation that means it’s actually gotten cheaper. I’m sure their pricing has to account for losses to piracy, so the legit buyers are supporting the freeloaders and piracy here. Nothing new in the world of tech I’m sure but that’s how it is. 

13 minutes ago, Thx1137 said:

Seeing most of the stuff we buy is either completely or has a lot of parts made in China these days that doesn't mean anything.

There’s a difference between making something under a license and just ripping it off. Just because two products might be made in China doesn’t mean they’re both legit. There are a lot of “Rolex” watches made in China too…

Hi Cpt. TRIJJ I just recently purchased TrackIR 5 about 4 - 6 weeks ago. I live in Canada, and I didn't want to risk buying from Amazon (because it doesn't look like NP has an official store there?), so I bought from their official reseller for Canada - https://www.extremegamingdevices.com/detailed_specification_pages/naturalpoint_trackir_5.html

Here is there list of official resellers for orders outside of the US, take a look - https://www.trackir.com/dealers 

I finally (about 2 months now) got hold of a Trackir 5. It has been that long since I've flown. I had forgotten a lot, sadly. I wasn't able to start it up. I'm still with the P51. Most of the Trackir, I've figured out (trail and error) so far. What I can't figure out is how to zoom in and those controls on my left. I can't get the camera angle I need. I zoom in and still can't read the marks. How did u guys overcome that obstacle?

One thing I skipped when reading up about it was so simple I don’t know how I did it.

first, the screen res was wrong but I didn’t realise. Nobody said anything about just whacking it on your head, looking at the centre of the screen and giving the big orange button a click. There are two, one above the other on the left side column for track ir and track ir pro-clip. Click whichever corresponds and bosh, it’s centred.

I also loaded a profile someone had fiddled with and I messed about with settings until I was happy with it.

excuse me if it sounds ridiculously simple or obvious but I sat there unable to see those buttons or what they were for and was stunned I’d somehow missed it.

Edited by Slippa

I have the track clip and had it clicked. Without Trackir, I could look left and see directly into those levers/knobs. With Trackir, the camera angle comes in behind those levers/knobs. I can't figure out how to make the camera "hold" directly into them. In the training mission (cold startup) even when I did manage to move the air controls, they still stayed in the "yellow brackets" and obviously the tutorial can't continue. When I try to "roll" the rudder trim, I can't see the numbers. Zoom in doesn't get the job done when the camera angle is from behind. Any way to correct this? I can "fly" the Mustang and have great visibility now. I just can't crank it up.  lol

When installing TrackIR for the first time, you should want the “smooth” preset. Not 1:1 which I think the software selects by default. Assuming you have the camera in a normal monitor top position, this setting should work without any other adjustments. I’ve never found it necessary to mess with TrackIR settings in any game. 

1 hour ago, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

With Trackir, the camera angle comes in behind those levers/knobs. I can't figure out how to make the camera "hold" directly into them.

TrackIR won’t “hold” onto anything as it continually moves your virtual head in 6DoF. To look behind the controls just move your head. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Maybe look at setting up some snap views? I use them if I don't want to pause TrackIR (Pause button on the bottom right of TrackIR). Snap views I have on the numberpad. I set up where I want to be looking, save the view then I can hold whichever numbered view I want. I use those for setting up the cockpit, startups, fiddling with radios in the Mossie (Not that I know what I'm doing).

Also, look at maybe moving the camera position? You can effectively move your pilots position around. Shouldn't be too far out in the Mustang from default I didn't think though?

Good luck setting it up, it's ideal once it's done.

I did go back in my Trackir settings to check on the 'smooth' setting. I had Yaw on One-to-One and the rest on smooth. I changed Yaw to smooth and that did help. Then I went to look at the Snap Views. Looked promising but (unless I Hotkey some of them) I cannot hold Ctrl or Shift + whatever and then move the cursor.  That would be correct, right... unless I key bind? Then I tried my first Mission Editor. I needed a short video to look at but was surprised to not have F1 (cockpit view). Is that the way the devs did it for Mission Editor? Surely not. Furthermore my Joystick and Throttle mal-functioned. As soon as I gave it some gas, I was full throttle but got the plane up anyways but couldn't climb/descend nor turn left/right properly. Now I am beginning believe I got a bad install originally of DCS and/or Trackir and/or Thrustmaster Downloads.  

Trackhat Opentrack system v2; still testing & tuning it, but it seems it will be my fav, no head thing needed. Installation difficulties were due windows,

you got to activate latter in privacy settings. Piece of cake to install it.

TrackIR5 i used until now, especially with IL2 FC and seems to have more tuning and view options to fiddle with, but the system 2 i have not figured out taht much yet.

Before that i had the Trackhat v1, was slightly more difficult to tune right. Might sell both track hat v1 and my thackIR5 LoL.

58 minutes ago, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

..... Furthermore my Joystick and Throttle mal-functioned....

Get rid of all the dead USB drivers uninstalling them with USBdeview ..

Edited by jackd

5 hours ago, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

Furthermore my Joystick and Throttle mal-functioned. As soon as I gave it some gas, I was full throttle but got the plane up anyways but couldn't climb/descend nor turn left/right properly.

Check to make sure you don’t have any commands double bound. That would cause this. 

There are no double-bound keys (using F1). F1 works in the Training Missions but not in the Mission Editor. The plane is in F2 view. Was there a Setting I missed that must be checked if I want to start the mission inside the cockpit?  I started my Mission in a parking spot just off the runway. I found no errors with my USB ports.