STECS Standard - First Impressions

AlpineGTA

So, my STECS Standard throttle arrived today and I thought I'd give a quick initial impressions along with a few pics.

First of all, shipping was very fast (to the USA), I ordered it Sunday evening and it arrived on Thursday.

I've not had time to do a lot of flying with it yet because I've spent a lot of time today just getting it set up, configured, mapping buttons and learning how the detents work etc. Quality feels very good, it actually feels a little heavier than my WW Orion 2. The throttle axis is very smooth, I like the friction adjusting knobs on the front, they're really quick, simple and easy to use.

The buttons on the base are lower profile and have a different feel if you're used to something like the more prominent toggles on a WW or TM Warthog but I think it's just a question of muscle memory and you will get used to the different feel. I fly only in VR and I like that they're uniformly laid out. The rotary button that is used for selecting the different detents (when holding the grey button at the same time), if just turned by itself (without holding the grey button) doesn't do anything regarding changing the selected detent, It acts like just another switch, so it can also be mapped for something in DCS. I'm thinking wing fold on the F-18, or a weapon select dial in other aircraft. I like too that there aren't any buttons on the front of the base, so I don't have to feel and reach around the front of the throttles in VR.

The throttles have buttons and hats galore and they're laid out differently to what I'm used to, but it doesn't take long to adjust and alter your mappings a little. The front of the throttle feels a bit crowded at first but I love all the options it gives. I found that the two front triggers work really well for VR zoom and VR spyglass zoom and the two triggers on the back are great when you need to quickly press a drag chute button! The one minor negative thing I'm not so keen on is the TDC slew on the side operated by your thumb. It takes a lot of getting used to after operating it on the front with your finger for so may years and it's harder to feel which is the up/down, left and right. I also would prefer the shape was the dished type rather than conical. But that's a minor gripe that I will probably get used to. I'm sure it will be possible to change the shape of the hat also.

Probably the best thing about the throttle are the interchangeable detents. I'm still getting used to the config software and learning how to set everything up properly but I have it working for the F-18 and it's great just being able to push back and forth over a detent to activate the idle and cutoff and push into afterburner. I was constantly looking down in VR and listening to the sound to see when I was in or out of burner, but now I can just feel when the throttle is pushed up to the detent and push over when I want burner and back again to come out. And all the while I can just keep focusing on what's going on outside the cockpit. I can see it's going to be really cool in dogfights, especially when I have it set up for all my other modules.

Here are a few pics mounted on my rig and next to my WW and T16000M for some size comparison. The mounting holes in the base are the same dimensions as the WW Orion, which I believe copy the TM Warthog:

PXL_20230907_212729803.MP.jpg

PXL_20230907_212036743.MP.jpg

PXL_20230907_212327346.MP.jpg

PXL_20230908_011235056.jpg

PXL_20230907_212057226.MP.jpg

PXL_20230907_211939692.MP.jpg

PXL_20230907_212143286.MP.jpg

PXL_20230907_211920278.MP.jpg

PXL_20230908_011314290.jpg

PXL_20230907_212005674.MP.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Hey Alpine, first of all, thank you for your initial impression on the STECS and all the pictures. It looks like it's a very interesting product.

3 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

The rotary button that is used for selecting the different detents (when holding the grey button at the same time), if just turned by itself (without holding the grey button) doesn't do anything regarding changing the selected detent, It acts like just another switch, so it can also be mapped for something in DCS. I'm thinking wing fold on the F-18, or a weapon select dial in other aircraft. I like too that there aren't any buttons on the front of the base, so I don't have to feel and reach around the front of the throttles in VR.

Good to know, in the videos I watched it wasn't clear if the rotary was only to change profiles or if it could be used for bindings, too.

The one minor negative thing I'm not so keen on is the TDC slew on the side operated by your thumb. It takes a lot of getting used to after operating it on the front with your finger for so may years and it's harder to feel which is the up/down, left and right. I also would prefer the shape was the dished type rather than conical. But that's a minor gripe that I will probably get used to. I'm sure it will be possible to change the shape of the hat also.

