Laser burnout

Hi guys

quick question. Today my laser stopped working and my vikhrs just fell to the ground when i fired them. 

Was this coz i burnt my laser out? And if yes...was there anything i coulda done to complete the mission with still using vikhrs? Or are vikhrs useless once laser is burnt out? 

With Vihkrs you don't need to switch from your laser rangefinder to your laser designator. Leaving it in rangefinder mode will generally prevent you from burning it out. Also the laser/shkval "reset" switch can be helpful if you run into issues in flight. 

Edited by Pede
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Could i have put weapon select in manual mode and fire vikhrs or will vikhrs not work once laser is burnt out?

I have actually never tried this; I generally just go home if I burn out my laser. However it is always a good idea to put your Vikhrs into manual mode because in auto it will artificially limit how far you can fire. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pede said:

I have actually never tried this; I generally just go home if I burn out my laser. However it is always a good idea to put your Vikhrs into manual mode because in auto it will artificially limit how far you can fire. 

Oh i didnt mean that manual mode. I meant the other one...you know the dial next to a/a mode, auto turn, ground moving and a/a head on buttons are. Theres a dial there that you can set to different modes that allow you to fire certain weapons if some systems fail like shkval or gun gets stuck or you lose navigation etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

Oh i didnt mean that manual mode. I meant the other one...you know the dial next to a/a mode, auto turn, ground moving and a/a head on buttons are. Theres a dial there that you can set to different modes that allow you to fire certain weapons if some systems fail like shkval or gun gets stuck or you lose navigation etc

Vikhrs will still technically fire however they won't guide. Theoretically you could try to use them as unguided rockets this way, but it might be better to find the nearest farp/airfield instead. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 7:17 PM, Viciam1 said:

Hi guys

quick question. Today my laser stopped working and my vikhrs just fell to the ground when i fired them. 

Was this coz i burnt my laser out? And if yes...was there anything i coulda done to complete the mission with still using vikhrs? Or are vikhrs useless once laser is burnt out? 

Even with conserving the laser as much as I can, it only lasts 1.5 sorties for me.  Fire all Vikhrs, rockets, and some gun runs.  Go back and rearm.  Then laser burns out on 4th or 6th Vikhr.

So whenever a mission requires me to rearm, I do a repair.  I'm not sure if this is changed or not but if you break your helo and then repair, laser cycle resets.  Using the fire extinguisher on the right panel is easiest way to break your helo and initiate repair.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Even with conserving the laser as much as I can, it only lasts 1.5 sorties for me.  Fire all Vikhrs, rockets, and some gun runs.  Go back and rearm.  Then laser burns out on 4th or 6th Vikhr.

So whenever a mission requires me to rearm, I do a repair.  I'm not sure if this is changed or not but if you break your helo and then repair, laser cycle resets.  Using the fire extinguisher on the right panel is easiest way to break your helo and initiate repair.

Are you rippling off your vikhrs one after the other in manual mode? I've only burned my laser out twice and that was with KH25's. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Whats your process

Master arm on, laser set to on, uncage Shkval, lock a target, select outboard pylons, align pylon with Shkval on the hud, hold weapons release, weapon impacts, make sure the laser timer is gone, lock another target and repeat. 

Those timers for laser guided weapons are usually a safeguard to prevent burning out the laser so I try to pay attention to them, and I'm not a good enough pilot to fire off on vihkr right after the other so the laser gets a few seconds break before I fire again. I do however burn out the TPOD in the JF17 quite regularly by firing right after my last weapon hit the target repeatedly, but I'm a much better Jeff pilot than I am a helo pilot. 

Edited by Pede