2080ti performance expections in DCS VR

markturner1960

So up until now, been using my older PC as a 2D separate machine for my Helo sim pit. Specs in sig, its not a <profanity> PC, and have been trying out my G2 on it since I got the quest pro. 

I know this is a bit of vague question, however, what level of performance should I be able to get ? ( using the AH64) What do any of you here running a similar set up achive? There is loads of stuff relating to 3090 / 4090 cards, but not much on lesser set ups.....I have dialled down most of the settings, no shadows or MSAA, low terrain textures and visibility distance etc and sitting in the Apache, this is fine as you never really need stuff like that. In open XR, resolution is 100%

I have not used MR and locked frames at 30 FPS, but while this is achievable, , its on the  edge of what can be handled I think, on the runway start mission for example, its still dips down to 25 occasionally. I get the feeling a busy MP mission will not be good....! 

So is this about all I can expect ? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

It's not an easy question to answer... My guess is about 2/3rds the performance of your 3090 on the 2080ti...one thing that wouldn't translate is the amount of.vram in the 3090, which I found to be a massive advantage in VR...in dcs... I haven't ever owned a 2080ti so I have no objective data to share... So this is me waving my hands in the air and pulling numbers out my a$$

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

12 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

It's not an easy question to answer... My guess is about 2/3rds the performance of your 3090 on the 2080ti...one thing that wouldn't translate is the amount of.vram in the 3090, which I found to be a massive advantage in VR...in dcs... I haven't ever owned a 2080ti so I have no objective data to share... So this is me waving my hands in the air and pulling numbers out my a$$

How VRAM affects the outcome I can't tell. Talking about raw rasterization power it's probably far less than 2/3 I'd say.

You can take a look at the 3Dmark database and compare the average GPU scores for the two cards (timespy). That gives you a rough number.

Edit: No, sorry, you were right. It's closer to 2/3. I over estimated the 3090. The scores are ~20.000 to ~14.500. Even closer to 3/4.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Thanks, hopefully a 2080ti user can chip in and give their experiences!

Also, am I best advised to keep it simple and use native open XR via the shortcut and forget about steam vr? I have found several tuning / settings guides, but as they were all made when the card was new, they all involve steam vr and obviously DCS and open xr have moved on since then…….

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

You can totally play in VR with modest settings. I played for a year with a 2060 + Quest 2.

It didn't look pretty but it was workable. And motion reprojection was a must (36/72 fps).

You can lower the fov to gain some performance. At 0.85 you barely notice it. I used to play at 0.60. Waaay to low for most people but it made DCS playable for me.

Try it and see how it goes.

• Like 1

I agreed 2080ti is totally playable. Previously had 2080ti, before upgraded to AMD 6950Xt and gave it to my father.

Till this day, sometimes I play DCS and MSFS on my father computer. Still surprised how well it performed. Sometimes, it feel it look better than my computer. Due to Nvidia motion reprojection, which AMD is lacking.!

I am using a G2, not my Quest pro, so interested in settings specific for that please!

If you look at my settings for my 1080ti they were for the G1 and G2 

they might help...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Thanks - regarding best runtime etc....Would you recommend using the MT .exe and the force enable OpenXr shortcut amendment? Rather than the "old" way via WMRforsteamVr ? 

Thats what I was using with my G2 on the other machine before I switched to the quest pro on that one and it seemd to work well, however, I have this nagging feeling that I should be getting better performance out of the 2080ti rig, which is what I was using when I first got the G2. It was a while back now, but I dont recall it struggling to maintain 30FPS, which it is now......

I would go with MT, though read the MT FAQ there is something about, I don't really know but openxr seems to be an overall benefit as opposed to the old way, you might still get a benefit from shades, though actually some of Taz's optimised files would likely help from a Vram point of view as well...

I think nwheni was on my 1080 I would also run at 80% in terms of graphics resolution... 

you also might want to check your machine hygiene if it hasn't been touched in a while... 

I'm not sure if still valid, but during the time I had my 2080ti, I had to reduce the texture quality, especially for the AH-64. There is a low res download in the user files somewhere, which made the Apache playable for me. Anyhow, the only drawback in lower texture quality, which I would also use in my 4090,is the mirrors look like <profanity> and that I can't stand in my F-14. 

Anyhow, all this might be mood, since I think I recall a update on the AH, but maybe worth a try anyway. 

Other than that the 2080ti went well along with the G2

Edited by Lt_Jaeger

Thanks, I tried 80% and its just about acceptable in terms of quality, and now it runs pretty well at around 50 - 60 FPS......Will leave it at that for now, thanks all! IThanks Jaeger, will ask on the Apache forum regarding the texture mod

So, I initially was using the G2 and it worked, but was not great, see above. However, due to issues with my Quest pro, I needed to install Oculus and use the Quest pro on the 2080ti PC, to try and rule out the issues I have been having with using it on my main PC as being due to the headset itself. 

So far, it’s performing extremely well and no freezes or crashes. It’s the performance compared to the G2 that astounds me though, I can run the exact same QP settings as on my 3090 PC  and it’s rocking along, frames locked at 36, using 72hz and ASW, 1.5 x res and 1.3 super Sampling. While the G2 was struggling along at 30 FPS, 100% and 60hz. 

First time i player dcs in VR war like 1.5? i dont remember really... Some years had passed and i was playing mainly huey and f18. I had a 1070 (badly OCed) It was fine. I had the Vive pro. (dcs 1.8? 2.xxx? i feel old 😛 )

Then i sold the hmd and after a coulple of years i came back on 2D and 2080ti.

After some other years i got a G2 and i was really disappointed when i discovered the frame rate was a big issue with such a good 3D processor. With 1070 i had less problems, I spent alot of time tweaking, learning stuff trying to find a way to get my hardware run the game fine for MY confort.

I stripped everythiing down, i tweaked per eye relosution in steamvr (seriously WTF was that default per eye resolution in steamvr?!?). Result? game looks like <profanity> (at least for me).

So i went back to 2D, too many compromises. 

2 months ago i got a 4080 and the DCS VR has regained appeal to my eyes. So now i am playing like that: ofc i tweaked around alot (just becouse i am a nerd and i wanted to find the best possible sweet spot on my stuff). 60fps on a good game preset in ANY situation, running MT, feels good to me. (too many compromises to run 90fps)

So what i can really say you is that on 2080ti the real game killer was the per eye resolution, when i got that to 100% or lower in openxr (or 2160x2160 per eye resolution on steamvr).

The last time i tryed i was using 75% on openxr tools, foveated rendering (not the quality preset, the other one) NIS 80% sharpness 60%, ingame settings low (medium visibility range, all the others options to low). It was running fine (like 45fps, but high latency on gpu, sort of 15-19). MT bin. I was playing this way only on choppers becouse try the viggen like that... sort of bad stutter (stutter its not the appropriate term but i am italian so take it please 😛 )

It was playable but i wanted something more. So basically it depends on your taste. 

So, since i dont know your story, i chosen to give you mine. Maybe it helps, maybe not: at least you have some parameters to start with.

p.s. some more infos: 32GB 3600hz on a amd 5600x (not OCed), ssd nvme.

200m butterflier inside :harhar:

MERLO forever