That has been my main concern with the STECS, I honestly would like to have an analog stick under my index finger, like in the Hornet throttle. I wish that VKB made a button module with a ministick, so that we could put it in the MB1 slot; for the moment, it seems that we'll have to use a 5 way hat in that slot, to simulate the TDC. Have you tried using it, instead of the analog under the thumb? Is it easily reachable with the index finger? Can I ask you how long your index is, from palm to top? I'd like to understand if I can reache the buttons with my smallish hand.

the two triggers on the back are great when you need to quickly press a drag chute button!

How easy to use are those two buttons? I'm assuming you have to lift the hand from the throttle to use them, right? They don't seem very useful to me, in that position. And, talking of not conveniently placed controls, is the rotary on the lower back side of the right MTG easy to reach and use?

PXL_20230908_011235056.jpg

Lastly, could I ask you want mount are you using for your HOTAS? I need a new setup for mine!

Hi Gianky,

Yes, it would be nice if they made an option to place a mini-stick module on the front. I know VKB say they do their own thing and don't copy others, but for something that they've made so configurable everywhere else it seems a bit strange that they don't make this a configurable option too, so people have the choice. But it's really not that bad with your thumb once you're used to it, my main gripe is the shape; it would feel better with a dish type hat.

I haven't thought of using the 5-way hat for the TDC, I'll give it a try. But then it would seem a bit of a waste not using the analogue stick. I have no problem reaching the front 5-way, I don't have particularly large hands, I think they're quite average. My index finger is about 7cm or approx. 3" long.

I didn't think the two triggers on the back would be that useful too but it's still great to have more buttons and options, because they don't get in the way and as I mentioned they're surprisingly useful for things like drag chutes that you want quick access to, without having to look around the cockpit, or take your hand completely off the throttle to press a switch on the base, or use up another button on the throttle that might be accidently pressed. You don't have to take your hand completely off the throttle to use them, I think you can even just twist your hand slightly and use your thumb. And it's still early days, I'm sure I'll find uses for them in other modules too that don't have drag chutes.

I think the best thing about it is it's customisation; the ability to swop hats and buttons around and the detents, although I'm still learning my way around the config software and don't know how to configure the hats and buttons yet to work properly when you swap them around, but I'm sure it's probably easy once I've learnt how. I'm still also learning how to configure the detent zones and curves to match the throttle travel in DCS, but I'm sure that will become easier too once more people start using them and start writing how to guides and tutorials. There's probably already a ton of information on the forums and Discord that I haven't looked into yet. But I think it's quite exciting how you'll be able to configure it for different aircraft.

BTW, you don't need to keep the software running in the background when you're in DCS. Once you configure a setting it's flashed and saved to the throttle so you can then close the config software.

EDIT: I'm using Meza mounts mounted to a GT Omega racing stand that I used to use for sim racing. The keyboard holder and custom aluminium piece holding my trackball I machined myself.

EDIT 2: Yes, the rotary wheel on the lower back side is easy to reach with my thumb, I use it for radar elevation on the F-18.

Edited by AlpineGTA
HOTAS stand and rotary dial.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Thanks! Looks interesting.
The F-16 has the TDC on the side of the TQS for the thumb. That's where they got it from.
I can promise you that when you get used to it, it's way better, because the thumb is way better tool in itself. Than any finger.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Thanks! Looks interesting.
The F-16 has the TDC on the side of the TQS for the thumb. That's where they got it from.
I can promise you that when you get used to it, it's way better, because the thumb is way better tool in itself. Than any finger.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm going to persevere with it, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Hi Gianky,

Yes, it would be nice if they made an option to place a mini-stick module on the front. I know VKB say they do their own thing and don't copy others, but for something that they've made so configurable everywhere else it seems a bit strange that they don't make this a configurable option too, so people have the choice. But it's really not that bad with your thumb once you're used to it, my main gripe is the shape; it would feel better with a dish type hat.

