Somnium VR1 Sept Headset Update

dburne

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Livestream was interesting. I kind of watched it off and on during the presentation. Obviously this will be a very high end PC-VR device. Also of note the software will be open source. They are shooting for before end of year release however based on what I saw I don't think that will happen myself, I think they are still a ways away from release. At least I hope they do not take the Pimax approach to releasing totally unfinished products. One model will have native eye tracking/dynamic foveated rendering support, which especially for flight and race sims is a very nice feature for sure. All new headsets should offer that imho.

Always nice to see companies offering nice PC-VR headsets rather than taking the race to the bottom approach of the mammoth Meta. Appears this one will be in Aero class at least.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It will require base stations though if I understood correctly which will be a cost increase. But I really look forward to this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

5 hours ago, MA_Goblin said:

It will require base stations though if I understood correctly which will be a cost increase. But I really look forward to this.

I don't know I thought I heard them say base station support might be added sometime in the future, but no idea really what it would use as I did not see the  whole thing, just  some bits off and on.

• Like 1

Don B

Agree will not be a logical upgrade path from the Aero, but for those of us on G2's, it will be great to have another choice alongside Aero and Crystal.

With the backing of vrgineers  helping this project, I am very hopeful.

Edited by evanswillo
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, MSI PRO X670-P WIFI (AM5)32GB RGB DDR5 6000MHz Nvidia 4090

HP Reverb G2

HOTAS Virpil CM3 Joystick Throttle & Pedals

It definetely looks like a high end device and very promising. Let's see the pricing because the bracket they gave is from Pico 4 to Apple Pro (tha's some gap in between )

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the lens will be glass? I have 1000s of dollars invested in a range of optical equipment for magnifying and measuring when it comes to glass you get what you pay for and even the cheapest of these items (a few 100 dollars) still uses glass.

Thanks!

The lens is not glass, but they are not standard plastic, VR1 is being made with help of VRgineers who have experience of High End Military HMD's .

MRTV has an interview where CEO Artur discusses this exact point.

There is also an active Discord Group and check out Somnium Space for blog updates.

HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just curious if I was the only one still interested in this. Looks like its going to be about 3500+usd delivered for the complete thing assuming you have nothing and get the high end version. 

It looks like a pretty cool setup other than being a bit heavy and needing base stations. The weight I'm not too worried about but I'm not happy about the base station requirements but I probably can get over that.

is anyone else still looking at this after seeing the latest YT vids or am I on my own here?

A fully loaded VR1 is going to be expensive, we all know that, but its been designed to push to the maximum todays available tech. 

Some excellent vids online from CEO explaining how they arrived at the design.

Their Discord channel is very active at the moment.

Place on Reservation queue was placed back in Oct.

Edited by evanswillo

HP Reverb G2

Im cautiously optimistic about it. I'm pretty sure at this point I'll order one. I have low reservation number and if returns are allowed with little effort then I'll try it out. It's seems like its better in most areas,( Sweet spot, clarity over all, brightness, FOV, operation stability, colors, modability, hand tracking and eye tracking) The primary issues seem to be outside tracking only, weight, and incompleteness at this point as in no known headstrap, audio, or controllers but that's expected to be address before they start taking payment at least with the headstrap and audio. 

we shall see.

1 hour ago, j9murphy said:

given that it's twice the price of the new crystal pro, seems like it would have to be better in every conceivable way to be worth the cost.  Not sure that's the case...

Not sure how you arrived at that, with the Crystal Super starting at $1799 and the Somnium VR1 at $1899.

@Gun Jam

Keep in mind that the VR flight sim guy from the video is not yet focusing on the negatives because the final version is not yet out. So I wouldn't conclude yet that it's better in every way.

10 minutes ago, Aapje said:

Not sure how you arrived at that, with the Crystal Super starting at $1799 and the Somnium VR1 at $1899.

I thought I heard it was more than that, but in looking at their web page to make an apples to apples comparison you would have to add eye tracking to the Somnium - which I don't see a price for, although it is listed on their site - so $1899 + $eye tracking would be the comparison. ... and of course the super doesnt exist yet:)

Edited by j9murphy

Im speculating, as the price for the full kit has not been revealed yet. I was planning on getting the full kit and I suspect that its easily going to cost over 3500. Let's be realistic about this as I need 1 or 2 base stations, some controllers, the cost of the VR1 unit which is still in development and keeps getting more expensive as they add the possibility of chromatic aberration reduction hardware, headphones, eye tracking, hand tracking, MR cams. Then lets add tax, shipping. I also don't even know how the tax works. Im expecting that its going to be my state tax and not euro tax.  So yeah by the time I get this delivered, running with audio and controllers Im quite sure I would be kidding myself If I thought I was going to only be spending 3000. 

But yeah we shall see maybe I'll be surprised in a good way... Doubt it.