Updating 2.9 at 800MBps takes days. If I turn the update off. I have to start over again, and not pick up where I left off

ctguy1955

Has the ability to restart a download from where You last stopped, now gone from 2.9 DCSW ?
I am on my 3rd attempt and only after 2 days did it just give Me a ETA of 20+ hours to go.
Tomorrow the town I live in is having a planned outage and My DCS D/L will not be finished yet.

I have a 2nd SSD that has the updated version to 2.9, with all 9 maps (362.9GB) but I have to leave off 4 maps to have 
space to do the update to 2.9    I was not able to just copy and paste and have it update any faster.

Thanks for any info or help
    Mike

image.jpeg

Edited by ctguy1955

I feel your pain 😕.  Mine not nearly as slow as yours (about 2x that speed) but still painful.  My question is, while the completion bar reset to zero when you have to restart, did it actually redownload stuff or was your total MB to download smaller?  Someone else had a similar issue when they kept losing connection (albeit at a higher speed) and agreed after they checked that it was a smaller download each time they restarted.  Hope this is the case for you if you get booted!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

Has the ability to restart a download from where You last stopped, now gone from 2.9 DCSW ?
I am on my 3rd attempt and only after 2 days did it just give Me a ETA of 20+ hours to go.
Tomorrow the town I live in is having a planned outage and My DCS D/L will not be finished yet.

I have a 2nd SSD that has the updated version to 2.9, with all 9 maps (362.9GB) but I have to leave off 4 maps to have 
space to do the update to 2.9    I was not able to just copy and paste and have it update any faster.

Thanks for any info or help
    Mike

post your autoupdate_log.txt. restart your internet equipment as well.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 10/27/2023 at 5:35 PM, rob10 said:

I feel your pain 😕.  Mine not nearly as slow as yours (about 2x that speed) but still painful.  My question is, while the completion bar reset to zero when you have to restart, did it actually redownload stuff or was your total MB to download smaller?  Someone else had a similar issue when they kept losing connection (albeit at a higher speed) and agreed after they checked that it was a smaller download each time they restarted.  Hope this is the case for you if you get booted!

I am now on my 6th or 7th attempt.  I have had no use of either ssd drive open beta versions. only another 20 hours to go and that is the repair.  
just the 9 maps are 362.9 gigs and then every jet and plane and You need over 2TB with missions and Track's

I ordered a microsoft DVD  "win 11 Pro" to update my win10 pro and I cannot properly change my security boot option so microsoft refuses the update.

7 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

I am now on my 6th or 7th attempt.  I have had no use of either ssd drive open beta versions. only another 20 hours to go and that is the repair.  
just the 9 maps are 362.9 gigs and then every jet and plane and You need over 2TB with missions and Track's

I ordered a microsoft DVD  "win 11 Pro" to update my win10 pro and I cannot properly change my security boot option so microsoft refuses the update.

you talking about bitlocker?

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

No silverdevil, I do not use bitlocker. I need to enable secure boot.    After waiting: the last update made it and I was able to fly for awhile.
So then I decided to update the other ssd version copy and paste and now both are having problems with many missing dll files.
Happy Halloween to all 

• Like 1

No silverdevil, I do not use bitlocker. I need to enable secure boot.    After waiting: the last update made it and I was able to fly for awhile.
So then I decided to update the other ssd version copy and paste and now both are having problems with many missing dll files.
Happy Halloween to all 

Consider getting Skatezilla's GUI Updater/Launcher Utility, and do repairs. You can even use it to add/remove modules/maps without starting DCS.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Hi Max,  I have used it for years, but the latest update changed so many things around it will not work for Me now.
I just totally formatted a 2tb drive and it still said not enough room to put dcs on it. 

I know there must be lots of people like me who live in the sticks that have slow internet. 
If only someone sold large updates on dvd on ebay or ED itself, I would gladly pay 10-15 bucks for it.

I could upload screen captures of 3 days worth of failed D/L's over and over.   
I have spent over a grand on mods/terrains, never mind 7K on my PC.  Having it not work really is a shame.

