Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

10 minutes ago, ACS_Dev said:

Can anyone confirm or deny that the quest 3's resolution is sufficient to read F-16 displays without zooming in or leaning forward?

Not only is it sufficient to read the F-16's displays without zooming or leaning forward, I'd say it could do much smaller than this. It all depends on your settings.

I run at 72 hz and the slider all the way to the right in the Oculus app. I also run at 1.4 PD in the DCS VR settings. Textures are on high, and I also use DLSS Quality. I will say it takes a good GPU to drive this. I have a 4090 as of last week, but also got good results on my 3080 prior.

2 minutes ago, davidrbarnette said:

Not only is it sufficient to read the F-16's displays without zooming or leaning forward, I'd say it could do much smaller than this. It all depends on your settings.

I run at 72 hz and the slider all the way to the right in the Oculus app. I also run at 1.4 PD in the DCS VR settings. Textures are on high, and I also use DLSS Quality. I will say it takes a good GPU to drive this. I have a 4090 as of last week, but also got good results on my 3080 prior.

Thanks for the quick response!

Did you have the quest 2 before and can you comment on the differences you experienced? Have you tried at regular 1x resolution? Is it still legible then? I have a 5600x and a 6900xt and don't want to compromise performance by super-sampling if possible.

53 minutes ago, ACS_Dev said:

Can anyone confirm or deny that the quest 3's resolution is sufficient to read F-16 displays without zooming in or leaning forward?

It dependes on the settings. By default (oculus app at 72 Hz and 1.0x) definitely not. But if you increase the PPD setting in Oculus Debug Tool/Oculus Tray Tool, or set the PPD in the VR tab in DCS, you can read all the texts in the MFDs, consoles, etc. very good. They're very sharp and clear.

Maybe the main problem for me is the mouse movement with your head, it is difficult to be precise when pressing a button. I'd rather not to use the head and just the mouse.

Edited by splash
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ACS_Dev said:

Thanks for the quick response!

Did you have the quest 2 before and can you comment on the differences you experienced? Have you tried at regular 1x resolution? Is it still legible then? I have a 5600x and a 6900xt and don't want to compromise performance by super-sampling if possible.

I did have a Quest 2 (still do I suppose, although I haven't used it in a while). The Quest 3 has much better clarity across the entire field of view, and probably a bit better / more vivid colors. At 1.0 resolution, I suspect it would be pretty fuzzy. I'll have a look this evening.

12 minutes ago, splash said:

It dependes on the settings. By default (oculus app at 72 Hz and 1.0x) definitely not. But if you increase the PPD setting in Oculus Debug Tool/Oculus Tray Tool, or set the PPD in the VR tab in DCS, you can read all the texts in the MFDs, consoles, etc. very good. They're very sharp and clear.

Maybe the main problem for me is the mouse movement with your head, it is difficult to be precise when pressing a button. I'd rather not to use the head and just the mouse.

At what PD would you say it becomes legible?

7 minutes ago, davidrbarnette said:

I did have a Quest 2 (still do I suppose, although I haven't used it in a while). The Quest 3 has much better clarity across the entire field of view, and probably a bit better / more vivid colors. At 1.0 resolution, I suspect it would be pretty fuzzy. I'll have a look this evening.

Please do!

i can confirm that the av8b / f18 mfd's are just readable without leaning forward when using either openxrtoolkit resolution override at about 4000 x XXXX, or alternately, the in game PPD at 1.8 or higher (and leaving q3 resolution settings at default - auto)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ACS_Dev said:

At what PD would you say it becomes legible?

Please do!

I would say 72hz/1.0 in Oculus App, 1.3 in ODT/OTT, 1.0 in VR tab in DCS. I got better results this way. My card is a 4090 and use 2.0 in OTT, very clear texts and labels.

I’m currently experimenting with OpenXR Tools, there you can set resolution, turbo mode, etc.

Edited by splash
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, splash said:

I would say 72hz/1.0 in Oculus App, 1.3 in ODT/OTT, 1.0 in VR tab in DCS. I got better results this way. My card is a 4090 and use 2.0 in OTT, very clear texts and labels.

