All I need for Falcon 4.0?

Arguss

I bought Falcon 4.0 Allied Force from the Best of Atari version about 2 months ago but haven't had the time to learn it yet. On different forums I read that there are several upgrades to it, mods and similar.

Just wondering what the "essential" upgrades are to get the most out of it? :D

Btw, where can i get the real F-16 layout for the Cougar HOTAS?

EDIT: F4 -> F4:AF

Edited by Arguss

Unfortunately, last time I checked, Frugals requires a non-web based email to register and registering is required for searching. I don't think there are any real "essentials" at this point. Most use OpenFalcon, FreeFalcon (both substantial, third-party upgrades that are not authorized by the current entity who owns the rights to the sim) or they just fly Allied Force.

Allied Force is probably as "essential" as you can get. To be honest, and assuming you bought an old copy of Falcon 4.0, I would have probably bought Allied Force first since you're getting a product that can play on XP/Vista right out of the box. You can always upgrade it with payware stuff like HiTiles and cockpits.

Personally, I like Red Viper. :) That being said, here's what I have to offer:

Here's a good thread from the ED forums:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=30841

If you do some searching, you may find more. For your HOTAS set up, I'm assuming that you have the original Falcon 4.0 and not Allied Force. Allied Force has an excellent section that gives you the keyboard shortcuts for each HOTAS function as they apply to each button. If you don't have Allied Force or you don't want to program, I would check these places for a layout:

http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/index.php

http://www.f4forums.com/forums/

http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/

The first two links also happen to be the websites for Red Viper(FreeFalcon) and OpenFalcon.

Edited by RedTiger
  • Like 1

In case anyone is wondering, F4AF and Red Viper wont play very well on Vista. I know first hand. That is unless someone can tell me how they managed to get it working without all the bugs...

Hmm...I've trolled the FreeFalcon forums about Vista and the complaints I've seen are for the 64 bit version. I take it that's what you have? I've see "official" looking posts saying that there are no major issues too. Hmm...

Might want to check here:

http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/search.php?searchid=58289

To me FF and OF are like little miracles to me. A buggy piece of software running on an OS they weren't intended for. Maybe Vista/7 are the end of the line?

Edited by RedTiger

ah damn, thought Falcon 4.0 and Falcon 4.0 Allied Force were the same... :poster_oops: I have Falcon 4.0 Allied Force from Best of Atari box

So OpenFalcon and FreeFalcon are upgrades for F4. And F4:AF is the officially upgraded F4? And Red Viper is another upgrade package for F4?

I wonder if i should just learn the basics with the right form the box version while i read up on some of the upgrades(might as well take some time). Seems to enough material :book:

Tried to look for finished Cougar layouts on the Cougar World page(http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/files.php) ...ehm... 11 different versions or so :P But since I have F4:AF I don't have to bother with the different SuperPacks and BMS(?)? Only the ones for F4 Allied Force.

Thanks for the quick info btw :thumbup:

Taken from mvsgas in the thread I linked:

--Allied Force is the last and only official patch since Micropose went down. It is (comparative speaking) easier to connect on line but 10 year behind any other game (big surprise coming from a 10 year old game ). It is easier to access and more available since it is still in stores. Graphics are awful and so are the avionics compare to other mods.

-- Open Falcon is the avionics mod. Some people have been successful using this mod on line. I have problems with the program that lunches it online ( repace luncher). The avionics are very complicated, to the point that the game comes with a avionics manual (BMS-34, same format as the real aircraft) Radios have to be working properly to fly online ( or so I hear).

You can set it to have maintenance fault so many flying hours and the faults would be randomize. You control your data link and even have to set up your DTC like the real jet (to a point of course).

-- Red viper strong point is the graphics. Great effects (I know, It can not compare to other game, blah, blah) and cool features like 6DOF HUD and really cool JADAM utilization. You can lunch them to coordinates and the bomb will tell you when in range. Very hard to play online and again some other problems.

This is the long and the short of it. Some other considerations:

- Red Viper is FreeFalcon. Version 4, infact. Red Viper is just what they decided to call that version. Red Viper can be installed over Allied Force AND regular Falcon 4.0

- Open Falcon can only be installed over regular Falcon 4.0.

- No, if you have Allied Force, you have the finished product. Just patch it up to be current. No other modification required. The only "upgrades" are payware things like HiTiles, Aeyes pits, Stopworks, etc.

- As I said, you can refer to you Allied Force manual for an illustrated layout that allows you to program your HOTAS.

ok that cleared things up abit :)

I think I'll install Red Viper first, then go to Open Falcon later when I'v learned the sim more.

Looked for somewhere to download Red viper/open falcon and found this page:

http://falcon4.0files.googlepages.com/falcon4.0files

But it lists both Red Viper and Open Falcon. Whats the difference here? :S

Btw is there an other page thats better?

ok that cleared things up abit :)

I think I'll install Red Viper first, then go to Open Falcon later when I'v learned the sim more.

Looked for somewhere to download Red viper/open falcon and found this page:

http://falcon4.0files.googlepages.com/falcon4.0files

-Open Falcon is a add on to the original Falcon 4.0 released by MicroProse in 1998. You need the Original game.

-Falcon Allied Force is a product based on the original 1998 game Falcon 4.0. released by Lead Pursuit.

- Red Viper is a add on that can be used ( I have any way) with ether version, Falcon 4.0 from 1998 or Falcon Allied Force.

