"Smart" modifier assignment

Moxica

I have assigned the TM Hotas stick pinky lever as modifier for all modules.
That works, but was not a smart move.
I need it badly for other functions.
Did any of you assign something "smarter"? 
What have you assigned?

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Pick a button that’s convenient to hold down while you press others. I find the “switch” function where you need to toggle it on and off a bit confusing to my fingers. It’s easier for me to know I’ve got it activated if I’m holding it down. But that’s just me. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, Moxica said:

I have assigned the TM Hotas stick pinky lever as modifier for all modules.
That works, but was not a smart move.
I need it badly for other functions.
Did any of you assign something "smarter"? 
What have you assigned?

56 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Pick a button that’s convenient to hold down while you press others. I find the “switch” function where you need to toggle it on and off a bit confusing to my fingers. It’s easier for me to know I’ve got it activated if I’m holding it down. But that’s just me. 

as sharpexb noted use another less needed button. one has to pick what they like. i personally have one on the throttle that is not used for anything else. for example i use zooming in an out a lot so i have the trim hot on the stick as in out and center. for trim which i use less, i use same hat but with the modifier. and notice that one can have more than one modifier.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I use button 15 on the throttle (red front, LH pinkie).  Seems like a fairly useless button on most modules, and easy to reach.

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, Mapi said:

you need a script.

TARGET_Script_Editor_Basics_v1.5_ENG.pdf

PDF

T.A.R.G.E.T Script Editor Basics User Manual v1.5 – 1/60 ... A short press will generate the first output; a long press will generate the other output.

image.png

Thanks for this tip.

A question...

Let say that I want to use the the Warthog Joystick pinky switch in the F-16 module as a modifier, but I want to use it even for its original role, which is Expand FOV and so on...

The only way to obtain this is to use the TARGET software ? There is no way to being able to do it in DCS controls page ?

Thanks.

Thanks.

There is one think I don't understand:

I have checked what command is assigned to joystick button#3 in the DCS -> Controls page, and the only thing he command is: "Expand/FOV button- Depress".

But when I launch the instant action, "Ready on ramp" in the Caucasus map, I've noted that if I SHORT press that button, the Expand FOV is "executed" on the AA Radar, while if I LONG press that button the same function happen in the HSD display.

Thrustmaster TARGET is not active... I don't launch it (let alone a script..) before launching DCS.

If you check page 452 to 458 of the DCS F16 Viper manual, it is clearly indicated what a short and long press function of each button will do.

How DCS can implement these functions, if you don't launch TARGET ?

Why that is happening?

Edited by Swiso

6 hours ago, Swiso said:

How DCS can implement these functions, if you don't launch TARGET ?

Many HOTAS commands have the short and long press functionality included within DCS. No needs for anything external to do this. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 minutes ago, Swiso said:

How you do it in the DCS control page ?

In the DCS Manual I didn't find it.

You simply assign the button the command menu. For example (The A-10C uses these) map the Stick Master Mode button to your controller, then a short press cycles the HUD and a long press enters AA mode. This is fairly self explanatory so I don’t think it’s actually pointed out in the manual. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

You simply assign the button the command menu. For example (The A-10C uses these) map the Stick Master Mode button to your controller, then a short press cycles the HUD and a long press enters AA mode. This is fairly self explanatory so I don’t think it’s actually pointed out in the manual. 

Thanks.

I will try.