I’m currently experimenting with OpenXR Tools, there you can set resolution, turbo mode, etc.

Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

This has probably been discussed before, but is there a difference between setting the resolution higher in the external utilities vs the pixel density in DCS?

At one stage I thought I could see a performance difference between the two methods, but lately there's been no performance/visual difference how I do it.

• Thanks 1

I did more tests. With PPD=1.3 in ODT, MFDs are legible but not perfect and so the labels in consoles, specifically the right console in F-16 that has lower texts. With PPD=1.8 they are very clear/sharp. These test were performed with Oculus App in default (72hz/1.0x), OpenXR Toolkit at default and changing just the PPD in Oculus Debug Tool (encoder bit rate=0 -> 200 mbits/s, encoder width=0 -> 4128 in my case).

• 2 weeks later...
vor 14 Stunden schrieb DJ3vil:

Any Idea why my 4090 is at 100% video mem, GPU usage only at 60% ... 

Z790 

Ill get a very flimmery picture with 1.5x90hz OTT

Not related to your original problem, but I have the same specs and I can only recommend using 72Hz. You will be able to hit the native refresh FPS most of the time and revert to ASW for the rest (or accept some stutter). Maintaining 90 FPS is simply hard, even with the 4090.

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Phantom711:

Not related to your original problem, but I have the same specs and I can only recommend using 72Hz. You will be able to hit the native refresh FPS most of the time and revert to ASW for the rest (or accept some stutter). Maintaining 90 FPS is simply hard, even with the 4090.

yea im trying it thanks .. with 72x1.0 and 1.8 DCS DLSS Quality i can get almost 72fps native. 
And the picture looks almost perfect.

Maby i should change Bitrate in ODT, i ditch OTT for now, it seems mess up smthg for me

edit its only 36fps but GPU only takes 70% usage, i asume hes not getting to 72fps so he cuts in half with asw

Edited by DJ3vil

On 1/28/2024 at 2:48 PM, DJ3vil said:

yea im trying it thanks .. with 72x1.0 and 1.8 DCS DLSS Quality i can get almost 72fps native. 
And the picture looks almost perfect.

Maby i should change Bitrate in ODT, i ditch OTT for now, it seems mess up smthg for me

edit its only 36fps but GPU only takes 70% usage, i asume hes not getting to 72fps so he cuts in half with asw

I'm leaving "bitrate" at default values for some time, because at 960 (maximum) causes sound stuttering from time to time in my machine (5900X + RTX 4900 + Samsung 980 Pro). Default value is 200. My current setting is very similar to yours, except I configure the PPD in Oculus Tray Tool (1.8 or 2.0) in order to apply it to DCS, IL-2, FS2020, etc.

Anyone who considers Quest 3, please give a read. 

I bought a Quest 3 a few days ago and I must say I was amazed by the clarity and head tracking vs Reverb G2. However I noticed a dead pixel and returned the item to replace with the new one. Oh my God!!. How can 2 headsets could be so different. the 2nd headset had no dead pixel but the glare was unbearable, fan was so noisy (with the 1st one I did not even notice there was a fan and there were no glare at all). Besides all of these, it stuttered a lot. Tomorrow I will have the 2nd headset replaced with the 3rd one, and hoping the 3rd one would be the charm. So if you are looking to renew your headset with a Quest 3, these may be the frustrations you may face. If you contact Meta customer support they will tell you the glare is normal, but don't believe them. I see 2 same mode and there was no noticeable glare with the 1st one. If the 3rd one also does not work, I will get a full refund and go for a Pimax Crystal.  