Red Viper, Free Falcon, BMS, Supper Pack and Open Falcon ( I might have miss some) are add on to the original Falcon 4.0 game from 1998. This add-ons where and are created by enthusiast of the game that have kept falcon alive for a decade ( Thank you guys, Love the work) All this guys distribute their products for free and they do have some bug but, in my opinion, are a very dedicated and talented group that I ( as a Falcon Fan) owe many thanks. Allied Force was or is an attempt at a actual company to work on the original game. Like other said there are other add-ons but the ones I mention are complete reworks, as they add many different features and different ideas.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Btw, where can i get the real F-16 layout for the Cougar HOTAS?

EDIT: F4 -> F4:AF

Look in Google for BMS-DASH34, if you find it and can download it it should show you a good set up for cougar if you want to program it yourself. Where to download a profile? I can not help you since I do not have a cougar.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

To install OF (OPEN FALCON) you need the following PARTS !

FALCON 4.0 (from Microprose) and not FALCON 4.0 ALLIED FORCE.

If you have the FALCON 4.0 installed on your System, you can start the INSTALLER from OPEN FALCON.

The VIRTUAL FIGTHER SQUADRON, that i'm a member from http://http://49thblackdiamonds.com/ , know a lot of Tips to got to do with FALCON, and we fligth most missions whit our Friends called The Freebirds, most american Pilots or even English Pilots.

Watch out in the Forum at there for more Info. Not all the Peoples ofer there are talking so much english but these two Guys i am for sure they know. The Nicknames are Dragonfly (He is one of our Trainers) or Firebird (He is a Trainer, too) ! If you use TEAMSPEAK, so you can connect to the TEAMSPEAKSERVER and ask for Help to the Community so much Poeples ofer there can give you help.

If you want to fly some FALCON 4.0 ALLIED FORCE MISSIONS it is a way to get connect to our Squodron 49th Blackdiamonds and learn alot about that Simulation.

So first Time i beginn to fly ofer there, i even know how to land an F-16, on a AIRCRAFTCARRIER, but it works.

RV/FF and OF are all technically not officially authorized. I don't know if you can call this "illegal" but it all boils down to unauthorized overhauls of software by people who do not own the rights to it. I'm still not totally sure of the legality. If I own the software, and I'm not pirating it, I should be allowed to do whatever I want with it. Also, if the FF and RV guys aren't selling their software, I don't see what the problem with it is. Taking legal action against FF and RV would be like ED taking legal action against the makers of L'Armée de l'Air, IMO.

However, getting either is a bit of an "under the table" affair. The only place to get them, to my knowledge, is from torrents.

Here's why it isn't legal: You can 'do whatever you like' with the copy of that binary, so long as you don't distribute it I suppose.

You are however not the least bit entitled to the source code. And that's what those guys have. Illegal is correct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

- Red Viper is FreeFalcon. Version 4, infact. Red Viper is just what they decided to call that version.

RV and FF are also different teams that worked together on FF4:RV. And guess what, they just split up again:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=136976&page=3

Falcon history repeating itself... ;)

Here's why it isn't legal: You can 'do whatever you like' with the copy of that binary, so long as you don't distribute it I suppose.

You are however not the least bit entitled to the source code. And that's what those guys have. Illegal is correct.

I didn't think about that. I guess the key difference here is that they have the source code for Falcon, while the guys who made L'Armée de l'Air do not have the source code for LOMAC.

• 2 weeks later...
RV and FF are also different teams that worked together on FF4:RV. And guess what, they just split up again:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=136976&page=3

Falcon history repeating itself... ;)

Oooooooo Crap

Thanks for the heads up Acedy.

Interesting to see the alleged use of FF forums to kick RV.

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

• 1 month later...

attachment.php?attachmentid=26435&stc=1&d=1239037790

A timeline ^

Feel free to use Dr.Google; www.google.com

But yeah it is a PIA to learn about all the different versions. Just remember, the only current versions of Falcon 4.0 are: 'FF5', 'Open Falcon', and 'Falcon 4.0: Allied Force'.

To use FF5 you need an install of Falcon-4.0 or Allied Force.

FF5 and Open Falcon are mods made by the community.

You can 'dual install' so that you can play both Allied Force or FF5/OF depending on your mood.

FF5 has updated AI, graphics, weapon systems, new cockpits etc etc if you like those things.

I'm not very sure about OF, AFAIK it is mainly just about modelling the F-16 and it's systems in detail (to a very high level).

Both are 'better' than Allied force in every area, HOWEVER Allied Force is still the most popular version of Falcon, namely because it has the most stable multiplayer experience (afaik).

FF5 is apparently extremely hit and miss with stability in MP, I don't know about Open Falcon - I can't play it on my system.

967633598_Falconhistory.thumb.jpg.66dc5cea7b462a35d5ee81d38e40b161.jpg

Edited by CE_Mikemonster

GO APE SH*T

Yeah, it's very complicated - But remember Falcon is 10 years old and still going strong!

I installed Allied Force a while back for a 'blast from the past' and it took me ages to find the modding community (and then find a current mod, even though there's only two!).

Was very much worth it though. Check out the Open Falcon [4.7] and FF5 websites and forums. You won't regret it.

One note though; check compatibility with your system in the forums/FAQ's BEFORE you dl the installer lol. OF stung me like that hehehe.

There is a hell of a lot more to both mods than the small summary I posted before, they are very.. expansive[!?].

GO APE SH*T