Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

Hey guys, is there a way to play wireless with the Q3 at Max Quality as smooth (constant 72 fps)? if it was wired If I have to buy a WiFI-6 or WiFi 6E-Router, so be it. But if it does not possible, I will stick with my Amplifi HD Setup (PC connected via Ethernet to WiFi 5 Amplifi HD router configured as an Access Point Quest 3 2 meters from station). AirLink reports 833 Mbps connection speed, but I do not use AirLink (other than for measuring the conneciton speed), but Virtual Desktop. 

Edited by warmachine79

Hey guys, is there a way to play wireless with the Q3 at Max Quality as smooth (constant 72 fps)? if it was wired If I have to buy a WiFI-6 or WiFi 6E-Router, so be it. But if it does not possible, I will stick with my Amplifi HD Setup (PC connected via Ethernet to WiFi 5 Amplifi HD router configured as an Access Point Quest 3 2 meters from station). AirLink reports 833 Mbps connection speed, but I do not use AirLink (other than for measuring the conneciton speed), but Virtual Desktop. 
You should be able to if you use virtual desktop. At least that's how one guy on YouTube did it. He didn't mention if he needed a wifi 6e router or not.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

You have a link?
For virtual desktop you need to pay for it and download the client on the oculus as well as a the PC client to stream your games.

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Just gonna post some thoughts about Q3. 🙂

I have been using Reverb G2 since it came and liked it a lot. I always chased 45 fps since I want max resolution and clarity(I wish I could have that in 90fps though) I now have a 4090 card and could increase it even more. 

But I recently bought the Q3(release date) and I have now tweaked the Oculus settings to my likings. Im running it with cable and max resolution (1.6x?) @90hz and also 800 in bitrate(you need to write 800 in like notepad and copy/paste the value in the debug tool, otherwise the max value is like 600 or something), then forcing DCS to openXR and using OpenXR Toolkit with foveated render at 45 fps. At first I did not quite like the video compression feel of it. But after a while I overcome the annoyance of the "video quality" it has. I know I must say I am quite satisfied with it. And I think that is the pancake lenses+resolution+FOV. The sweet spot is everywhere. So the speed sensation is much higher since I "see" things on the sides that otherwise was out of focus because of the G2's fresnel lenses. 

Not sure if Im gonna replace the G2 though, need to make some more comparisons between the two. But I can say, if you have something worse than the G2, I think the Q3 is a good upgrade. The G2 is much sharper in the centre, perhaps since it is direct feed video in the G2.

The biggest con is that it drains battery even though it is on my "charging" USB-C port. So I hope I'll find some USB-C cable with external power supply soon.

(I know about the Pico, but not sure about the compatibility with OpenXR and how the software for tweaking is.)

🙂

Edited by Snuten
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snuten said:

The biggest con is that it drains battery even though it is on my "charging" USB-C port. So I hope I'll find some USB-C cable with external power supply soon.(I kn

Picked this up last week to replace my normal link cable. Works well at extending the charge for longer flight sessions. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TN25765?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Picked this up last week to replace my normal link cable. Works well at extending the charge for longer flight sessions. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TN25765?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
What's the difference between the QC protocol version and the PD version of that cable?

1 hour ago, RaJaN said:

Wasnt impressed with Q3 in DCS till i tried VD with AV1, Huuuge improvement

I bought VD the other day. From what I can see Meta doesn't yet support AV1 in via the links. I haven't tried it yet but hoping this will help my compression issues. Sounds like you have had a good experience! 

1 hour ago, RaJaN said:

I read some info about using something with VD but never understood how and why. At first my experience was like an old VHS movie, no matter what I did. But then I came across a reddit forum that was for Quest 2. There a guy explained the settings in the oculus debug tool. And also that you could increase the bitrate by pasting in the digits rather than typing and that you could go up to 960mbit. But I think a setting that is supposed to distribute the pixels more to the center and lesser to the edges, distortion setting(don't remember what it was called, not at the computer:) ), and it should be on "low" instead of default or high. After this it looked more like a 4k movie rather than VHS. 

But if VD would make it even better I should give that a try. Can you explain what it is with VD that makes it better? 🙂 

6 hours ago, vladimusmaximus said:

Any ideas on best practices, should I be running this through Oculus runtime?

Im using Oculus runtime and using --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR in the DCS .exe start line. Not sure if that's the way to go though.

Upgraded from the Rift S to the Quest 3 and having a problem. Rift S worked really well and was expecting a better experience. I am using the Oculus Link cable, load up Oculus PC software, plug cable into headset, start Oculus Link in headset. I can then see the old VR scene like the Rift S but it is very bad quality image compared to the Rift S. Load up DCS from the PC desktop, fly a mission, runs smoothly but looks terrible. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong ? 

PC Spec, 12900K, 3080, 64GB

TIA

3 hours ago, RaJaN said:

Can you share your Oculus Tray Tool, Oculus Debug Tool and Virtual Desktop Settings? I get it running smoothly with WiFi now, but it looks like a mess. And what is your WiFi-infrastructure?

Edited by warmachine79

25 minutes ago, Muzzer said:

Upgraded from the Rift S to the Quest 3 and having a problem. Rift S worked really well and was expecting a better experience. I am using the Oculus Link cable, load up Oculus PC software, plug cable into headset, start Oculus Link in headset. I can then see the old VR scene like the Rift S but it is very bad quality image compared to the Rift S. Load up DCS from the PC desktop, fly a mission, runs smoothly but looks terrible. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong ? 

PC Spec, 12900K, 3080, 64GB

TIA

Try the highlighted settings in ODT null

image.png

• Thanks 1

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

1 hour ago, Snuten said:

But if VD would make it even better I should give that a try. Can you explain what it is with VD that makes it better? 🙂 

Its the AV1 codec:

1 hour ago, warmachine79 said:

Can you share your Oculus Tray Tool, Oculus Debug Tool and Virtual Desktop Settings? I get it running smoothly with WiFi now, but it looks like a mess. And what is your WiFi-infrastructure?

No settings in Tray Tool or Debug Tool, VD in Godlike mode, Wifi 6 (not e) with dedicated router and SSID for quest, pc  connected with 2,5Gbit LAN (Getting 2000Mbps)

Edited by RaJaN
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

Try the highlighted settings in ODT null

image.png

Thanks, I think it is a bigger issue than that I'm afraid. The Oculus home screen that I used to see a sharp image in the Rift S, is now a much worse image in the Quest 3. 

34 minutes ago, Muzzer said:

Thanks, I think it is a bigger issue than that I'm afraid. The Oculus home screen that I used to see a sharp image in the Rift S, is now a much worse image in the Quest 3. 

Perhaps a stupid question, but are your link cable good enough and connected to USB3? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snuten said:

Perhaps a stupid question, but are your link cable good enough and connected to USB3? 

Yes official cable and connected to a USB3.2 port.

Edit. 

Thanks for the suggestions, just been on to Meta Support, hard reset of headset has fixed the issue with the link cable image. Loaded up DCS, much better image now than before.

Edited by Muzzer
more information
  • Like 1

Make sure you activate wired link and not air link in the headset. Also you can perform USB diagnostics test in the Oculus desktop app, under Devices tab.

• Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 hour ago, RaJaN said:

Its the AV1 codec:

No settings in Tray Tool or Debug Tool, VD in Godlike mode, Wifi 6 (not e) with dedicated router and SSID for quest, pc  connected with 2,5Gbit LAN (Getting 2000Mbps)

Do I need to have it wireless to have AV1, I have no Wifi6 😕  And does VD replace the windows Oculus app? Or do you need to have them both running?  Thanks! 🙂

Do I need to have it wireless to have AV1, I have no Wifi6   And does VD replace the windows Oculus app? Or do you need to have them both running?  Thanks!
AV1 is only dependent on your gpu. Any 40 series Nvidia card will be able to take advantage of AV1. You do not need to necessarily be wireless and no the VD does not replace oculus app.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Muzzer said:

Yes official cable and connected to a USB3.2 port.

Edit. 

Thanks for the suggestions, just been on to Meta Support, hard reset of headset has fixed the issue with the link cable image. Loaded up DCS, much better image now than before.

Worth the upgrade from the rift s?