DCS on Ryzen 7800X3D and Flanker 1.5 on 166 MMX...

mazex

A bit fun for us that have been along the whole ride. Live, side by side comparison...

DCS on Ryzen 7800X3D with an RTX 3080 and Virpil Hotas. 

vs

Flanker 1.5 on a Pentium 166 MMX with a Voodoo 2 and a CH Flightstick. Wrong era monitor though...

Usually fly DCS in VR that looks even better.

PXL_20230516_205238580.jpg

Edited by mazex
  • Like 4

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

And yet I had a world of fun flying Flanker 1.5. It's the main reason I'm with DCS today.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

6 hours ago, sthompson said:

And yet I had a world of fun flying Flanker 1.5. It's the main reason I'm with DCS today.

Agreed. Flanker was the first good implementation of high alpha, and it stills fell good to buzz the shores of Crimea with the CH Flightstick 🙂 Been with it since then...

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

But how well does it handle a stalled hammer head and/or tail slide?

• Like 2

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 5/18/2023 at 1:07 AM, M1Combat said:

Agreed that they had some work still left to do back in the 90:ies, but they gradually improved and that's why they are still in the business 😉 But compared to the "on rails" behavior's of the competition in those days, it was a bit of a revolution the first time you tried it. The aircraft suddenly felt like it was flying through air.

But - there is a lot of work to be done yet. The current DCS is not even close to handle an Abracadabra with the YAK-52, that I have done in that AC IRL... But that's a pretty out of the normal envelope maneuver 😉 Overall, the out of envelope behavior is where most flight sims feel odd to me. 

• Like 1

Yeah I feel like the Yak still needs a decent bit in the FM department but I'm only going by what I've heard.  How does the extra, edge or even maybe the spitfire do with that one?

• Like 1

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 5/18/2023 at 1:07 AM, M1Combat said:

It's absolutely not unsimilar to what DCS still does if you happen to have something that's still on SFM. And it's not been that long ago when there still were some FC3 modules that way (2018ish). I was so glad when the last plane finally made the conversion 🙂

I never had a CH stick though... my line of them was/is: (Competition Pro, SVI QuickShot II Pro,) Gravis Analog, Gravis Analog Pro, Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2, Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Added Simped Vario Pro USB pedals later, then HOTAS Warthog throttle and replaced the pedals by MFG Crosswinds.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

6 hours ago, Eldur said:

It's absolutely not unsimilar to what DCS still does if you happen to have something that's still on SFM. And it's not been that long ago when there still were some FC3 modules that way (2018ish). I was so glad when the last plane finally made the conversion 🙂

That's kinda what I was thinking.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:22 AM, mazex said:

Brings back memories for sure ! 

Thank you !

image.png

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta