Which 3dmax do you want to use?

Which 3dmax do you want to use?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3dmax do you want to use?

• 3dmax version 9
    • 3dmax 2008
    • 3dmax 2009

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Yup, i'm just learning my self, but that wiki book "noob to pro" is really good!

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Guys, dont forget that it probably took a long time and a lot of money to create the initial plugins for max. Reworking them somewhat so they work with a newer version of max is far easier that creating an entire new set of plugins from scratch.

This is true, but limiting yourself to a 3 thousand dollar program is going to limit the mods to talented guys who use max to make ligit money with it. By opening up to free modeling programs like Blender, you can attract aircraft enthusiasts who just want to do one thing, make a model in their favorite game. This exploded MSFS when Gmax was introduced. And it can explode LOMAC/DCS too. Wouldn't you rather have an F-4 Phantom made by someone who wants it to look authentic because they love airplanes? Or made by someone who happens to use max for work and may or may not be an aircraft enthusiast. I take the enthusiast everytime. See Captainsim for a group of enthusiasts who decided to take their hobby to the next level.

Max

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Proud founder of VNAO and current deck jockey with VFA-103:pilotfly::pilotfly:

Can TurboCAD be used to create models for DCS? Apparently, TurboCAD can import and export to 3ds format.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

3ds and 3DMAX (3ds MAX) is the same thing right?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

They go by 3d Studio Max or just 3D max. The thing is that the program you listed isnt the actual main format which 3D Max uses by defualt. When you create a scene it saves a .max file. the .3DS format is used for export/import and I generally don't like it as much as the .obj format which is used for Maya.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 months later...

I vote Blender, period. I know, I know, it wasn't an option, but, it's FREE! I have been using it for 3 years now and can't believe how fast it's growing and becoming more and more powerful. Can't wait for 2.5!

I don't see how people can afford to spend thousands of dollars for max just for their own personal use. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

I vote Blender, period. I know, I know, it wasn't an option, but, it's FREE! I have been using it for 3 years now and can't believe how fast it's growing and becoming more and more powerful. Can't wait for 2.5!

I don't see how people can afford to spend thousands of dollars for max just for their own personal use. It's ridiculous.

+1

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

It makes sense to choose Blender, since everybody is then able to share the same stuff easily without having to either pay a small fortune or infringe copyright. Blender used to be an internal (commercial) product used by a Dutch production company but money was raised to free it and now it is open source.

i never used blender personally, can it be imported to 3dmax?

Well, there's nothing stopping you from trying it out! :smilewink:

http://www.blender.org

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Aero out