B1-B/B-52 AI bombing tutorial

grim_reaper68

Just tried this again on the Sinai map instead of Syria and only created 3 way points with second having the "carpet bomb" task..  on top of some enemy vehicle. 

In this case, the B-52 flew past it, then turned and flew back out to the first waypoint, then turned and came back and dropped all the bombs on the "triangle" point for the task.

Interesting. Maybe using too many waypoints interferes 

Yeah... I added another B-52 and it just did nothing.  I did switch the "carpet bomb" to bomb a point and adjusted the direction from which the plane comes in.. which did work. Got it to drop something like 90 500 pound iron bombs. 

I also added 4 Abrams tanks and set the waypoints for just one along with attacking the enemy vehicles at the last two. "attack enemy group".. All the tanks followed and did the same. 

Maybe the tanks drivers are smarter than B-52 pilots? LOL

On 10/27/2023 at 12:18 PM, EmJay22 said:

(I) only created 3 way points with second having the "carpet bomb" task…

In this case, the B-52 flew past it, then turned and flew back out to the first waypoint, then turned and came back and dropped all the bombs on the "triangle" point for the task.

I believe the “carpet bombing” WP was too close to the target. I’ve forgotten the exact distances involved but that’s often the sort of behavior you see with that issue.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Obviously not a tutorial but here's a working sample. Depending on the area you're trying to cover, though, it might be best to use single aircraft rather than a group, if you need tight coverage.

B-52 Bombing.miz

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

To engage a group of targets it's perhaps better to use the CAS task (I know it doesn't really make sense, but unlike Ground Attack, CAS has search then engage unit/group actions and attack unit/group options).

So far in testing, they will respect quantities, but not necessarily max attack quantity (leading to them making multiple passes on a single group) though it's probably better to use cluster bombs if available.

Here's a very simple example test mission - it will also work if you swap the B-52H for the B-1B.

B-52H_attack group.miz

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

54 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

To engage a group of targets it's perhaps better to use the CAS task (I know it doesn't really make sense, but unlike Ground Attack, CAS has search then engage unit/group actions and attack unit/group options).

So far in testing, they will respect quantities, but not necessarily max attack quantity (leading to them making multiple passes on a single group) though it's probably better to use cluster bombs if available.

Here's a very simple example test mission - it will also work if you swap the B-52H for the B-1B.

B-52H_attack group.miz 8.65 kB · 2 downloads

Revised your mission to a two-ship and made a larger single group (rather than two smaller groups) for them to attack. Then added that they attack as a group, and it worked like a charm. Revised mission attached.

B-52H_attack group-Revised.miz

• Like 1

_____

44 minutes ago, grim_reaper68 said:

in your saved games\DCS.Openbeta\Missions.

Just made several tests, made a mission with 3 groups of tanks, designated each group to a flight, but they won't attack the assigned group. The B52's just go away and land instead of bombing the target. 

That's annoying.

I have DCS installed to a different location, so don't know where "saved games" is. I have saved plenty of "missions" from the Editor but can't find them after searching.

I also somehow installed the Openbeta into my normal DCS directory

Can you share your full path?

Just now, EmJay22 said:

That's annoying.

I have DCS installed to a different location, so don't know where "saved games" is. I have saved plenty of "missions" from the Editor but can't find them after searching.

I also somehow installed the Openbeta into my normal DCS directory

Can you share your full path?

Okay... Windows search helped me to find them... LOL. I hope I can get it to work.

42 minutes ago, EmJay22 said:

I have DCS installed to a different location, so don't know where "saved games" is

It’s on your C drive (regardless of where DCS is installed) under your user name. In saved games you’ll see a DCS folder. In there will be a bunch of folders one of which will be “Missions”. 

EDIT: If memory serves, in Windows File Explorer, go to:

C:\users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Saved Games

Edited by Ironhand

_____

It’s on your C drive (regardless of where DCS is installed) under your user name. In saved games you’ll see a DCS folder. In there will be a bunch of folders one of which will be “Missions”. 
EDIT: If memory serves, in Windows File Explorer, go to:
C:\users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Saved Games

Thanks for spelling that out. I did manage to copy the file to that directory and the mission worked perfectly.

I’ll have to study it to try to apply to my mission.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, grim_reaper68 said:

in your saved games\DCS.Openbeta\Missions.

Just made several tests, made a mission with 3 groups of tanks, designated each group to a flight, but they won't attack the assigned group. The B52's just go away and land instead of bombing the target. 

Why don’t you post the mission so that we can take a look at it? Otherwise it’s a guessing game.

_____

I did manage to save the sample to that folder and it works just awesome. I'll have study it a bit to try to learn how to create the same type of task. 

I have also been trying to figure out to add an additional "camera" so as to allow watching the carnage. 

1 hour ago, EmJay22 said:

…I have also been trying to figure out to add an additional "camera" so as to allow watching the carnage. 

Probably the easiest way is to use F7 to bring us one of the ground units. The LCtrl+F11 to set the free moving camera and position it where you want.

_____

15 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Probably the easiest way is to use F7 to bring us one of the ground units. The LCtrl+F11 to set the free moving camera and position it where you want.

The F7 doesn't seem to work... but then it does if you just hold it down long enough.  Strange. Maybe my keyboard. Thanks though for confirming that.  

The F7 doesn't seem to work... but then it does if you just hold it down long enough.  Strange. Maybe my keyboard. Thanks though for confirming that.  

Actually, it basically only works maybe 1 time or 2.

42 minutes ago, EmJay22 said:

Actually, it basically only works maybe 1 time or 2.

That’s weird. Works every time for me without any issues.

What happens if you place a static object and use F12?

_____

15 hours ago, Ironhand said:

That’s weird. Works every time for me without any issues.

What happens if you place a static object and use F12?

Even tried a cleanup and repair.

But the static object and F12 works fine. 

Thanks

And I guess I hijacked this thread.. sorry...