Starter Bug? No Primer Pump needed to start engine.

Stahlwolle
Go to solution Solved by saburo_cz,

Hello and good morning virtual pilots!

Yesterday i expirienced a thing of which i am not sure if its a "bug" or a correct thing:

i was sitting in the bf-109 and set fuel pump selectors, pushed in the circuit breakers, switched the magnetos, open radiators, opened oxygene valve and asked the ground crew to run inertial starter. so far so good i tought. So i pulled the starter handle when the ground chief gave the signal and my engine started sucessfully. Perfect! But... hold on - there was something missing - i did not touched the primer pump! should my engine start sucessfully without touching that pump at all? As most players in DCS i am NOT familiar with the real thing and i am no pilot in real world - so i dont realy know if thats possible or if its a minor bug here - just wanted to ask. Today i did same with same result - so i double-checked 🙂

Thanks for your attention,

best regards,

w

Edited by Stahlwolle

Just like the remaining German piston engines in the game, this one features a direct fuel injection rather than pressure carburettors as in all Allied warbirds. Thus I suppose priming is not a must-have, but rather nice-to-have if fuel pressure drops while cranking (but that isn't simulated I believe, at least not as long as both pumps are working correctly), or when weather is very cold (but I admit I've never tested that really).

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• Solution

It is most likely bug.

Several strokes were required in past for engine start.

The descripion of the DB 605A engine run-up mentions engine prime as a one step in engine preparation for start. (this is copied in DCS manual)
Unfortunately manual for plane with DB 605D, wich we have, is not available, but there is no single evidence of any change in engine run-up procedure. At least so far.

• Like 3

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

• 4 weeks later...