Expected release

Spectrum48k

My guess from Jan 2023 was August and I think I missed that release date by a lot. With the RWR being finished up and them saying in April that was still a major project to finish, we're on track for a release this year.

Working Radar, working RWR, flight model is good, we're definitely still on track. I just wish they told us in November that delay was coming instead of saying "Nearly completed"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The FAQ has been recently updated, most notably being the 'when is release' part

It got changed from '2022' to '2023 (estimate)'.

So far HB keeps telling us 'completion very soon' on posts, sometimes they do share some small bits of info on the discord. All we can do is pray every Phriday for a Phantom news update since both Sinai and F-15E are out of the way now. I mean, we did get a cockpit shot at last.

Facebook screenshot has a vague shot of the cockpit. The part we are seeing is the right part of the Phantom's radar panel. Was able to identify it by the 'HOLD' lit up in green, 'RETICLE DEPR' and the 'MILS' number.. aaand the knob's position.

UPPER: real Phantom
Lower: shot of the RWR stuffies shown very visibly and the ingame Phantom's cockpit in the background

ps: you might need glasses to see it or turn up the brightness, I happened to spot it with my pretty bad eyes on a coarse and bright screen.

Btw yes I only come on once every few months but I visit this forum at least 20 times a day

image2.png

image.png

Edited by RebelHusky
  • Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 8:27 AM, RebelHusky said:

The FAQ has been recently updated, most notably being the 'when is release' part

It got changed from '2022' to '2023 (estimate)'.

So far HB keeps telling us 'completion very soon' on posts, sometimes they do share some small bits of info on the discord. All we can do is pray every Phriday for a Phantom news update since both Sinai and F-15E are out of the way now. I mean, we did get a cockpit shot at last.

Facebook screenshot has a vague shot of the cockpit. The part we are seeing is the right part of the Phantom's radar panel. Was able to identify it by the 'HOLD' lit up in green, 'RETICLE DEPR' and the 'MILS' number.. aaand the knob's position.

UPPER: real Phantom
Lower: shot of the RWR stuffies shown very visibly and the ingame Phantom's cockpit in the background

ps: you might need glasses to see it or turn up the brightness, I happened to spot it with my pretty bad eyes on a coarse and bright screen.

Btw yes I only come on once every few months but I visit this forum at least 20 times a day

image2.png

image.png

Oh god, is that a strobe RWR? With a billboard?

God, I hope they at least give us the option between switching RWR display systems...

Edited by Aussie_Mantis
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

God, I hope they at least give us the option between switching RWR display systems...

They should do what is more appropriate to the version depicted. What's the matter if we get a strobe/order version? Worst care scenario, we have to learn the associated PRF noise returns 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

6 hours ago, Karon said:

They should do what is more appropriate to the version depicted. What's the matter if we get a strobe/order version? Worst care scenario, we have to learn the associated PRF noise returns 🤷‍♂️

As a musician, I was really looking forward to the strobe display and PRF audio.

But I understand HB probably has a reason to use the alpha-numeric ALR-46 display, as confirmed last week.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:33 AM, sparrow88 said:

I have been waiting so long I kinda lost interest in DCS altogether to a point I am not sure if I would buy F4 now.

I feel the same way to a point. I want to learn the Tomcat RIO seat, but having no frame of reference as to the release, I dont want to get halfway into it and drop it all to start learning the Phantom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega417 said:

I feel the same way to a point. I want to learn the Tomcat RIO seat, but having no frame of reference as to the release, I dont want to get halfway into it and drop it all to start learning the Phantom.

I thoroughly suggest you to start as a Tomcat RIO without worrying about the F-4 until the EA starts. Even just a few months will greatly benefit you, as you can get used to flying and cooperating with another human. If you stick to Pulse, you can still use the DDD and learn and practice very elementary stuff about intercepts, drift, CC, angles and so on. Since this stuff is the bedrock applicable to any aircraft, the sooner you learn it, the better. Plus, the Tomcat gives you the TID as an additional tool to simplify the process of learning.

• Like 2
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

On 7/17/2023 at 6:28 PM, Karon said:

On 7/18/2023 at 12:53 AM, SgtPappy said:

As a musician, I was really looking forward to the strobe display and PRF audio.

But I understand HB probably has a reason to use the alpha-numeric ALR-46 display, as confirmed last week.

I prefer the strobe as well, but I have a $50 bet riding on it getting alphanumeric.

8 hours ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

I prefer the strobe as well, but I have a $50 bet riding on it getting alphanumeric.

Wait... this whole time you didn't actually dislike the strobes, but instead you have a bet riding on it?? 😂

It's already confirmed that it will be the alphanumeric ALR-46. No strobe is currently planned (because I bring you this info, I believe I am entitled to at least 25 of your $50 winnings): 

Edited by SgtPappy

1 hour ago, SgtPappy said:

Wait... this whole time you didn't actually dislike the strobes, but instead you have a bet riding on it?? 😂

It's already confirmed that it will be the alphanumeric ALR-46. No strobe is currently planned (because i bring you this info, I believe I am entitled to at least 25 or your $50 winnings): 

Strobe is cool man, it's just a matter of convenience (easier to tell what RWR it is with alphanumeric, BUT I know how to use a strobe RWR just fine- in a high threat environment only being able to differentiate X and S band radars may become an issue) as well as 50 Aussie Fun Bucks, and I like my money.

Edited by Aussie_Mantis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

Strobe is cool man, it's just a matter of convenience (easier to tell what RWR it is with alphanumeric, BUT I know how to use a strobe RWR just fine- in a high threat environment only being able to differentiate X and S band radars may become an issue) as well as 50 Aussie Fun Bucks, and I like my money.

Agreed. At the end of the day, it's night I think alphanumeric was a good choice as it will be easier for people who like modern jets to transition to the F-4. 

I believe my buddy, who isn't a total masochist like me, would vastly prefer the ALR-46 and that's a fine trade-off for me if it means I've got more friends to fly the F-4 with.

4 hours ago, SgtPappy said:

Agreed. At the end of the day, it's night I think alphanumeric was a good choice as it will be easier for people who like modern jets to transition to the F-4. 

I believe my buddy, who isn't a total masochist like me, would vastly prefer the ALR-46 and that's a fine trade-off for me if it means I've got more friends to fly the F-4 with.

I don't mind the strobe.

It will be very funny to scream at my RIO.

On 7/18/2023 at 4:44 AM, Trooper117 said:

I bet you will still get it when it turns up...

Maybe.  I do want to take a look at it first; if I decide to pass it will be the first aircraft module I don't own.  I have a hanger full of queens, and it got to the point where the F-14 is one of them, for a few reasons.

Someone needs to release another desert map so there will be a terrain I don't own as well...