Consistent Aircraft Spotting

Go to solution Solved by SharpeXB,

With the implementation of MT, many more players will be able to up their settings and experience the detailed, realistic, shimmer-free graphics this game is capable of. I know I was and, for a while, I flew in VR with unbelievably immersive cockpits and landscapes. But then I had to turn everything down again to a fuzzy, pixelated mess because, at the higher resolution, I simply had no chance of spotting other aircraft. So much of the work done on the game, including MT, will have limited benefit as long as players have to choose between better graphics or competitive spotting. Please fix this.

14/04/2024 - Guess what? It’s fixed. The spotting as currently implemented works for me in VR at hi-res. Thanks

Edited by Willoughby888
Improvment seen!
  • Like 4

• Solution

There is a fix for this in the works. Something along the lines of adopting this mod into the game

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• ED Team

Spotting changes are currently being tested internally, but you will need to be patient. 

thanks

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Then why isn't the mod allowed to pass IC until you fix it? That makes no sense....those at 1080 can see just fine...1440 and 4k blind as can be until it is too late....does that make any kind of sense to you at ED? Everyone here knows that "we're working on it" from ED means it will take months or years to be fixed. Won't be holding my breath until you release "a fix".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blackhawk NC said:

Then why isn't the mod allowed to pass IC until you fix it? That makes no sense....those at 1080 can see just fine...1440 and 4k blind as can be until it is too late....does that make any kind of sense to you at ED? Everyone here knows that "we're working on it" from ED means it will take months or years to be fixed. Won't be holding my breath until you release "a fix".

Because:

- Modding your game to affect visibility is basically cheating.

- That mod can probably be user altered to make your opponent’s aircraft appear like big orange dots or whatever. 

- Having that folder uncontrolled by the IC probably allows all sorts of other cheats and exploits. 

Any solution for visibility needs to be included in the game and unalterable by the players. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

SharpeXB ......... I bet you fly at 1080 or in VR........     I bet you see the dots at 1080 or lower resolution so this mod doesn't affect you much. And I haven't heard of any changes to this mod to make the aircraft appear as "BIG ORANGE DOTS OR WHATEVER". And flying at a lower res than your monitor so you can see aircraft is NOT cheating, right? ED is being silly and avoiding responsibility for something they should have fixed years ago when higher resolution monitors became very common. This problem has been here for YEARS! still no solution.....  Kinda like the AAMRAM model and the sd-10 model  and the r-77 model and the F-16 and the F-18. They almost never finish anything. 10 years from now the F-15E will still be unfinished. They have no peer competition to pressure performance AND we continue to buy half finished modules. We are partly responsible for the way they act.... sorry about the rant!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackhawk NC said:

SharpeXB ......... I bet you fly at 1080 or in VR........     I bet you see the dots at 1080 or lower resolution so this mod doesn't affect you much. And I haven't heard of any changes to this mod to make the aircraft appear as "BIG ORANGE DOTS OR WHATEVER". And flying at a lower res than your monitor so you can see aircraft is NOT cheating, right? ED is being silly and avoiding responsibility for something they should have fixed years ago when higher resolution monitors became very common. This problem has been here for YEARS! still no solution.....  Kinda like the AAMRAM model and the sd-10 model  and the r-77 model and the F-16 and the F-18. They almost never finish anything. 10 years from now the F-15E will still be unfinished. They have no peer competition to pressure performance AND we continue to buy half finished modules. We are partly responsible for the way they act.... sorry about the rant!

No I use a 4K monitor. And yeah pretty sure the mod was hackable because it was a mod. 

Never really understood this spotting issue, played in 4k in 2d and now play exclusively in VR with the Varjo Aero.

The 1 to 1 representation within VR especially at high resolution makes spotting pretty easy for me at least.

• Like 1

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

On 7/7/2023 at 4:28 PM, Blackhawk NC said:

I have 1080 screen and I can't see squat beyond 3-5km.

Edited by Pavlin_33
My English, not the goodest.
  • Like 1

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

I’ve always run a 1440 monitor, ultrawide now (5120x1440, even worse support for everything DCS) and I’ve never seen an aircraft “spot” until the plane actually starts rendering. I thought thats just how it was until I saw the uproar about it and switched dcs over to my 1080p monitor for fun. Now that in itself feels like cheating, being able to see black blobs all over the screen for aircraft in the distance,  in comparison to my dcs lifetime experience😂I suppose the size of screen plays an important role too. A 4K 27” screen would be much, much harder to see( spotting)  than a 65” 4K just due to sheer pixel size. Seems like its definitely  not a quick easy fix. The Mod- Great idea. Abusable? Most likely. As said before, that sad fact is ED has a bad habit of starting things, then starting something else, then another thing. A lot of things get left on the shelf and never fixed or finished. The “New” FLIR for example. I like the direction they headed with it, almost complete( assuming). Then when there were a few models/objects/vehicles to finish up rendering properly, they seem to have moved on and haven’t touched on it for a year or more. Baffling at times, but doesn’t stop me from playing almost daily.😃 

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

What’s funny about the mod is at least the maker was nice enough to make it public and not just keep the advantage for himself 😆

Who know how many other cheats were running around with that ability before… amazing that such things weren’t locked down in DCS all along. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 2