A/G radar gain

brettt777
Go to solution Solved by brettt777,

Is there some kind of AGC on the A/G radar? Seems to me I used to get much better returns on the ground map mode. But now even with the gain turned up, the ground returns seem very weak. Has something changed recently?

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

13 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

we have not made any changes regarding this 

thank you

Well, then  I wonder why my F-16 ground radar works so poorly? I was actually flying the FA-18 last night. I was about 36,000 feet over the Saudi Arabian desert and could barely get anything on that radar as well. So what the heck am I doing wrong? None of my ground radars are working.

• Like 1

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

• ED Team
On 5/24/2023 at 4:17 AM, brettt777 said:

Well, then  I wonder why my F-16 ground radar works so poorly? I was actually flying the FA-18 last night. I was about 36,000 feet over the Saudi Arabian desert and could barely get anything on that radar as well. So what the heck am I doing wrong? None of my ground radars are working.

it seems to be working here, are you sure you have the correct range and squint angle set. 

A track replay would help if possible

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 5/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, BIGNEWY said:

it seems to be working here, are you sure you have the correct range and squint angle set. 

A track replay would help if possible

thank you

Okay, so here's a track file. This is between 6K and 7K altitude, about 20 miles off the coast. 40 mile range, antenna right in the center. Compare it to the A/G radar in this Youtube video, similar altitude and range, at about 1:25 in. You can see that the radar in my track file is considerably weaker than the YT video, with the radar set up the exact same way. 

When you say squint angle, are you talking about the antenna elevation or is there some other setting I am not familiar with? I was an avionics technician both military and civilian for most of the last four decades but I have never heard of squint angle.

F-16C_Weak AG Radar.trk

• Like 1

• ED Team

Hi, 

the target should be 30 to 45 degrees off to the left or right for best results.

please try and see if it helps. 

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

the target should be 30 to 45 degrees off to the left or right for best results.

please try and see if it helps. 

thank you

Okay, I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for that. 

While I got you here, let me lay something else on you that has started happening recently. I recently upgraded from a Logitech X56 to a Winwing Orion 2 system. I have the FA-18 throttle handles but opted for the F-16EX stick grip cuz I need the extra hats for other aircraft/sims. For the first week or so, everything was fine. All aircraft seemed to respond well to the Winwing system and I am very happy with it for the most part. But the other day I got into the Hornet and had one heck of a time controlling the thing airborne. I noticed that the movement of the control stick was very jerky and not smooth and precise as it usually is. You can see it in the track file. I checked all the control settings and in the axis page, you can see that the input from the stick is very precise and smooth. But in the aircraft it isn't. I verified there are no duplicate control settings. Then, while airborne, I put the sim into Active Pause. Suddenly the stick movement was nice and smooth as it should be. Active Pause off and back to a jerky stick. You can see all this in the track file. Here's a couple other weird things about it. When the stick is very jerky like that, all other controls, rudder, throttle, etc. are fine. It's only pitch and roll. As I stated before, in Active Pause, the stick is fine. Also, I have flown half a dozen other aircraft using the same stick and they don't have this problem. The Winwing system works great in all other aircraft and in all other sims. Only the Hornet has a problem. And to make it even more weird, I connected my old Logitech G940 FFB stick in place of the Winwing system. No problem at all. Nice and smooth at all times. Also, this same stick and throttle work fine in other sims. 

So, I'm kind of at a loss. Why would the Winwing suddenly not like the Hornet and only the Hornet?

Actually, that's not quite true. I was flying the F-16 earlier today and it started doing the same thing. And also the same; rudder and throttle are fine and when you put it in active pause the pitch and roll are fine. 

FA-18 Jerky stick.trk

• ED Team
On 5/27/2023 at 8:01 PM, brettt777 said:

Okay, I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for that. 

While I got you here, let me lay something else on you that has started happening recently. I recently upgraded from a Logitech X56 to a Winwing Orion 2 system. I have the FA-18 throttle handles but opted for the F-16EX stick grip cuz I need the extra hats for other aircraft/sims. For the first week or so, everything was fine. All aircraft seemed to respond well to the Winwing system and I am very happy with it for the most part. But the other day I got into the Hornet and had one heck of a time controlling the thing airborne. I noticed that the movement of the control stick was very jerky and not smooth and precise as it usually is. You can see it in the track file. I checked all the control settings and in the axis page, you can see that the input from the stick is very precise and smooth. But in the aircraft it isn't. I verified there are no duplicate control settings. Then, while airborne, I put the sim into Active Pause. Suddenly the stick movement was nice and smooth as it should be. Active Pause off and back to a jerky stick. You can see all this in the track file. Here's a couple other weird things about it. When the stick is very jerky like that, all other controls, rudder, throttle, etc. are fine. It's only pitch and roll. As I stated before, in Active Pause, the stick is fine. Also, I have flown half a dozen other aircraft using the same stick and they don't have this problem. The Winwing system works great in all other aircraft and in all other sims. Only the Hornet has a problem. And to make it even more weird, I connected my old Logitech G940 FFB stick in place of the Winwing system. No problem at all. Nice and smooth at all times. Also, this same stick and throttle work fine in other sims. 

So, I'm kind of at a loss. Why would the Winwing suddenly not like the Hornet and only the Hornet?

Actually, that's not quite true. I was flying the F-16 earlier today and it started doing the same thing. And also the same; rudder and throttle are fine and when you put it in active pause the pitch and roll are fine. 

FA-18 Jerky stick.trk 286.62 kB · 1 download

For controller issues you might have better luck creating a new thread here:
https://forum.dcs.world/forum/344-controller-questions-and-bugs/

Thanks!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Solution
On 5/29/2023 at 5:31 PM, NineLine said:

For controller issues you might have better luck creating a new thread here:
https://forum.dcs.world/forum/344-controller-questions-and-bugs/

Thanks!

Actually I figured it out. The SImAppPro software that is used with the Winwing system seems to be the culprit. When I use it in DCS without bringing up the software, No jerky stick AND I got the A/G radar in the JF-17 to work. I don't know if it had anything to do with it but the first time I tried it without the SimAppPro software, the A/G radar worked great. The A/G radars in the Hornet and Viper are also suddenly working correctly now as well.

Edited by brettt777