OpenXR / AMD CPU / Nvidia GPU / Stutter

Hi

Thought I would ask if the devs could look at this scenario

Running DCS in VR using native OpenXR with an AMD CPU and Nvidia graphics card results in terrain stutters (mainly low altitude and looking to the side).  This is with reprojection @ 45FPS or 31 FPS.  I also get 1 CPU core maxed out. 

Now I thought maybe its a setting or the PC but........

Switching to Steam VR (setting steam VR as the OpenXR runtime) I get smooth gameplay with reprojection @45 FPS.  Note the CPU is no longer maxed out on one core

Therefore the issue is with the OpenXR implementation in MT and the reprojection.

Very grateful if this could be looked into

Final point is open XR runs smooth in ST for me with no CPU issues

-----------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

I'm seeing the same with the MT Client. (Quest Pro, 13900K, 4090)
A good test is to look out of the cockpit to the side and roll the jet.

• ST Client --> smooth.
  • MT Client and SteamVR set as OpenXR Runtime --> smooth.

• MT Client and Occulus or VDXR set as OpenXR Runtime --> jitter/terrain stutters     (with or without motion Reprojection - even with frametimes below 8 ms).
    BUT mostly smooth with OpenXR Toolkit Turbo mode enabled.

I have tried a lot.
HAGS on/off, E Cores off, HT off, Nvidia Control Panel settings (Threaded Optimization, Max prerendered Frames, ...). Unparked Cores, set High Perf Power Plan. 
For a test i even tried the lowest possible resolution and settings but it was no use. The jitter is not visible in frametime graphs. DCS FPS graph is perfectly smooth line despite the jitter.
(What i still need to try is to limit the fps to headset refresh, because someone posted this today in a forum thread)

Since the ST Client and SteamVR run butter smooth I think it might be something the MT Client does different. It's like as if the timing of the frames is out of sync somehow.

Edited by Sile

Did you try without XMP enabled in bios .

Also rebar on . Can't remember the bar name in bios . 

Just a thought this worked for me post new patch . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Same issues for me with a 5800x3D and 3090 and Reverb G2. I get stuttering in the menu down to single digit FPS.

Smooth in ST/SteamVR.

Stuttering in MT/OpenXRToolkit. Have tried unparking CPU cores, disabling SMT in Process Lasso, disabling CPU10 which goes to 100%. Not much luck with any of them.

Haven't tried setting SteamVR as the OpenXR Runtime though. Would rather not considering all the benefits of the Toolkit/Quadviews app but I'll give it a try for troubleshooting purposes.

Are you in VR when in menu . 

Reset OpenXR back to default. 

I had stuttering with turbo mode on . 

I've also limited my frame count too 36 . In tools . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Am 2.11.2023 um 05:29 schrieb CaptainFlint42:

Haven't tried setting SteamVR as the OpenXR Runtime though. Would rather not considering all the benefits of the Toolkit/Quadviews app but I'll give it a try for troubleshooting purposes.

Just try. U can still use the Toolkit. But u should disable/uninstall Quadviews for testing. It can be disabled in the SteamVR - OpenXR (API) Layer Settings.

Am 30.10.2023 um 20:06 schrieb Underscore:

Note the CPU is no longer maxed out on one core

I also see one Core at 100% with OpenXR (Oculus Runtime). 

Edited by Sile

@BIGNEWY is there still active bug resolution / work happening on MT to fix issues like the one in this thread or is MT considered complete internally?

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

• ED Team

Work continues for tweaking multithreading. 

If you have not all ready try unparking your cpu cores, it seems to help many. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

thanks for taking the time to reply

no joy with the CPU parking - think the issue is def with OpenXR and motion smoothing timing 

Hopefully the guys will find something to fix it soon

Have you checked if the Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling HAGS setting makes any difference? With Pimax Smart Smoothing on having HAGS enabled reduces the microstutters in my system.

And seems like others using the Reverb G2 had the same experience:

Edited by f14billy

Yea HAGS on or off is the same with openXR

i would say it was a system thing but with steam working smoothly it can’t be. But steam does not have 1/3 FPS with motion smooth which I need sometimes low over a city with good settings 

On my Quest 3, I run it with VD at 72Hz, then I limit frames in nvidia control panel to 72, and also create the autoexec.cfg  file in the config folder with frames max 72. If I do ALL 3, it’s magical. No other 1000 things I’ve done helped at all, but the combination of those 3 made my fps counter in game to GPU bound and buttery smooth performance. In 2d it smoothed it out as well. Give it a try! I’ve spent 3 years chasing the performance I have now. 

I have to stress this, you have to limit frames in the nvidia control panel AND create the autoexec.cfg file limiting the fps. Obviously use your limit to whatever you want, I I just run 72 because it’s the easiest to run in VR. 

Edited by baileya1c