DCS: WWII Assets Pack - B-17G Livery Competition

What are people doing in relation to redoing the props and U/C? Are there templates for these? 

Swamp Fire is on the final straight so Im wondering how to finsih those details...

Thanks

On 8/12/2023 at 2:07 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

That's what I thought. This is the only 17 I've seen them on.

I remember the 1/48 Monogram kit had a pretty extensive stencil sheet but, like you, ive never seen much evidence of stenils on comtemporary photos. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

2 hours ago, JD Swann said:

I know Sensor 3 but EWO is a surprise. In my day all the sensor stations were AW's (enlisted aircrew).

EWO - Electronic Warfare Operator. I sat behind the NAVCOM (Officer) Station. I was an AW at that time. EWO is a selection of the top enlisted student at AW A-School. I fought really, really hartd to get that. Let me go finf my award really quick and I'll come back and post it here.

Submission to the Livery Competition: B-17F assembly ship "The Spotted Cow" of 384BG

Included are two skins:
B-17F Assembly Ship ''The Spotted Cow''
B-17F Assembly Ship ''The Spotted Cow'' Generic

Download Link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332554/

"Patches II" was an early replacement aircraft for the 547th BS, replacing the original "Patches" after that plane was salvaged in late July 1943. "Patches II" flew combat missions throughout early 1944, and was retired in the summer to serve as the 384th's assembly ship. With this, she was given a high-visibility paint job of blue polka-dots over white. She was immediately given the nicknames "Spotted Cow" and "Speckled Hen." Her mission was to orbit the airbase to allow the rest of the group formation to form up after take-off. She would definitely be hard to miss!

Screen_230813_185021.jpg

Screen_230813_190106.jpg

Screen_230813_185829.jpg

Screen_230813_185338.jpg

• Like 4

Well yes, but since there have been RAF B-17 Liveries posted, i thought we are not taking it all that serious with the variants. Because as far as I'm informed the Fortress I is a B-17C and the Fortress Mk II and Fortress Mk IIA are B-17F and B-17E respectively. But if ED wants to disqualify my livery, so be it.

This is a submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. It includes two skins, one a detailed 'Louie the Creep' and one plain and without the distinguishing markings of 'Louie the Creep" as specified in the competition. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR. The detailed skin depicts Serial number 42-97976, a B-17G-40-VE, code letter D, nicknamed "Louie the Creep". The plane completed 27 combat missions with the 709th Bombardment Squadron of the 447th Bombardment Group at this point and would be renamed "Bit O' Lace" for the remainder of it's combat missions which totaled 83 by the end of the war in Europe.

Please Note: This skin will work with the default JSON file included in the game but to see the skin at it's best, use the improved Metallic look MOD by Warlord64 available here :https://forum.dcs.world/topic/319116-specular-reflectivity-from-brushed-to-mirror-effect/#comment-5

DCS: World War II Assets Pack is required.

Look for "Bit O' Lace" skinned by Helles Belle.

Many thanks to Warlord64 for his JSON Mod and for assistance on the spinning props. I also borrowed his colors for the speculars.

The only photos I could find for "Louie the Creep" are nose shots as per the attached photo. I used other, all aircraft, photos of "Bit O' Lace" with the assumption that they would be relevant.

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332565/

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 5

Hi Rick

WOW.. Another Stunner, Top quality as usual and thanks for the acknowledgements really appreciate it Mate.

Hey Rick  Not sure if You realised the link to the JSON Mod is not correct Mate.

Regards

Keith

Edited by Warlord64
  • Thanks 1

Asking again. Sorry How are people accessing the prop dds file? 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

5 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

You can find them here:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\WWII Units\Textures\B-17G.zip

Prop files I have edited are called.

1. B_17G_ROTOR_D

2. B_17G_ROTOR_S

3. B_17G_RotorBlured_D

4. B_17G_RotorBlured_S

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Warlord64 said:

Hey Rick  Not sure if You realised the link to the JSON Mod is not correct Mate.

Hi Keith

Fixed the original post. For some reason if I chose "Post as link" it pointed to that Russian language link. I changed it to "Post as plain text". Weird, they are both the same copy / paste.

8 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

You are welcome to use my prop files and use as is or modify them any way you want. @Warlord64 showed me the way to make sure they work with the props spinning.

Louie the Creep is bare metal: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332565/

Texas Chubby is black: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332350/

You can, of course, make them any color that you want.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

You are welcome to use my prop files and use as is or modify them any way you want. @Warlord64 showed me the way to make sure they work with the props spinning.

Louie the Creep is bare metal: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332565/

Texas Chubby is black: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332350/

You can, of course, make them any color that you want.

Thanks Vonrd. Appreciate it. Ill be sure to credit.  And thabjs for the locations @Mike Busutil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Hi Keith

Fixed the original post. For some reason if I chose "Post as link" it pointed to that Russian language link. I changed it to "Post as plain text". Weird, they are both the same copy / paste.

Thanks Rick

That's odd, must be some kinda Glitch I suppose

• Like 1

Base skin 90% done and slowly working through each reference photo and written account I have to match the wear n tear present after the 99th mission.  Inner engine complete and the nose area to patch n scratch next. 

Swamp test.jpgJury is out on the style of lettering for the code so this maybe a place holder. 

swamp wing 1.jpg

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

Base skin 90% done and slowly working through each reference photo and written account I have to match the wear n tear present after the 99th mission.  Inner engine complete and the nose area to patch n scratch next. 

Swamp test.jpgJury is out on the style of lettering for the code so this maybe a place holder. 

swamp wing 1.jpg

Looking forward to this one.

You'll see why soon.

Entry for the B-17G Competition.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332592/

nullnull

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332591/

nullnullnull

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332590/

nullnull

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg