So I've upgraded to a Virpil WarBRD-D! What about my old mappings?

Antix70

In my case, I've upgraded from a Thrustmaster Warthog stick and base. I went through all my axis and button mappings and saved them to <module>.axis.diff.lua and <module>.buttons.diff.lua files for each of my modules.

Then I connected the Virpil base/TM stick and imported all the files accordingly.

Some imported just fine, like the F/A-18, which loaded the buttons and curves correctly, whereas the Apache nothing imported, button mapping was lost, as well as axis assignments and curves were lost.

Am I missing something here? Asking on some discord channels, I'm told that because of how ED built the mapping system, importing settings from an old stick to a new stick wouldn't work at all, regardless of module. Obviously not 100% true, since the Hornet kept its mappings.

Should it be this hard to upgrade hardware?

Holdi601/JoystickProfiler: Joystick Profiler Utility (github.com)

is your friend...

login with your warthog attached ... export the controls via Joypro creat a profile for DCS 

and then attach your new stick and remap them via joypro 

and you make excellent points, but this is the best way to "do it"

i suspect you may be able to export them all without the WH attached but i dont know for sure

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If it's only the base what you changed, there is a fastest way. You change USB Vendor ID and USB Product ID on Virpil configurator tool and put the VID ans PID from Thrustmaster Warthog (you can find them on internet). Doing this DCS thinks it's your old warthog and you have all your old mappings.

The only thing you have to check is that all the buttons on your stick are mapped to the same number the old one had. (Example, on warthog 1st stage trigger are button number 1 on windows, do if it's different in the new base you have to change it in the virpil configuration tool to be the same button on windows).

In fact, you can still use TARGET because for windows you are still using a warthog base.

I have a warthog base with it's stick, and a warbrd base with a diy stick that have the same buttons and hats and same button numbers on windows. I can change from using one or another and DCS thinks it's the same piece of h/w and give me the same mappings always. The only thing I have to do is reset axis calibration on windows.

Edited by deeleyer

You have several options, you could edit the device names as mentioned and using the Virpil software change the button numbers to match your chosen equivalents on the warthog stick but that seems a bit convoluted.

I would invest the time in JoyPro as @speed-of-heatsays, it will give the best flexibility if you have a number of modules especially as you might want to change which button does what as you get used to using the new stick.

I am not sure there is a simple solution for changing hardware as there are no standards for button numbering so every device will be different and maintaining a conversion database for every device is too big a task for the devs especially as it is mostly a compromise with the sticks we have compared to the real thing. The best they can do is provide defaults for obvious ones like the A10 with a Warthog stick etc. After that it is user preference.

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

No complicated at all, in virpil configuration tool if you select TM Stick, it makes all button numbers to match. I said that just to check that numbers.

Different options for different needings. I like JoyPro, but in this case (only base changed) I think the time invested in learning the app doesn't worth it if everything you want is just recover your old mappings for the same stick, as the first post say. And from there, you can change a module button map as always in DCS.

On 7/2/2023 at 12:55 PM, deeleyer said:

No complicated at all, in virpil configuration tool if you select TM Stick, it makes all button numbers to match. I said that just to check that numbers.

Different options for different needings. I like JoyPro, but in this case (only base changed) I think the time invested in learning the app doesn't worth it if everything you want is just recover your old mappings for the same stick, as the first post say. And from there, you can change a module button map as always in DCS.

Maybe not worth the effort to learn JoyPro for a one off, but investing the time in JoyPro has been the most useful thing I have ever done. Saved my life on many occasions!

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box