I haven't thought of using the 5-way hat for the TDC, I'll give it a try. But then it would seem a bit of a waste not using the analogue stick. I have no problem reaching the front 5-way, I don't have particularly large hands, I think they're quite average. My index finger is about 7cm or approx. 3" long.

I didn't think the two triggers on the back would be that useful too but it's still great to have more buttons and options, because they don't get in the way and as I mentioned they're surprisingly useful for things like drag chutes that you want quick access to, without having to look around the cockpit, or take your hand completely off the throttle to press a switch on the base, or use up another button on the throttle that might be accidently pressed. You don't have to take your hand completely off the throttle to use them, I think you can even just twist your hand slightly and use your thumb. And it's still early days, I'm sure I'll find uses for them in other modules too that don't have drag chutes.

I think the best thing about it is it's customisation; the ability to swop hats and buttons around and the detents, although I'm still learning my way around the config software and don't know how to configure the hats and buttons yet to work properly when you swap them around, but I'm sure it's probably easy once I've learnt how. I'm still also learning how to configure the detent zones and curves to match the throttle travel in DCS, but I'm sure that will become easier too once more people start using them and start writing how to guides and tutorials. There's probably already a ton of information on the forums and Discord that I haven't looked into yet. But I think it's quite exciting how you'll be able to configure it for different aircraft.

BTW, you don't need to keep the software running in the background when you're in DCS. Once you configure a setting it's flashed and saved to the throttle so you can then close the config software.

EDIT: I'm using Meza mounts mounted to a GT Omega racing stand that I used to use for sim racing. The keyboard holder and custom aluminium piece holding my trackball I machined myself.

EDIT 2: Yes, the rotary wheel on the lower back side is easy to reach with my thumb, I use it for radar elevation on the F-18.

Thank you very much for all of your answers, Alpine!

As for the cap of the analog stick, it should be possible to change it, this guy did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwR_QSLFyw

not sure how he did it, though, I can't understand anything in that video!

4 hours ago, Gianky said:

Thank you very much for all of your answers, Alpine!

As for the cap of the analog stick, it should be possible to change it, this guy did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwR_QSLFyw

not sure how he did it, though, I can't understand anything in that video!

Yes, thanks, I've seen that video. I think it's the same cap that comes with the analogue stick on the Gunfighter Modern Combat grip but I think you have to buy that stick to obtain it. It'd be nice if in future they provide a spare with the STECS. I'm slowly getting used to the thumb stick now and beginning to like it.

• Like 1

The SEM side extension module arrived today so I thought I'd add a couple more pics to show it. It might look like a lot of buttons but I don't believe you can ever have too many for DCS and I like the extra options it gives. I like having the flap and landing gear levers on it, they're easy to find in VR and it frees up the ones on the base module for things like master arm toggle. I've changed the grip colours to green too, it's a bit more subtle.

PXL_20230908_225209222.MP.jpgPXL_20230908_225152982.MP.jpg

• Like 3

@AlpineGTA How are you with the new pedals? I had the old ones and sold them because they don't have the differential brakes. I didn't get well with the virtual brake.

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

10 hours ago, Aviators said:

@AlpineGTA How are you with the new pedals? I had the old ones and sold them because they don't have the differential brakes. I didn't get well with the virtual brake.

They're not the new Mk.V VKB ones with the new style foot rests. They look very similar but they're actually Virpil ACE Torq pedals. I got them over the VKB for the adjustable clutch damper. They don't have brakes either but that doesn't bother me, I use the brake lever axis on my stick.

I've been going through all my other modules mapping the controls and one slight niggly annoyance is that the throttle axis default to the joystick pitch and roll axis, so you have to unbind them and then rebind them to the correct throttle axis. And then you have to invert them because they move in the wrong direction. It's not a major thing and is easily fixed but it does start to get a bit tedious when you have to do it for every module.

I don't know if it's a VKB thing or if it's something on the DCS side, with it being such a new device, but it would be nice if it defaulted to the correct axis bindings.

