Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

14 hours ago, Gorn_GER said:

Me personal, blocked the VR Flight Sim Guy in my Youtube Home, because in my opinion, he talks alot bull<profanity> in his videos. I do not know how his videos are today but back than, he overhyped everything and after that gave silly critic. Often his Video Titles sounds like he got the one and only solution for a problem you have and the context of the video itself is meaningless bla bla bla about things that do not work, nor exist or sometimes has nothing to do with the title. If I need help, I never watch his videos. Does not say, he never showed something that worked but as german i would use a saying like: "Even a blind chicken sometimes finds a grain"

Look at this Thumbnail: "THE QUEST 3 HAS A.. SERIOUS PROBLEM!". This sounds like overall the produkt is bad like if a newspaper would say "soon we all die" just to say in the article that the clima change is still as bad as we already know. 

100% this, he provides nothing more than thinly veiled clickbait. It's also fairly apparent from many of his videos that he just harvests "tips" and settings from others and doesn't really have much basis for the recommendations other than someone else's work.

Almost every post of his has one of these hyperbolic titles asking "Is this headset *insert brand here* the new leader for flightsims"

• Like 2
i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

Has anyone found a link cable that successfully maintains the q3 charge or increases it during play?

I've tried these three (v1 and v2 of Kuject) but all behave the same, only adding about an extra hour of use from a fully charged battery. The headset still goes completely flat. Have tried the q pro, q3 and samsung high amp chargers

nullnullnull

image.png

image.png

Has anyone found a link cable that successfully maintains the q3 charge or increases it during play?
I've tried these three (v1 and v2 of Kuject) but all behave the same, only adding about an extra hour of use from a fully charged battery. The headset still goes completely flat. Have tried the q pro, q3 and samsung high amp chargers
nullnullnull
image.png.4eda763bc6e647d8c6d1130dcb22c791.png
image.png.5f1ff313fce7e8d31ac69f24289c7cd3.png
I ordered the white one to use when I get the quest pro because I was told that it works for that headset without issues. It seems the 3 is more power hungry. I'm assuming you did follow the instructions on the sequence for connecting the cable.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

if anyone wants a simple single batch file to enable 30hz etc. paste the below instructions into a .txt file and change the extension to  .bat   you can run it any time or while flying 

to confirm it's working, you can type this into the CLI window   server:asw.mode

echo server:asw.clock30 > "TEMP.txt"

echo exit >> "TEMP.txt"

call "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugToolCLI.exe" -f "%~dp0\TEMP.txt"

del "TEMP.txt"

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Thanks 1

A completely unintuitive solution has solved a bunch of the issues I was seeing post patch this morning. I'm running a Quest 3 with 4090 and was seeing pretty consistent performance prior to the patch with settings set very high and 4x MSAA. Subjective of course but like everyone I have a few goto dense area flybys I use to test to my own taste.

Prior to the Patch I was using Quad-Views-Foveated with a custom config set to 1.25 inner and 0.7 outer in fixed mode for the Quest 3. Oculus settings were basically all defaulted with a dynamic bitrate on link and ASW turned off. Pre patch I was pretty consistently maintaining 72fps with occasional dips.

Post patch I updated Quad-Views-Foveated to incorporate today's fixes and tried out a variety of settings with DLSS/DLAA with very poor results. Against my better judgement I uninstalled QVF set my Oculus Desktop PD to 1.5 and turned on DLSS Quality...... I'm back to buttery smooth.

It seems very counter intuitive to me,  though I have no doubt there is some explanation. Wondering if @mbucchia might be able to shed light on this at some point 

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

56 minutes ago, nilpointer said:

A completely unintuitive solution has solved a bunch of the issues I was seeing post patch this morning. I'm running a Quest 3 with 4090 and was seeing pretty consistent performance prior to the patch with settings set very high and 4x MSAA. Subjective of course but like everyone I have a few goto dense area flybys I use to test to my own taste.

Prior to the Patch I was using Quad-Views-Foveated with a custom config set to 1.25 inner and 0.7 outer in fixed mode for the Quest 3. Oculus settings were basically all defaulted with a dynamic bitrate on link and ASW turned off. Pre patch I was pretty consistently maintaining 72fps with occasional dips.

Post patch I updated Quad-Views-Foveated to incorporate today's fixes and tried out a variety of settings with DLSS/DLAA with very poor results. Against my better judgement I uninstalled QVF set my Oculus Desktop PD to 1.5 and turned on DLSS Quality...... I'm back to buttery smooth.

It seems very counter intuitive to me,  though I have no doubt there is some explanation. Wondering if @mbucchia might be able to shed light on this at some point 

Response from another thread this is also being discussed: 

2 hours ago, nilpointer said:

Prior to the Patch I was using Quad-Views-Foveated with a custom config set to 1.25 inner and 0.7 outer in fixed mode for the Quest 3.

How do you use QVF with Q3 that doesn't have eye tracking?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

In fixed mode it does not need eye tracking. It sets it to a static section of the view which you can configue values for.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Wow, how good does DLAA look! I never thought I'd see the day where DCS had virtually no shimmer anywhere on the screen and still sharp (when running pixel density 2.0).  fps is still pretty good most of the time on marianas map

Yep Hoirtel - I think we're back to square one again for setups 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sze5003 said:
17 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

In fixed mode it does not need eye tracking. It sets it to a static section of the view which you can configue values for.

but isn't that job done by the Fixed Foveated option already available in OpenXR Toolkit?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

but isn't that job done by the Fixed Foveated option already available in OpenXR Toolkit?
I believe they are different implementations so you could use whichever one you prefer.