Edited by Sezai

Corsair 5000D RGB Airflow | Intel i9 13900K | MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk | Cooler MasterLiquid 360L | GeForce RTX 4080 | Kingston Fury Renegade 64GB DDR5 6000 Mhz | Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB | Be Quiet! Pure Power 12M 1000W

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | TM T-Flight Rudder

Meta Quest 3

CPL: Cessna 172 & 182 & 208 on Floats

1 hour ago, Sezai said:

I bought a Quest 3 a few days ago and I must say I was amazed by the clarity and head tracking vs Reverb G2. However I noticed a dead pixel and returned the item to replace with the new one. Oh my God!!. How can 2 headsets could be so different. the 2nd headset had no dead pixel but the glare was unbearable, fan was so noisy (with the 1st one I did not even notice there was a fan and there were no glare at all). Besides all of these, it stuttered a lot. Tomorrow I will have the 2nd headset replaced with the 3rd one, and hoping the 3rd one would be the charm. So if you are looking to renew your headset with a Quest 3, these may be the frustrations you may face. If you contact Meta customer support they will tell you the glare is normal, but don't believe them. I see 2 same mode and there was no noticeable glare with the 1st one. If the 3rd one also does not work, I will get a full refund and go for a Pimax Crystal.  

I recently sent back my Q2 and bought the Q3 instead, even though it cost more than double ($275 CAD vs $650 CAD).  It's my first foray into VR.  The blurriness on the Q2 was really annoying and was giving me a lot of dizziness.  It's greatly reduced with the Q3, and yes, the clarity is a lot better.  I didn't have any of the issues you are describing (I'm not even sure what this 'glare' is that everyone refers to?).  Where are you ordering these from?  Comparing it to a headset like the Pimax that costs 5 times as much (to play games 😉) is patently ridiculous though.  

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

First of all, specs:  4070ti/5600X/32GB/W10, using a FASGEAR USB C to C cable, 2.5 - 2.8 GBps when I tested.  Default MT, standalone, openbeta.  

I've been playing around with the OXR Toolkit and in-game settings.  It's been a struggle, and although quite annoying having to constantly restart, I admit that I often enjoy optimizing a game more than actually playing it 😉  I've read/watched countless videos and threads now, and still don't know what I should be trying.  One says use all the debug/toolkits available, the next video two weeks later revises it and says they cause more issues than they solve.  

From my limited testing so far, the biggest gain to smoothness/fps was the Turbo mode or DFR (I found that you can't have them both enabled at the same time as it crashes DCS).  When set to DFR Quality/Wide, I don't even notice it.  Are there any other DFR settings that are critical, or is it ok just to leave it at the presets?  

As others have stated, shadows and terrain textures seem to kill FPS the most, although it clearly depends on the map.  This isn't my game PC, so I don't have screenshots of settings, but I tried MSAA 4X (2X was just horrible aliasing and shimmer) and DLAA/DLSS Quality with at least 0.5 sharpening and PD set to 1.35 in-game.  I didn't see any difference setting PD through the Oculus app.  The cockpit is about the same clarity either way, but DLSS does perform better, and I don't get the 'ghosting/trailing' effect at these settings. 

The one thing that still bothers me (other than the inconsistent performance) is the general dark, greyness about everything.  I've increased the gamma and that helps a bit, but is there anything that can be done to increase the 'brightness' of the scene?

Also, is the Debug tool dead now, or does it have a use in my case?   

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

On 1/31/2024 at 11:08 PM, Sezai said:

it took me two returns to get a good third one without any dead (black) pixels. If they were at the outer edge I wouldn't have cared but unfortunately they were just off centre. Once I saw them i couldn't unsee them 

I have been using the Quest3 for 3 months now, owned a Reverb G2 V2 for 2 years, first headset, until last week. I sold it. My experience with the Q3 using link cable is better than anything I got with the G2, with every bit of tweaking that I could find/try. And it has a lot to do with the bigger sweet spot, but certainly not all to do with that. With not too much tweaking I have significantly more readable cockpits... and nice to just move your Mark 1 eyeballs instead of the entire head. And for the last few weeks I have switched to using VDXR, the OpenXR runtime to use with Virtual Desktop. So yeah, using the Q3 wireless. My router already supports the higher transfer rates for 2.4 GBPS, which many 5G/modern routers already do, and all 6G routers do. You do need that. And I can even leave the link cable plugged in to USB, though link not enabled, and it still charges, slowing the battery drain. And with VDXR even better visual results and frames than with link cable.

• Like 1

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

Absolutely. I changed form G2 to Q3 and Im selling my Rerverb right now. Bought wifi 6 router and VD surprised me well. Im wating now Bobovr S3 strap to fly long missions without cable.

Good change at all.

Edited by chichowalker