Hellfire Lima's not tracking in MP

Insanatrix

Not sure if this is a known bug, or just me not doing something correctly however I was just on a MP server flying the AH-64D using the Lima Hellfire's and had George engaging targets and the Hellfire's were hitting the wrong targets and also flying out to the target area and flying right into the ground. I practiced in SP as I haven't flown the Apache in over a year and was having no issue's with the Lima's tracking the correct targets using the same procedure.  Have George WAS Hellfire's, Have him slave to target area, select the target and verify it in the TADS, Wait for him to lase the target and store the target data and then give him consent to fire. 12 missiles and not a single one ever hit the correct target.

At present time, the INU position degrades too rapidly (as seen by the white PSN indication on the TSD) and is not properly corrected as it should be, which causes the missile to get erroneous information. The only consistent fix I've found is to command INU resets as close as possible to the engagement area. Some maps seem to degrade more rapidly such as Syria.

• Like 3

This was the Sinai map. I'm not 100% sure that would be the issue as IIRC the Lima's are supposed to lock on to any target in the area. I watched one splash about 40 feet from a BMP-2 which should have been well within it's search area. I had to constantly have George slave and de-slave to different targets in order for the missile to track a target, even though it tracked the wrong target. If he didn't slave and de-slave and he fired, it would just impact the ground in the area not even close to the area the TADS was looking. Makes me think there's a bug there somewhere with the Lima tracking in multiplayer.

41 minutes ago, Insanatrix said:

I'm not 100% sure that would be the issue as IIRC the Lima's are supposed to lock on to any target in the area.

Not exactly, but that's neither here nor there. Try an INU reset ~5 minutes before you reach your firing position and see if the accuracy is on-point.

Just flew around in Caucusus MP and couldn't hit anything with the L version

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

On 9/5/2023 at 3:59 PM, NeedzWD40 said:

There's a glitch with INU degradation/coordinates in multiplayer versus single player. If you have access to the info bar, check it and compare the TSD PP readout to see if there's any offset, as usually there is a large one in multiplayer even when fully aligned.

Hi NeedzWD40,

can you tell me what level of drift (INU inaccuracy) you noted in MP, causing this?

'52

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

3 hours ago, Gunslinger52 said:

can you tell me what level of drift (INU inaccuracy) you noted in MP, causing this?

In MP scenarios, oftentimes the TSD will display a white PSN indication on the lower left side and the UTIL page will show white on position accuracy, even after the INU has reached full alignment. This comes up during flight frequently as well. For whatever reason, the INU seems to have an excessive drift simulated along with a failure to correct via GPS in multiplayer. I haven't done any scientific measuring of it, but a rough guess would be a drift of about a meter per minute. There's also about a ~250m easting and ~70m northing offset on the MGRS coordinates even when fully aligned, which is most noticeable when entering in coordinates for points or dropping points via the TSD.

Commanding an INU reset of both units seems to cause a temporary zeroing of this error for the AGM-114L, though it doesn't address the offset issue with point creation.

• Like 1

@Lord Vader Can you clarify if ED is actively looking at this issue that has been described here, and in other threads?

This thread is marked "cannot reproduce missing track file", but there have been many videos posted showing the issues, and many possible explanations described throughout the past couple months since the Lima was introduced.  As you know, large MP track files taken from populated MP servers can be problematic. Please tell us what you need from us and we will be happy to assist.

Even if a tester needs some MP seat time in the front of an aircraft in a MP server, I'm sure you would get plenty of volunteers that would fly someone out for some testing.

• ED Team

hi @Floyd1212

we need a short as possible track replay example, video is not enough as when we try to reproduce we are not seeing the issues.

Video can show something but without a track replay we have nothing to show the dev that can be used in a debug build. 

The track example enables the dev to see the problem first hand, create a fix, and test it to see if the work done has solved the problem. 

Ideally if a short single player track can be created showing the problem it is the best option, if it is only a MP issue again it needs to be a short track, as we can not use a 2 hour long mission to reproduce an issue, the tracks are not reliable enough in servers that have many external scripts usually. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

20 hours ago, NeedzWD40 said:

In MP scenarios, oftentimes the TSD will display a white PSN indication on the lower left side and the UTIL page will show white on position accuracy, even after the INU has reached full alignment. This comes up during flight frequently as well. For whatever reason, the INU seems to have an excessive drift simulated along with a failure to correct via GPS in multiplayer. I haven't done any scientific measuring of it, but a rough guess would be a drift of about a meter per minute. There's also about a ~250m easting and ~70m northing offset on the MGRS coordinates even when fully aligned, which is most noticeable when entering in coordinates for points or dropping points via the TSD.

Commanding an INU reset of both units seems to cause a temporary zeroing of this error for the AGM-114L, though it doesn't address the offset issue with point creation.

Hi NeedzWD40.  I flew for approx. 65nm yesterday on a MP (Syria) server, and had (in Util page) only gained about 3m in inaccuracy.  Is the attached where I should be looking?  This is from the internet, but I had an approx. 7m 'Position Confidence' for both INU1 & 2.  Never the less, my Lima missed by some considerable distance (nice, easy, stable shot for George).  image.png

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

2 hours ago, Gunslinger52 said:

Is the attached where I should be looking?

Unfortunately, the position confidence indication isn't accurate to reflecting the amount of drift; what happens is it falls into the PSN state, then goes back to aligned, then PSN, and so on. Even without that though, it still implicitly drifts. If you try it again, wait til you're ~4min from your battle position and do a total INU reset.

• Like 1

However, the big difficulty here is that the INS drift occurs only after a long flight time (for me and my cpg) and thus a "short track" is almost impossible to create, this should be taken into account. We will try to create a track file where the error is traceable, but I think it will be very long.

If this is not possible because the track is not usable in its size/length, then we need a strategy how to track the bug.

Specs: R7 3800X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, RTX 2070 S, M2 SSd 970 Pro

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

• ED Team

I would suggest continue to wait as we have INS improvements planned for a future update. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

20 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I would suggest continue to wait as we have INS improvements planned for a future update. 

thanks

Ok, that sounds like a plan, then we won't have to work with the track file. I'm looking forward to the update. 👍

Specs: R7 3800X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, RTX 2070 S, M2 SSd 970 Pro

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

For those who have this issue, try this:

I tried it a couple of times today and sometimes i have this issue where the missiles miss their target. My steps to "fix" this for now is to reset the INU under Util page of the TSD. Works 100%, all of my fired missiles hit their intended target after the reset

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

4 minutes ago, Floyd1212 said:

Reset both? Reset one and then switch over to use that one?

i reset both to be sure

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

• 4 weeks later...