Learning Curve

Dear Friends

This is my first post here, so "Hello Everybody" ;)

I have an important questions to you - your answer will be decisive regarding the purchase of Black Shark for me :pilotfly:

Since this is a very complex simulation, is it true that for beginners there are some help-functions to ease the steep learning curve? I have seen that e.g. the start-up procedure can be "skipped" by pressing 2 buttons or so. It's not that I don't like pressing 51 buttons, but it could become a little bit "annoying" at times.

Hence I wondered if it is possible to engage some "automatisms" at the beginnning in order not to have to learn everything from the very beginning...

Can you confirm this?

Thanks for your kind reply! :thumbup:

Cheeers,

Merlin

Confirmed :thumbup:

Not to worry M8 - The SIM caters for the Die-Hards to the 'Arcade' to the All-Inbetween.

Welcome to the Forums :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Hi and Welcome to the site :)

My view on this is when you get the game you really dont want to start learning everything so the WIN + HOME start sequence helps a lot if you just want to get flying and see what the game has to offer.

Personnal if you run through the start sequence a few time (see videos on youtube) you will get the hang of it. I am currently in the process of learning the start sequence because it adds more immersion to the game.

I do not believe that you can automate part of the startup proceedure.

BTW TrackIR Pro 4 is a MUST, just got mine the other day and boy does it make a hudge difference to the play.

Thanks Mithandra

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

• ED Team

And just like i did when first climbing aboard the KA-50 for the first time:

Just make yourself immortal (from the options menu) and just make a KA-50 in the mission editor and select the KA-50 as "player" and hit "FLY".

This way you get a feel for the bird, and once you get the hang of that, you can turn off "Immortality" and start learning the things that makes this sim so great ;)

I don't think it has such a steep learning curve, at least getting the helicopter to fly and use it's systems. You can get the hang of cold-start in about 1 hours if you watched the producers note and have the checklist written down. After 3-4 tries, you don't even need to look at the checklist anymore. It's all about getting familiar, and IMO Ka-50 cockpit is well organised.

Combat systems don't involve so much fiddle, as the most things are already automated. You can start shooting Vikhrs in no time :) ABRIS and navigation systems on the other hand, are very deeply modelled and sucks a big deal of time. I'd say first learn to start the heli, fly the heli and usage of combat systems and then jump into navigation part.

What I find really hard to get accustomed to is constant fighting with the autopilots. Trimming is a constant necessity, but I find the way it's implemented awkward(if you don't have a FF stick). I always have the urge to turn it off when I want to do precise flying, but it's almost unflayable. Flight director helps though.

Of course after learning the helicopter, there's so much to do like combat tactics, wingman employment and IMO getting those right require some constant flying and lots of time :)

Dear Posters!

Thanks a lot already for your first reply's!

One thing I would like to check with you:

If I don't have TrackIR (it's quite a laydown :-), do you think I could still fly? I fly FSX and other sim's without, but with BS it could be different...

Do you all use TrackIR? Does someone uses Freetrack? Cause I do have a webcam and getting some IR LED's should not be such of a deal?

What do you think lads?

Cheers,

Merlin

I do have TrackIR, but I haven't even bothered to use it when I first got the sim. It's nice to have all that 6DOF fancy freedom, but IMO it's not an absolute necessity for Ka-50 as most exaggerate. Remember, you're not flying a supersonic dogfight monster fighter, but a relatively slow and a heavier helicopter. You're mostly going to engage stationary or slow ground targets from a stable hover position so target tracking isn't that much of a problem. There are some switches in the cockpit that you can't see without moving your head, but some key binds solve those problems.

Of course, when you use TrackIR it adds so much to immersion :) But still doesn't worth 150bucks for head movement in a helicopter sim IMO. Though if you play IL-2, F4 or LOMAC and want to have a future-proof equipment you may be tempted to get it. But IMO for BS, not a necessity.

My sugestions are: First learn to fly hover land Trim and master them. Second weapon systems targeting and for last leave the DataLink and the ABRIS.

Their some youtube videos from the producers that may help you a lot. The learning curve is what i liked in BS its an awesome expirience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

• ED Team

If I don't have TrackIR (it's quite a laydown :-), do you think I could still fly? I fly FSX and other sim's without, but with BS it could be different...

I made 2 movies landing on a moving train without using TrackIR ... :)

It really helps to have it, and also adds a HUGE immersion factor, but you don't *need* it.

Cheers

I do have TrackIR, but I haven't even bothered to use it when I first got the sim. It's nice to have all that 6DOF fancy freedom, but IMO it's not an absolute necessity for Ka-50 as most exaggerate. Remember, you're not flying a supersonic dogfight monster fighter, but a relatively slow and a heavier helicopter. You're mostly going to engage stationary or slow ground targets from a stable hover position so target tracking isn't that much of a problem. There are some switches in the cockpit that you can't see without moving your head, but some key binds solve those problems.

Of course, when you use TrackIR it adds so much to immersion :) But still doesn't worth 150bucks for head movement in a helicopter sim IMO. Though if you play IL-2, F4 or LOMAC and want to have a future-proof equipment you may be tempted to get it. But IMO for BS, not a necessity.

When you do fly with it, you'll never go back to coolie hat views again.

Dear 192nd Erdem

Thanks a lot for your statement! That helps a lot! I will then try without it - I might bind the coolie hat for head movement? We'll see...

Thanks again!

Cheers Merlin

Your hat should be set up for head movement by default. You can also use the mouse to look around. But the mouse also is used to click cockpit contols. You switch between the two methods with Left Alt + C.

Hi Merlin!

I don't use TrackIR and I can fly e combat with BS.

It's good if you fly whith Fsx.

Firtst you must learn trim.

When you can do hover, u can study combat. Training lessons are very good.

Sorry for my bad english

Stalker

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win XP HOME, MB ASUS P5KPL, INTEL COREL 2 DUO E6420, 2GB 667 MHZ DDR2 DIMM, ATI PCI EX X700 PRO 256MB RADEON , SAITEK X45

I bought it :-))

Friends :D

I just bought it today and started with some training missions! Thanks again for all of your kind posts - it actually made me buy it as I'm sure I'll need a good community and here - well - we have one, no?

Will d/l the checklist and start learning the buttons. Put the sim on sim-mode (as it was intended to be flown) - what a good flight model!!

@Stalker: Never mind - got your message without any probs ;)

Thanks again and happy flying...

Cheers

Merlin

• Like 1