Can't launch Mission 15

RimanDk

As per title. Just tried tonight. No mods (I cleaned them out for this).

It launches and plays the intro sequence with the external view of the carrier. That finishes up and it goes to load the proper mission, but it gets stuck on "Wait for pooled tasks - 1". I've left it there for 5 full minutes and... nothing. For context, I'm on a brand new system with a Ryzen 7 7800x3D, 64 gigs of ram and a 4090. DCS is installed on a Samsung 980 PRO - missions typically load within half a minute.

I seem able to launch any other random mission I have tried (tried about a dozen between campaign missions and instant action ones), but not this one.

I have already verified integrity of files and repaired (I'm on Steam - there was nothing to repair)

EDIT: If I load 15b through the Mission menu point, it works just fine.

EDIT 2: Loading 15a through the Mission menu point works as well; it loads in 15b just fine =/. Not sure what the heck is wrong... I copied 15a and 15b into my Missions folder so that I could get to load them, for what it's worth... (The Mission menu point doesn't allow me to backtrack out of my Saved Games on C, all the way to the root, so I can switch to my secondary drive, whereon the DCS proper installation resides)

Edited by RimanDk

Unfortunately, as already mentioned, that was the first thing I did, to no avail.

The most important part is being able to play the mission at all, of course... but I would also like the campaign to progress naturally!

As a work-around, can I play the mission as mentioned (through the Mission menu point) and skip it in the Campaign menu? Will that progress me to 16?

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2023 at 2:05 PM, RimanDk said:

It launches and plays the intro sequence with the external view of the carrier. That finishes up and it goes to load the proper mission, but it gets stuck on "Wait for pooled tasks - 1". I've left it there for 5 full minutes and... nothing.

EDIT: If I load 15b through the Mission menu point, it works just fine.

EDIT 2: Loading 15a through the Mission menu point works as well; it loads in 15b just fine =/. Not sure what the heck is wrong... I copied 15a and 15b into my Missions folder so that I could get to load them, for what it's worth... (The Mission menu point doesn't allow me to backtrack out of my Saved Games on C, all the way to the root, so I can switch to my secondary drive, whereon the DCS proper installation resides)

Yeah I hit this today as well, twice. 

I was not able to get "EDIT 2:" workaround to work initially, so I only loaded into 15b to get in to start the mission.

Kind of a bummer that I'll hav to click skip later but at least I'll know I completed it

13 hours ago, Reflected said:

BTW it happens in DCS sometimes. Not just in campaigns. That mission load screens get stuck forever. It's annoying I agree.

@Reflected Does it ever complete? Am I just being impatient?

It turns out I can't even start 15b from the mission menu screen, so I haven't been able to actually play it yet 😞 I'm not sure if it helps but I've attached my dcs.log from attempting to load straight into 15b. I do have some mods installed that I did not disable yet, and i ran a full repair yesterday. No joy 😞

dcs.log

Hope this can help, but when I’ve had this before I edited my logbook to remove the entry for the mission that hangs. Can’t recall exactly what else I changed but dont follow this advice unless you taken a backup! It’s easy to mess up the syntax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WORKAROUND #3: I'm happy to report that it works when you load and start the mission from the mission editor! Either starting with 15a-intro or loading straight into 15b works, and I was able access the campaign miz in the editor file browser, so no need to copy it to saved games. If I attempt to play the miz via the campaign menu, or the suggested workarounds for the mission menu, the load always hangs at "Wait for pooled tasks - 1" stage.

After I complete the mission I'll go back and "Skip" in the campagin menu 😞

• ED Team

In the log above, there are mods installed, and there are security warnings at the end of the log - First suggestion is to remove all mods completely and then run full long repair.

I can not replicate the issue in clean build. 

WORKAROUND #4: I had another idea to attempt to play in single-threaded DCS and I had no trouble loading from 15a-intro to 15b via the campaign menu.

I completely understand why the mods are suspected, but I lean towards this being a multithreading issue at this point.

The security logs EDBen mentioned are a known issue due to vaicom voice mod with jester and while there's any workaround available I'm definitely not gonna fly the F-14 without that.

Hope this helps the next person trying to figure this out.

Edited by eLgargantuan
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Same issue for me for another mission.

Never had this before in any mission, but Speed and Angels is the first campaign I ever bought.
Will try tonight in single-threaded as well to check if that works.

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Mission hangs and crashes have nothing to do with the mission itself, it's a problem with the core of DCS or your own installation, maybe even hardware, or another software. There is nothing within the mission editor that I could change to prevent this from happening - and it doesn't happen to everyone either. It's best to get your DCS crash log and check with ED to see what causes it.

I've seen this happen in other missions, but when I loaded up another one with the same map and then tried it again, then it worked...

Yeah, I understand that, Reflected.  I just wanted to bring it up here also while I was troubleshooting to allow for some others to share their experiences with it, or provide solutions / workarounds.

Anyway, I can from my side at least confirm that it's working fine in "single-threaded".  So the lockup only happens with the combination of VR and MT.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

59 minutes ago, Mud said:

Yeah, I understand that, Reflected.  I just wanted to bring it up here also while I was troubleshooting to allow for some others to share their experiences with it, or provide solutions / workarounds.

Anyway, I can from my side at least confirm that it's working fine in "single-threaded".  So the lockup only happens with the combination of VR and MT.

Yeah, MT has a lot of issues waiting to be ironed out. As I said, what helps me is to load another mission on the same map, and then try again. Ghosts in the machine 🙂

• Like 1