P51D Into the Open Mission Trouble.

Angelthunder

I've been playing the one of the free P-51D Mustang missions on my DCS called Into the Open where you use HVAR rockets to attack German supply ships but every time i play my aircraft's engine dies out every time i fly the mission where i have too bailout.Is this a bug or am i playing it wrong.

Edited by Angelthunder

9 hours ago, Art-J said:

Is it one of the stock missions or custom one, downloaded from somewhere? If the latter, attach it here so we can take a look.

It's the stock one from ED when you buy the module.I don't have any problem with the other three free stock missions that are available in the Mission section of DCS.Even when flying straight and level to the target which is 103NM from base or going back to base the engine suddenly starts to go out and and i lose altitude quickly into the Black Sea.

53 minutes ago, Angelthunder said:

It's the stock one from ED when you buy the module.I don't have any problem with the other three free stock missions that are available in the Mission section of DCS.Even when flying straight and level to the target which is 103NM from base or going back to base the engine suddenly starts to go out and and i lose altitude quickly into the Black Sea.

How are you treating your engine?

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

3 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

How are you treating your engine?

I have the Manifold Pressure set to 50 Pct after take off and adjust accordingly when in flight and i set the Prop RPM to 2600 in cruising flight while also using elevator trim to ascend or descend between 3000Ft and 6000Ft.I've done it with the other free stock missions and ME created missions with no problem at all.

When the engine quit, have you checked the fuel status? I can see this mission has fuel set to 50% between both tanks so it doesn't take long to run empty on left if you forget to switch to right and back on regular basis. 

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

When the engine quit, have you checked the fuel status? I can see this mission has fuel set to 50% between both tanks so it doesn't take long to run empty on left if you forget to switch to right and back on regular basis. 

I always keep fuel selector to the Main Tank LH

I checked the Mission Planner Tab for each free stock P-51D Missions and i noticed the other three missions have shorter distances to the target and i have more Internal Fuel carried but on the one i have problems with i only have 50% internal fuel while my AI teammates carry 68% fuel on the mission and the target is almost 200NM longer the longest in the free P-51D stock missions.

Edited by Angelthunder

Well, there you have it then. It's quite possible you ran dry on the left. Don't forget to check the quantity and switch to right when needed. Also make sure you've got mixture on "run" rather than "emergency rich" (popular mistake amongst new DCS Mustang users), as the latter guzzles fuel like there's no tomorrow.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks,i can just increase the internal fuel to 68% in the Mission Planner tab and hope it saves it since i can't edit a stock mission.By the way is there anyway to see the fuel gauges underneath the pilots' seat,it looks like the left and right gauges are obscured.

Edited by Angelthunder

You mean without any head tracking or VR device? I guess creating your own 2 custom snap views, one for each tank gauge, could help, but I've never done it myself. Googling for DCS snap views reveals some tutorials, though, so you'll certainly figure it out.

A short term option, IF fuel shortage was indeed the culprit, just switch to right tank when the engine quits. As long as it's windmilling and magnetos is on, it will restart on its own once booster pump picks up from the right tank so there's no need to hurry.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:49 AM, Art-J said:

You mean without any head tracking or VR device? I guess creating your own 2 custom snap views, one for each tank gauge, could help, but I've never done it myself. Googling for DCS snap views reveals some tutorials, though, so you'll certainly figure it out.

A short term option, IF fuel shortage was indeed the culprit, just switch to right tank when the engine quits. As long as it's windmilling and magnetos is on, it will restart on its own once booster pump picks up from the right tank so there's no need to hurry.

I finally did the mission again and i switched the fuel selector to right after it started to go out and it worked and i managed to head back to base safely after expending my rockets on the target.

Edited by Angelthunder
  • Like 1