Completely new to DCS and having some major controller issues - Help appreciated

Hi All,

New user trying to get into the air.  I have the F18 and having major issues getting into the air.  I have learnt the startup procedure.  All good.

I have the TM warthog throttle and F18 stick, stream deck, saitek side panel and velocity one pedals.   Long story short here is my issue.

1.  The pedals show up twice in the controls list (Same thing happens in MSFS but they work there)

2. The warthog throttle works with the throttle in the plane.  Great.   

3. But the pedals also work the throttles and not the rudder!!

Have cleared the bindings from the pedals (I think) but still they work the throttles.

Any advice welcome.   Thanks

Josh

I assume you are using the latest version of either Stable or OpenBeta?  There are a few other causes possible if you're on an older version.

It sounds like you're not setting up the bindings correctly.  Do you have "F-18" selected in the top left corner of the binding screen?  The pedals showing up twice sounds like it could cause an issue, but definitely make sure you have both of them cleared of everything but rudder (you can pick a column at the top and use the clear category (I think that's what it's called, if not it's something similar).  Make sure you are doing this in the AXIS COMMANDS (again pick this top left) and not in the EVERYTHING BUT AXIS.  If you're assigning the throttle and rudder in the button bindings you'll still have default double bindings in the AXIS screen (this sounds like what might be happening to you).

Worst case, rename your DCS saved games folder and let it rebuild when you reboot and see if something got corrupted in your original bindings (renaming or deleting saved games will remove your current bindings).

I'm puzzled by your "duplicated pedals". Please post a screen shot!

• Like 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I’d check the rudder pedal column in Options but also check the throttle bindings too. Sometimes the throttle will have things bound that shouldn’t be, I’ve had the little nipple button on the warthog throttle working my stick before.

• Like 1

A screenshot of your axis assignments would definitely help us to analyze the issue.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Do you see the pedals twice in the Microsoft joystick config as well? Or in the device manager? If yes, I'd download USB Dview or what is called from Nirsoft. Unplug the pedals, and delete all entries regarding them. Delete the diff files from the config input in the DCS folder in the Saved Games folder, and reboot.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Hi All,

You were right the pedals had been assigned to the throttle.  I have now sorted that and they behave as they should for the rudder.  Just can't get the brakes to work.  I am assuming user error.

I will do as you suggest MAXsenna as well.

Thanks again you helped me "Complete" my first flight i.e. Cold start, taxi to runway, take off complete a circuit of the airfield, Got cocky, ended up in a spin I could not get out of, big ball of flames."    Onwards. 😄

Josh

7 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

I'm puzzled by your "duplicated pedals". Please post a screen shot!

I have the same issue in MSFS as well.  I think a deletion of the pedals and a reinstall is in order.

Josh

• Like 2

Hi All,
You were right the pedals had been assigned to the throttle.  I have now sorted that and they behave as they should for the rudder.  Just can't get the brakes to work.  I am assuming user error.
I will do as you suggest MAXsenna as well.
Thanks again you helped me "Complete" my first flight i.e. Cold start, taxi to runway, take off complete a circuit of the airfield, Got cocky, ended up in a spin I could not get out of, big ball of flames."    Onwards. 
Josh
I have the same issue in MSFS as well.  I think a deletion of the pedals and a reinstall is in order.

Josh

Great news!
Obviously, the toe brakes must be set up in the axis setup like the other axis. And like the throttle you must go into the axis tune, and set them as sliders, and maybe even set them as inverted.
Actually, every axis that is not returning to/having a centre, should be set as a slider.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk