George keeps saying air craft armed

pii

Whenever I bring up the George interface and have him WAS a weapon all is fine but once I close the interface George keeps saying Aircraft armed even when I safe the weapon "aircraft armed" No matter what I do he just keeps saying it and the Hellfire symbology is also still on the screen.

Does anyone else see this? I looked for it but was unable to find any other reports of this bug.

On the other hand, George can shoot the gun like a sniper now and hits everything with the Lima so maybe I should leave it like it is 🙂

Edited by pii

• ED Team

George is a task-based AI crewmember. When you assign a weapon to him as the AI CPG, you are actually directing him to engage the target he is tracking (or will track) with that assigned weapon, at which point he will fire on the currently tracked target or wait for Consent to Fire, depending on his ROE setting. This task requires the aircraft to be armed; so if you safe the aircraft, George arms the aircraft again because you are contradicting this task.

Likewise, if you direct George to track a target, he will arm the aircraft so that he may fire the laser rangefinder/designator. If you safe the aircraft, you are contradicting this task so he will arm the aircraft again.

If the aircraft was safe prior to directing George to track a target or assigning him a weapon, he will automatically safe the aircraft after you direct him to cease tracking targets or assign him to NO WPN.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 8/6/2023 at 1:54 PM, Raptor9 said:

George is a task-based AI crewmember. When you assign a weapon to him as the AI CPG, you are actually directing him to engage the target he is tracking (or will track) with that assigned weapon, at which point he will fire on the currently tracked target or wait for Consent to Fire, depending on his ROE setting. This task requires the aircraft to be armed; so if you safe the aircraft, George arms the aircraft again because you are contradicting this task.

Likewise, if you direct George to track a target, he will arm the aircraft so that he may fire the laser rangefinder/designator. If you safe the aircraft, you are contradicting this task so he will arm the aircraft again.

If the aircraft was safe prior to directing George to track a target or assigning him a weapon, he will automatically safe the aircraft after you direct him to cease tracking targets or assign him to NO WPN.

Ok, so if I arm the aircraft so as to be able to use the gun, then have George track a target, when I start to head home, he won't let me disarm the aircraft even if I have him set to no weapon and tracking no target. He keeps repeating "aircraft armed" every time I click the master arm button. Is this as intended?

• ED Team
15 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Ok, so if I arm the aircraft so as to be able to use the gun, then have George track a target, when I start to head home, he won't let me disarm the aircraft even if I have him set to no weapon and tracking no target. He keeps repeating "aircraft armed" every time I click the master arm button. Is this as intended?

You need to command him to slave the TADS to FXD by pressing Down-Short. This takes him out of his "target tracking mode", even if he isn't actively tracking an individual target in the crosshairs. As long as he is using the TADS while the TADS is de-slaved and looking around, even if he isn't specifically steering it, he is still in "target tracking mode" logic. This is to prevent him from rapidly arming/safing the aircraft repeatedly if he loses line-of-sight on the target he was tracking, which can happen when the target is in a tree line or amongst structures.

As for the weapon assignment, I misspoke. Assigning him a weapon alone shouldn't make him arm the aircraft, but once he enters "target tracking mode" he will. This is what I should have typed:

"If the aircraft was safe prior to directing George to track a target or assigning him a weapon, he will automatically safe the aircraft after you direct him to cease tracking targets or assign him to NO WPN."

Pressing Down-Short via the AI Helper interface is directing him to cease fire (if he is in Free Fire mode), stop tracking all targets, and slave the TADS to FXD (fixed forward).

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 1:54 PM, Raptor9 said:

Thank for the explanation.