Grey Coating On Bombs?

exhausted

It is my understanding Harriers, especially on the boat, use bombs with fire retardant coatings on them. I don't like seeing my bombs look like they are from Air Force stockpiles. Can we change the color schemes for most JDAM and dumb bombs? The GBU-12 already has it.

Hi,
I feel like you. I order myself as follows:
Take a look here:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328109/
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328097/

In the zip you will find, for example, the following file GBU_32_Diff.png (and others). Copy this into the Harrier Livery directory of your choice, adjust the appropriate description.lua, and you're done. Unfortunately, this is currently the only way I know.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

10 hours ago, exhausted said:

Shouldn't this be a default option for carrier missions?

It's not tied to a mission, it's tied to a skin. So unless they make copies of all skins for ground and water operations, and then have mission makers use only the carrier skins it's a little bit too much effort. Much easier to just let mission makers add the grey bomb skins to their missions if they want that realism.

• Like 1

It could be fixed by ED though, by having two types/skins of each bomb, and properly allocating them to the warehouses.  That way, whenever you arm an aircraft, you receive the correct ordnance for that site.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 5:15 AM, exhausted said:

Shouldn't this be a default option for carrier missions?

Depends on timeline. In the 80s and 90s the bombs had ablative coating but were painted green with three yellow bands to indicate the coating. The gray scheme didn't come about until 2001~2003 and didn't completely replace the green bombs until later in the 2000s.