Edited by ctguy1955
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

Hi Max,  I have used it for years, but the latest update changed so many things around it will not work for Me now.
I just totally formatted a 2tb drive and it still said not enough room to put dcs on it. 

I see. Well that's not right. I've read through the thread again, and there must be something wrong with the settings. I got a little confused. Do you have a working updated 2.9 installation on one of your drives now? You see, that's confusing me, because then the installation you're updating should be able pull the necessary data from there. 

Have you tried to download the newest updater? 

3 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

I know there must be lots of people like me who live in the sticks that have slow internet. 
If only someone sold large updates on dvd on ebay or ED itself, I would gladly pay 10-15 bucks for it.

Probably. I thought you had an issue with the downloader only. But your connection speed is actually only 0.8MBps? (=6.4Mbps). Your header says 800MBps=6400Mbps=6.4Gbps, det would've solved it😉).

Maybe if you post in the sales forum, someone nearby will offer to send you a key drive?

4 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

I could upload screen captures of 3 days worth of failed D/L's over and over.   
I have spent over a grand on mods/terrains, never mind 7K on my PC.  Having it not work really is a shame.

It really is a shame, and I feel you. 2.9 kept crashing my GPU when compiling shaders, so I was out for over a week until a got a newer second hand GPU. 

No need to post more screens grabs of failed updates. I would like to see some screenshots of your file/disk set up though. Because of you have 2TB of free space where you point to installation. I see no reason it should fail. So I'm sure I'm missing something to give you better advice. 

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

I would like to see some screenshots of your file/disk set up though. Because of you have 2TB of free space where you point to installation. I see no reason it should fail. So I'm sure I'm missing something to give you better advice. 

Cheers! 

I'll 2nd this.  If you have 2 TB of FREE space and it won't install, something is wrong with your drive or settings.  DCS has become rather large, but even with all the maps and planes I don't think it would be >1 TB (I have most of the maps other than Marianas and S.A. and a bunch of aircraft and I'm sub 500 GB).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rob10 said:

I'll 2nd this.  If you have 2 TB of FREE space and it won't install, something is wrong with your drive or settings.  DCS has become rather large, but even with all the maps and planes I don't think it would be >1 TB (I have most of the maps other than Marianas and S.A. and a bunch of aircraft and I'm sub 500 GB).

I have everything, and it's less than 700Gigs.

• Like 1

I am sorry I messed up and wrote MB when I meant I get between 700-800 Kbps

DCS Cust Svc advised Me to turn off my pc protection and use repair.  I tried that on my own a week ago.
I went to the library and I thought they had 1 gig per sec but they only have 24MbPS and a 2 hour max time 
window for sharing the libraries pc's.  Because DCS makes you DL the 2.9 OB with one or both maps, it takes
more time to DL then the library allows.  I thought about buying a used laptop and finding a 1 Gig wifi area but 
I hope something can happen soon.   Thanks for all the help Guys ! 

Edited by ctguy1955
mentioned wrong DL speed by mistake
  • Like 1

dcs.log.olddcs.log

hope this helps, I have lots of logs as I had two SSD drives with mirrored copies and they both do not work now.

I forgot to mention that I never turned off my firewalls until just now. Repair can only occur with admin Cmd Prompt I guess ?

You wrote you use Skatezilla's tool. I recommend to use it for repairs since you already have it. No need for elevated cmd.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Been using it for 5 years at least.  Newest version gave me problems so I use 1. 1.0.1042 build 7.1
I'm just trying right now to do a repair and it is not working as the build select area does not see the way to the program
even though I have a green on folder path and saved games areas.

23 minutes ago, ctguy1955 said:

Been using it for 5 years at least.  Newest version gave me problems so I use 1. 1.0.1042 build 7.1
I'm just trying right now to do a repair and it is not working as the build select area does not see the way to the program
even though I have a green on folder path and saved games areas.

What was the issue with the new one?
In the new one you can configure a "source" it seems, not that I've needed to try that.

image.png