I would really like to test the new AA modes. But I can't select any other than MSAA 2x/4x. And Upscaling is set to OFF, and can't change that ones options either.

• NEW: Anti-Aliasing. If Upscaling is set to OFF, three anti-aliasing modes are available.
    • Multi-Sampling Anti-Aliasing (MSAA)
    • Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA)
    • Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA)

Im using the Q3 right now with Link Cable and forcing DCS with OpenXR and using OpenXR Toolkit. PD in DCS is 1.0. No scaling in the toolkit settings either. Or does the 1.5x in Oculus app count as Upscaling, and therefore not being able to use other AA modes? Does anyone know?

Or is it only with the MT version it works? 

(7800X3D with RTX4090)

Edited by Snuten

58 minutes ago, Snuten said:

Or is it only with the MT version it works?

From the link:

NEW: Added support for Nvidia DLSS. Using upscaling, Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) can dramatically improve game performance if you are Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) limited. Multi-Threading must be enabled to enable DLSS. Please note that if your CPU is limited, DLSS will have little to no performance effect. Owners of Nvidia 20-, 30-, and 40-series graphics card will most benefit from this. With DLSS selected as the Upscaling option, you can further refine quality versus performance with Quality, Balance, Performance, and Ultra Performance presets.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

3 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

Wow, how good does DLAA look! I never thought I'd see the day where DCS had virtually no shimmer anywhere on the screen and still sharp (when running pixel density 2.0).  fps is still pretty good most of the time on marianas map

Yep Hoirtel - I think we're back to square one again for setups 😄

Yeah seems to be. Although running DLAA for me looks very bad. All distance very blurry. I am running over link with reprojection at the moment. Maybe I should switch to VD and try to not use ASW. 

For those that use VD with the Q3, should I add DCS to my steam library. Currently launching off the desktop...

Edited by Hoirtel

Hoirtel - if you've got a 4090, try turning the supersampling right up, whatever method you prefer

multithreading must be a monster. I can run absolutely everything fully maxed in DCS including the vr pixel density (set to 2.5). Almost no noticeable aliasing whatsoever. I can see the cranes scaffolding from a mile or two away which I normally can't.

Marianas and Caucasus are mostly smooth at 30Hhz. However, there are occasional stutters in exactly the same place every flight, regardless of graphics quality settings, pixel override settings or link settings. I'm guessing it's a bug of some kind with multithreading and I can see there is headroom for cranking graphics up even further if there were options to do so.  

If this ever gets sorted, DCS will look stunning

Edited by Dogmanbird

22 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

Hoirtel - if you've got a 4090, try turning the supersampling right up, whatever method you prefer

multithreading must be a monster. I can run absolutely everything fully maxed in DCS including the vr pixel density (set to 2.5). Almost no noticeable aliasing whatsoever. I can see the cranes scaffolding from a mile or two away which I normally can't.

Marianas and Caucasus are mostly smooth at 30Hhz. However, there are occasional stutters in exactly the same place every flight, regardless of graphics quality settings, pixel override settings or link settings. I'm guessing it's a bug of some kind with multithreading and I can see there is headroom for cranking graphics up even further if there were options to do so.  

If this ever gets sorted, DCS will look stunning

Where are you supersampling? Are you on link? I have just been tinkering with VD and really can't say I get on with it over link, but DLAA looks really bad. Must have something wrong! 

My GPU driver was also 537.45 so gonna update to 545.84. 

If you are using openxr on link was is your approx GPU render time (advanced FPS counter)

Edited by Hoirtel

I'm cabled link

I'm using dcs in-game VR setting pixel density for  supersampling. It's at max 2.5

I don't use openxrtoolkit for anything except for hand tracking emulation in MSFS, but it's res override option achieves the same as doing it in game. Set it to max with in-game at 1

Oculus debug tool is set to defaults except for;

Link sharpening = quality

Encoder bit rate 500

Codec H264 (but not much noticeable difference with H265)

I've got ASW set to 30Hz and headset running at 90Hz - if not aware, grass and road vehicles seem to animate at 30 fps/Hz if ASW is set at 30, therefore no interpolation to 90 (so may have some ATW ghosting), while most other graphics (buldings / terrain / trees) will be interpolated to 90Hz and shouldn't have ghosting/doubling appearance

So far I've not been able to get VD or airlink to look as good as cable

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

From the link:

NEW: Added support for Nvidia DLSS. Using upscaling, Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) can dramatically improve game performance if you are Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) limited. Multi-Threading must be enabled to enable DLSS. Please note that if your CPU is limited, DLSS will have little to no performance effect. Owners of Nvidia 20-, 30-, and 40-series graphics card will most benefit from this. With DLSS selected as the Upscaling option, you can further refine quality versus performance with Quality, Balance, Performance, and Ultra Performance presets.

Thanks, I just read the release notes from the News section. 🙂 But that's a bummer. For some reason MT for me is the worst stutter-fest. Don't understand why. I even upgraded my whole computer from i9 900k + 3090 to 7800x3D and 4090. Exactly the same extreme stutter with MT. 😞

But I tried both DLAA, TAA, and it looked awful, blurry mess even though Im running about 3000x3000px per eye. So back to ST DCS and MSAA 4x @72hz 🙂