VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip in full metal?

pepin1234

See a generic design as full metal construction and the replicas like VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip in Plastic is something I don't understand in Virpil Catalogue. 
Is there aftermarket metal body for this grip?

I see your point, but I'm not sure a plastic grip would bother me that much. What bugs me with that grip is that it's all hats and no slew control.
There is one guy on face that sells a replica Soviet/Russian joystick. I'm not sure you can buy only the grip and if it's compatible with TM/Virpil though. Would love one though. It looks fabulous in the light blue colour.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

I see your point, but I'm not sure a plastic grip would bother me that much. What bugs me with that grip is that it's all hats and no slew control.
There is one guy on face that sells a replica Soviet/Russian joystick. I'm not sure you can buy only the grip and if it's compatible with TM/Virpil though. Would love one though. It looks fabulous in the light blue colour.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

which guy?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Alpha has an analogue slew hat and also has an option to buy with a metal frame.

Being fair, my understanding is that real grips are also basically plastic.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Cast zinc, as used by TM and WW is an inferior material compared to a good glass filled nylon like virpil use. (Before anyone says it's aluminium - it's "aluminium alloy" which is marketing talk for 95% zinc, 4% alu, 1% various)

The only benefit to it is that it provides a wow factor to people that don't know any better, hence why it's TM and WW using it.

Making the grip from zinc reduces longevity (zinc is prone to developing stress fractures over time and is less impact resistant), the weight can negatively impact performance in some applications and, for many aircraft, it would be a less realistic feel since grips are mostly not metal now.

Making the shell from machined alu would solve those problems (it's a good material for the application, it will be only slightly heavier than nylon, it's lower thermal capacity Vs zinc makes it feel less different) but would be much more expensive to make in reasonable quantities Vs moulded plastic or cast zinc.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 2

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what type of metal the Virpil Alpha prime is made of?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.