Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

Anybody got a powered cable link solution which gives the quality/performance of the official Meta Quest 2 Link Cable, that actually provides power reliably?  Not necessarily looking for indefinite charge, although that would be nice.  But something that could at least provide enough for a good 8/10 hour weekend session.

Edited by S D

1 hour ago, S D said:

Anybody got a powered cable link solution which gives the quality/performance of the official Meta Quest 2 Link Cable, that actually provides power reliably?  Not necessarily looking for indefinite charge, although that would be nice.  But something that could at least provide enough for a good 8/10 hour weekend session.

I don't have a Quest 3, but I've been using my Quest 2 with a Kiwi Design USB-C cable for almost a year, zero problems.

It actually charges the headset when plugged in a regular USB-C port of my PC. I play in 2-3 hour sessions and the battery never goes below 95%.

Bear in mind the Quest 3 seems to be more power hungry that the 2, specially when using higher refresh rates.

Edited by diego999

Anyone upgraded from a Reverb G2?

So far, I'm on the fence of being dissapointed with my Q3.

For the G2, I was used to very clear settings with a 1.0 resolution setting in Open XR Tools, and a 1.2 PD in DCS. This gave me very clear vision.

Specifically, I chose to compare the text and quality of the gunsight panel on the Mig 21 (if you try this look at the range striations as well as the text of the red panels)

To get even close to similar clarity (still worse imo), I had to force a 1.4-1.5 pixel density in the ODT, and combine that with a 1.3 DCS PD. Anyone had similar requirements to get clarity?

Using the Q3 with a link cable, maxing out at 700mbps on H264 (265 has about a 2-3 second delay for me, and completely freaks out at above 200 mbps)

Other things I noticed that people could check, is if you use the SRS radio, when you first launch the game the overlay in the left of the screen (red text) will be ultra blurry on the Q3, but on the G2 it is as crisp as all of the other text. (no clue why it does this)

On the G2, I played with DLSS and got no visible bluriness, everything was still very crisp. Tried both DLAA and DLSS on Q3, similar results - both pretty blurry. 

Specs:

12600k (overclocked to 5 ghz)

3090 (overclocked +200 +800)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S D said:

I've seen this type of query a few times in this thread now, there may be something else causing excessive power use? Strangely, or luckily? the official link cable doesn't seem to have an issue on my side. I've started DCS with a 50% charge on the Q3 and it was on 70% when I stopped less than 2hours later. My last session I started at 30% charge and again it was on 70% when I finished roughly 3 hours later.

Typically if I start at 100% charge it does drop but I've not seen it less than 85%. I doubt I've had a session longer than 3 hours with the Q3 yet.

I haven't fiddled much, its set to 72hz on the Oculus app so the lower frame rate likely helps?

I have it plugged into the usb-c port of my RX6800XT. Although my MSI B550 has supposedly a 10gbps usb-c port when I run the Oculus test I only get 200 and something mbps for some reason so I dont use it and wouldn't know if it will hold the charge the same.

I'd like to change to a 4090 so will have to figure out the issue with the usb-c on the board at some point as the GPU's I'm looking at dont have usb-c on them.

5900X | XFX Radeon RX 6800 XT | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 64GB  G.Skill Ripjaw V [3600 MHZ] | Super Flower SF-850 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic | Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm AIO | Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME PCI-E 4.0 | Adata XPG Spectrix 2TB NVME PCI-E 3.0 |6 x Cooler Master MF120R | Samsung 34" CF791 1440p | Quest 3

3 hours ago, Khangirey said:

For the G2, I was used to very clear settings with a 1.0 resolution setting in Open XR Tools, and a 1.2 PD in DCS. This gave me very clear vision.

Specifically, I chose to compare the text and quality of the gunsight panel on the Mig 21 (if you try this look at the range striations as well as the text of the red panels)

To get even close to similar clarity (still worse imo), I had to force a 1.4-1.5 pixel density in the ODT, and combine that with a 1.3 DCS PD. Anyone had similar requirements to get clarity?

Using the Q3 with a link cable, maxing out at 700mbps on H264 (265 has about a 2-3 second delay for me, and completely freaks out at above 200 mbps)

Other things I noticed that people could check, is if you use the SRS radio, when you first launch the game the overlay in the left of the screen (red text) will be ultra blurry on the Q3, but on the G2 it is as crisp as all of the other text. (no clue why it does this)

On the G2, I played with DLSS and got no visible bluriness, everything was still very crisp. Tried both DLAA and DLSS on Q3, similar results - both pretty blurry. 

Specs:

What does your Q3 pixel dimensions show at in openxr toolkit? At 0 PD

5 hours ago, Silencer_ZA said:

I have it plugged into the usb-c port of my RX6800XT. Although my MSI B550 has supposedly a 10gbps usb-c port when I run the Oculus test I only get 200 and something mbps for some reason so I dont use it and wouldn't know if it will hold the charge the same.

That's probably the issue, I currently have it plugged into my motherboard via the official link cable into a usb-c.  The test is showing 2.4Gbps, so all good there, I guess it just cant give enough power to play and charge.  Only running at 72Hz as well, as I wanted to get everything stable and consistent before starting to really tweak, but this power issue is a problem.  Ok so with that being said, as well as the powered cable option, does anyone know of a usb-c expansion card that works with the Quest 3?  that can provide enough power to charge and play.

Whilst gaming, I've now got the q3 at least maintaining it's charge and very slowly charging via a $24 AUD ebay link cable (with ac adaptor port) , using a 23watt single usb port AC adaptor.  The q3 seems to need a USB A port capable of at least 5v 2.5 amps or 9v 2.2 amps. The AC adaptor I'm using is QC and PD, which might be needed to tell the quest to work with the higher current

a typical 5v 2A or 9v 2A so far has not been enough for it to hold the charge and will slowly drop while flying

10 hours ago, Khangirey said:

yes. you'll get it looking 90-95% of the centre sharpness that you get on the G2 (but all over the fov).

you might need to read back through a few pages for suggestions. You'll probably need openxrtoolkit for turbo mode if you use multithreading (it fixes the jitters which are unrelated to gfx settings)

Edited by Dogmanbird

It seems to be very hit or miss on the power side of the cables.

pretty much all the test I’ve seen, from the official link cable to 3rd party output between 1.8 to 2.6 Gb so that’s plenty enough.

on power side though, that will depend on your usb-c connector on the mobo, it need to get 20w, anything below will drop the charge.

There is a few solutions, having a Gen 3.2 2x2 does the trick according to some people’s but it’s on very high end MB.

There is some 3rd party cables with separate power adaptator that seems to work and stabilize the charge at 78-80% (which seems to be the sweet spot to no damage the battery long term), you need to also buy good usb c cable and wall charger (20+w) otherwise it’s useless.

also 3rd party usb pci card directly plugged to the PSU, but need to meet the power requirements.

thats what I found after looking into the subject for 3 days straight.

ill most likely buy the quest3 when I get definitive answers on this.

Edited by RomaniaK

On 11/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, Snuten said:

I have found that using resolution override in OpenXR gives me better fps than just increasing the DCS PD more.

just been experimenting again. in multithreaded mode I reckon you're right 👍. Not sure if it's changed just since the 2.9 update or because it behaves differently in single threaded mode? In MT it seems to work really well for me now.

3 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

just been experimenting again. in multithreaded mode I reckon you're right 👍. Not sure if it's changed just since the 2.9 update or because it behaves differently in single threaded mode? In MT it seems to work really well for me now.

I tried it back and forth yesterday, between only DCS PD or only OpexXR override, and I ended up with the same I already had. 😄 But by only use DCS PD I get worse performance and also much fuzzier image. I guess that's because of DLSS. But with a mix of super sample in OpenXR, before DLSS kicks in(I think), it gets much sharper and better.

But one thing I wonder is if WMR (G2) renders the screen different, like concentrating more pixels in the centre or something. Because when I was using 1.5 supersampling in the WMR tool, I saw objects and trees much further away with the same View Distance radius(Medium). And the more I increased the WMR's supersampling to like 1.8 I saw even further and more trees/buildings. Like DCS was "thinking": Oooh, so big screen, now we can populate it with more stuff. But when increasing only with the Override Resolution inside OpenXR Toolkit, I see no difference regarding this, nor by increasing it via Oculus app. 

But I guess I would not be able to run it in 72fps with more objects in the viewport anyway. Im really pushing it now with a frame time around 10-13.2ms(Marianas excluded) 🙂 I also using MT btw. 🙂

Edited by Snuten

15 hours ago, Khangirey said:

Specs:

Is Link Sharpening enabled on ODT?

Mine once turned off randomly after an update and I felt like I was a 80 year old who forgot his glasses.

21 hours ago, S D said:

A solution was posted earlier in this thread, I believe. Don't bother using a powered cable, and instead use a powered USB-C hub like the Minisopuru 206b. It provides 20W PD to one of its downstream USB-C ports.

The problem with those powered cables is that most of them are designed for the Q2, which uses less power. Therefore, those cables don't provide sufficient power to maintain the Q3 battery. Some cables supposedly allow 3A instead of 2, and should be able to keep the Q3 alive, but you really have to look through the description of the cables in order to find that information. With time, there will likely be more such cables available, but in the meantime, I'm using the above hub and have no issues keeping the headset battery charged while playing.

