STECS Standard - First Impressions

AlpineGTA

6 minutes ago, KoN said:

Question can we use the throttle wheels x 2 on the left throttle as AXIS . They trigger as buttons .

Yes, check this video:

There are other video tutorials on this topic, just search "VKB encoder axis", but I have my reservations to this:

• When switched to axis, there are significant steps (each step of the encoder ~15° of rotation) - if you make these steps smaller then it requires tons of turning. So no fine/precise axis, good only for axes where precision is not important - or speed for that matter.
  • You'll lose the button functions unless you duplicate the encoder button first and then create axis from the duplicated buttons - but this is very laggy.

That said, in the end I use it as axes, because I didn't find anything useful for encoders - unlike the encoders on the base/STEM, for which I found good usage (e.g. radio channels, waypoint switching, etc.).

• Like 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

13 hours ago, virgo47 said:

Yes, check this video:

There are other video tutorials on this topic, just search "VKB encoder axis", but I have my reservations to this:

• When switched to axis, there are significant steps (each step of the encoder ~15° of rotation) - if you make these steps smaller then it requires tons of turning. So no fine/precise axis, good only for axes where precision is not important - or speed for that matter.
  • You'll lose the button functions unless you duplicate the encoder button first and then create axis from the duplicated buttons - but this is very laggy.

That said, in the end I use it as axes, because I didn't find anything useful for encoders - unlike the encoders on the base/STEM, for which I found good usage (e.g. radio channels, waypoint switching, etc.).

I'm going to have dive deeper into this , i followed this video on the STEM rotation knobs . ill test more . I know we can use the two wheels as radar elevation and range . Which comes in handy . thx more testing

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 3/27/2024 at 2:05 AM, KoN said:

Got mine on Monday very quick delivery. Amazing hardware the software is a bit over whelming, but some good videos on YouTube. 

Question can we use the throttle wheels x 2 on the left throttle as AXIS . They trigger as buttons . 

Any ideas.

We can have upto 8 axis  I think in the  software.

Thanks . 

You can convert the encoders to axis.  There's a couple tutorials for it, don't use Enigma's  🙂

Greetings.  I went for the STECS Mini Plus with two accessories: 1) detent frames and 2) additional button modules, which I upgraded from the Saitek X-65F throttle, without their FS stick. My flight stick is the TM Warthog.  

I'm very satisfied with the VKB STECS and find the engineering to be sound...they've thought through the design, production, ergonomics, and overall modular integration.  While the software is a bit overwhelming, the VKB support on their Discord channel is great.  This hardware/software provides excellent value, given the cost.  The flexibility afforded by the programmable modules is outstanding.  I converted the left-hand throttle rotaries (under the left pinky and ring finger) to axes versus DX inputs...better precision.  I also replaced the single PTT comms button under the left thumb to a two-way comms button for UHF/VHF.  

I currently find only the angle/placement of the right throttle thumb rotary to be ergonomically hard to reach...seems I have to go out of my way to find it.

Here is how I'm configured currently.  Black labels are legit callbacks/keybinds, and the red labels are simulation-related inputs.  My button #24 is a simple PTT, and the artwork shows a 4-way/depress.  I also didn't use any of the base's buttons or rotaries since they have meaning to the VKB configuration, depending on the combos selected.  I used the 4-way/depress for button #23.

Hope this helps

STECS_MappingV5.PNG

Edited by Dawgboy
  • Like 2

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // VKB STECS Mini Plus Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

1 hour ago, Dawgboy said:

Greetings.  I went for the STECS Mini Plus with two accessories: 1) detent frames and 2) additional button modules, which I upgraded from the Saitek X-65F throttle, without their FS stick. My flight stick is the TM Warthog.  

I'm very satisfied with the VKB STECS and find the engineering to be sound...they've thought through the design, production, ergonomics, and overall modular integration.  While the software is a bit overwhelming, the VKB support on their Discord channel is great.  This hardware/software provides excellent value, given the cost.  The flexibility afforded by the programmable modules is outstanding.  I converted the left-hand throttle rotaries (under the left pinky and ring finger) to axes versus DX inputs...better precision.  I also replaced the single PTT comms button under the left thumb to a two-way comms button for UHF/VHF.  

I currently find only the angle/placement of the right throttle thumb rotary to be ergonomically hard to reach...seems I have to go out of my way to find it.

Here is how I'm configured currently.  Black labels are legit callbacks/keybinds, and the red labels are simulation-related inputs.  My button #24 is a simple PTT, and the artwork shows a 4-way/depress.  I also didn't use any of the base's buttons or rotaries since they have meaning to the VKB configuration, depending on the combos selected.  I used the 4-way/depress for button #23.

Hope this helps

STECS_MappingV5.PNG

Interesting to hear that the rotaries are more precise as axis, I might try it. Btw, I have the two buttons and the mode selector knob on the base bound in DCS, it doesn't cause any problems.

• Like 1

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Interesting to hear that the rotaries are more precise as axis, I might try it. Btw, I have the two buttons and the mode selector knob on the base bound in DCS, it doesn't cause any problems.

If you convert the rotaries, I used the x256 setting, but that, too, is very configurable.  

• Like 1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // VKB STECS Mini Plus Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

• 4 weeks later...

I posted the first two parts of my review trilogy previously, and finally, I got to the last one. This one focuses on detents and various configuration customizations, including quite extensive examples in VKB DevCfg. Let's call it "first impressions after 7 months" in the context of this thread. 🙂

• Thanks 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

What is it like in terms of ergonomics? I personally haven't had a chance to try it out, but from the videos, it looks more comfortable than the thrustmaster warthog. 

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.