Yes, no problem, as soon as I have it done! Sorry, I haven't got anything to share yet, I haven't fully mapped all the buttons yet, I've just been going through some of my modules getting the axis mapped for now. The only aircraft that I have fully mapped at the moment is the Mirage F-1 CE as that's what I'm mostly flying at the moment. And I'm still experimenting, playing around with some of the mappings to see what I prefer.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:33 AM, AlpineGTA said:

The SEM side extension module arrived today so I thought I'd add a couple more pics to show it. It might look like a lot of buttons but I don't believe you can ever have too many for DCS and I like the extra options it gives. I like having the flap and landing gear levers on it, they're easy to find in VR and it frees up the ones on the base module for things like master arm toggle. I've changed the grip colours to green too, it's a bit more subtle.

Thank you, Alpine, I was thinking of buying a STECS max, but after seeing your setup, I'm gonna take the same one. You're right, you can't ever have too many buttons!

How does it compare to the Warthog Throttle? This is what I currently have, and this looks like it will be my next upgrade. 

Do you think it would fair well with WW2 airplanes?

Intel i5 13600 cpu // Gigabyte z790 Aorus Elite AX // 64GB RAM // RTX4070ti // VKB Black Mamba MkIII // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // Rift S

9 hours ago, Gianky said:

Thank you, Alpine, I was thinking of buying a STECS max, but after seeing your setup, I'm gonna take the same one. You're right, you can't ever have too many buttons!

I was initially going to buy the Max too but after seeing that you could combine it with the NXT modules I went with the SEM and Standard. I like having the landing gear and flaps in front of me (the Max would give this too), but it also then frees up the ones on the Standard that I like to use for other things.

The only caveat I would add is that with the Max you will have most of your buttons in front of you and because the throttle base is shorter on the Max, you won't have to reach as far behind to reach the few that are on the base. But I suppose that all depends on your personal setup and preference. Because of the SEM on the holder in front of the throttle I have had to mount my throttle a little bit further back than I had my WW. I would prefer it mounted about an inch further forward but there's a protrusion on my flight stand that prevents me from doing so. Or if the gap between the throttle and the NXT mount was about an inch less would be perfect, but I suppose they have to account for those with larger hands. It's not a deal breaker though, just a small niggle, it's not like I have to twist around to reach the buttons or anything, it's just me being a bit pedantic trying to get my setup perfect for me. I will probably devise a better mounting solution eventually.

2 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

How does it compare to the Warthog Throttle? This is what I currently have, and this looks like it will be my next upgrade. 

Do you think it would fair well with WW2 airplanes?

I've no experience with the Warthog, sorry, but if it's anything like the WWW Orion it might take time to adjust from having mostly metal toggles on the base to mostly buttons. I think everything is about compromise to some extent, it depends what you fly and what you prefer. I think some modules suit button mappings better and others you might prefer to have lots of toggles. For me though, the most important part is the throttle itself and the STECS feels really nice, smooth and accurate, as smooth as the WW Orion, which I think feels excellent too.

I don't see why it wouldn't work well with the WW2 planes. I have all the Warbirds and will be using it with those too but I haven't had the time to map any yet. The only thing that is perhaps missing for WW2 planes is having a couple of dedicated axis levers like the WW Orion has, and I think the Warthog has one too? I found those useful for things like mixture and rpm. It does have the thumbwheel axis on the throttle though and the flap switch can be converted to an axis. I think all the essentials can be mapped with a bit of creativity. It would be nice though if VKB included a small axis lever or two on the base out of the box.

4 hours ago, Gianky said:

Hey @AlpineGTA, one more question: I have a GF MII, can I connect the STECS to the GF blackbox? Or do I have to use another USB port?

I don't know sorry, I don't have a GF blackbox. I'm sure VKB could answer that for you.

2 hours ago, fallout9 said:

Different devices; they'll both have to be plugged to USB independently.

Copy that, Fallout, thank you!

EDIT: just to be clear, since I made a typo in my previous post, is it the same for a GF MkIII?

Edited by Gianky