Also, the problem with most motherboards is that they do not offer PD on their usb-c ports. They also don't seem to provide the full current that they should. Non-PD USB ports are limited to 5V. USB-A are limited to less than 1A, so 5W max power. USB-C are limited to 3A, so 15W max, but many motherboards seem to be only capable of outputting 2A, so are limited to 10W. If you have a motherboard that happens to be able to output a full 3A, then you are in luck, as that should be enough to at least maintain the Q3 battery. If you happen to have a motherboard that supports PD on one of its usb-c ports, then you are really in luck. (Some Asus motherboards, for example, support PD on at least one usb-c port). Alternatively, you can install a usb-c with PD pcie card in your pc. I think Thunderbolt ports by default offer PD, so that is also an alternative.

Sim Rig: Intel 12700KF, MSI RTX4090, 32GB DDR4@3200, Quest 3 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

Thankyou TimberWolf I shall look into that.  Very happy with the Quest 3 so far, a nice upgrade from the RiftS, if i can get this power problem figured out I'll be sorted.

Edited by S D

That's odd. I could have sworn that someone had already mentioned this hub in this thread, and had posted a link. But it seems not. Perhaps it was posted in the Quest Pro thread.

In any case, the Minisopuru 4-port USB-C hub will keep your Q3 battery charged while in PCVR.

Brand link: https://minisopuru.com/en-ca/products/206b

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Minisopuru-Powered-Charging-Multiport-Chromebook/dp/B0BS9C9RBZ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2J62TE3DSCSL7&keywords=minisopuru%2B4%2Bport%2Busb%2Bhub&qid=1699402188&sprefix=minisopuru%2B4%2Bport%2Busb%2Bhub%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-6&th=1

Sim Rig: Intel 12700KF, MSI RTX4090, 32GB DDR4@3200, Quest 3 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

15 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

In any case, the Minisopuru 4-port USB-C hub will keep your Q3 battery charged while in PCVR.

Just checking, as these say they don't support video output, is it required to use airlink or VD?  Or does it actually support just using the official link cable into the hub?

Edited by S D

3 hours ago, S D said:

Just checking, as these say they don't support video output, is it required to use airlink or VD?  Or does it actually support just using the official link cable into the hub?

No, it works fine with your link cable. Keep in mind that most USB-C ports also don't support video output.

Awesome, thanks for the input.

Little update from my end, turns out after double checking, I did have a usb-c port on my GPU.  After using this with the official link cable, Quest 3 remains fully charged, just completed a two hour sortie, with 100% charge remaining (did actually go up from 98% > 100%).  So can confirm like Silencer_ZA, if this is an option for people it does work.  Hopefully there will be a more permanent solution in the future.  But with your and others input there does seem to be hope...

Many thanks again.

Hi, I'm thinking in buying a Meta Quest 3, does someone who owns this model and the official cable link can tell me if it charges the device while playing? How many hours you can fly with the cable plugged in? Above it has been commented but I hesitate if buying the official cable USB-C to USB-C (I have 1 port) or look for an unofficial USB-C to USB-A (I have a 16-port USB 3.0 HUB with external power).

Thanks.

Edited by splash

5 hours ago, splash said:

Hi, I'm thinking in buying a Meta Quest 3, does someone who owns this model and the official cable link can tell me if it charges the device while playing? How many hours you can fly with the cable plugged in? Above it has been commented but I hesitate if buying the official cable USB-C to USB-C (I have 1 port) or look for an unofficial USB-C to USB-A (I have a 16-port USB 3.0 HUB with external power).

Thanks.

The official link cable does not. You will run out of battery after an hour or two i believe.

This one does so long as you follow the correct order stated in the instructions when plugging it in. I use it and my headset maintains power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TN25765?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

On 10/26/2023 at 2:35 AM, Mr Wave Off said:

Thanks for your response, this issue gave me headaches for the last couple of days and i couldn´t find a source with further information.

Ok so it makes no sense using VD with an AMD GPU at the moment. I hope they´re working on a fix or else i just spent 20 bucks for nothing.

And thanks too for offering me an alternative with the Video Guide, much appreciated Sir.

VD, VDXR and AV1 seems to be finally working on the latest release version (1.29.8) for my GPU at least. Haven't flown with it yet, just been sitting in the cockpit looking around for few minutes, but the visuals looks clear and I haven't ran into any issues so far (72hz, 195mbps, AV1 10-bit, Ultra, ASW disabled). 

Might be worthwhile giving it a go on your GPU again.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASRock X670E Steel Legend | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000MHz CL32 | XFX RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 24GB GDDR6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80+ Platinum (2022) | Meta Quest 3 512GB | Dell S3422DWG 34" 144Hz UWQHD (3440x1440) | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base & Grip with 200mm VPC Flightstick Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals | VPC Control Panel #2 & VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel