Detecting missile launches/tracking at ME...

Keith Briscoe

Still very new... I'm flying the F15C, doing a lot of training missions to build knowledge and muscle memory.

I'm doing 1v1 BVR... is there a visual or audio indication on RWR for missiles?  Pretty sure I just saw an "M" indicated in my last round.  But doesn't happen every time.  I assume 'some' missiles give off a signature that the F15c can detect, others cannot.

Should I just assume that specific plans within a certain distance WILL launch?  And, should I know which types of missiles they have (or maybe this doesn't matter so much?)?  Active vs. Semi-Active - and how will that matter to me?

I'm still noob cheating and using labels, so sometimes I can tell something is coming at me, but not always.  I'll turn these off eventually.

thanks.

If a radar guided missile is launched at you, you will get an audible launch allert from your RWR sooner or later (depends if it is active or passive guided) and a M indication on it. 

If it is IR guided, there will be no indication except the smoke trail that you have to see with your own eyes. 

If you want to be on the safe side, you should disengage and turn around at the MAR (minimum abort range). That range obviously depends on what missiles the aircraft can carry. It is not a guarantee that the aircraft will launch a missile, but it is to be on the safe side. So if you know what type of aircraft you fly against, you will know what missiles it can carry and at what range those missiles will get dangerous for you. 

7 hours ago, Keith Briscoe said:

Should I just assume that specific plans within a certain distance WILL launch?

Yes.  If you're in a weapons employment zone of your enemy (those WEZ's can be very dynamic) assume a weapon is being employed against you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The "M" is only for active missile. For semi-active you'll only get launch warning from the attacking aircraft.

For missile ranges and types look at DCS encyclopedia but the missile ranges are dynamic, so it's complicated at first, as they depend on both target and your speed, altitude, aspect and maneuvering. You must remember and know before the mission what aircraft you can expect, what missiles they can carry and how they relate to your weapons.

Your best bet for BVR is active (ARH) AIM-120C followed by AIM-120B. AIM-7 semi-active (SARH) is still considered medium range but it's on the edge of WVR, where you will use AIM-9 (IR).

Your frequent enemy will be Su-27 with a bit shorter legged SARH R-27ER or much shorter R-27R (SARH). Its WVR weapon is R-73 (IR) - short range but beware! They have also medium range IR R-27ET and rather short range IR R-27T.

Another common enemy will be MiG-29A with R-27R or MiG-29S with ARH! R-77, medium range, not impressive but due to active guidance be extra careful. In WVR they will toss also IR R-73.

MiG-31 is your nightmare, very fast with its long range R-33 SARH. MiG-25, also fast, but with medium ranged SARH R-40.

Other older types like MiG-21 and 23 present less threat.

Check this guide. It's old but still apply. Great for beginners.

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners-by-sryan-very-img-heavy/2063

For RWR indications check the F-15C maual in your installation DCS folder \mods\aircraft\F-15 (or FC3)\docs\ - but you already have read that, right?

Fly high and fast!

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria