Take of from a carrier and VFR Landing INS NAV

edudix
Go to solution Solved by edudix,

Hello guys, 

I´ve a question, If I take off from a carrier, then after the mission I land and refuel on airfield without shutting down the aircraft, do I have to recalibrate the INS NAV? It is necessary?

If it is so, do I´ve to put the knob off>GND>....

I´ve found that the NAV does not calibrate propperly and can not find the Carrier correctly with the tacan.

Thanks.

Edited by edudix

As long as you don't shut down you shouldn't need to recalibrate.  Make sure you keep it in INS IFA to allow GPS correction of your INS (rather than INS NAV which will drift over time in ways that aren't currently well simulated).  NAV shouldn't impact TCN though AFAIK 🤔.

19 hours ago, rob10 said:

As long as you don't shut down you shouldn't need to recalibrate.  Make sure you keep it in INS IFA to allow GPS correction of your INS (rather than INS NAV which will drift over time in ways that aren't currently well simulated).  NAV shouldn't impact TCN though AFAIK 🤔.

Hi, thanks, yes I do use IFA. But when I land on an Airfield, without shutting down the plane, It seems like the HSI goes crazy and does not reach the TACAN signal proppperly. Bearing, distance.... the figures are not correct. For that reason I asked If I have to put the INS knob in OFF to recalibrate again to "tell the plane" where Im located. Or Im doing something wrong. 

1. TACAN works on line of sight, so if you're on the ground and TACAN station is far away it can be not visible.

2. There is a long standing bug if you have TACAN receiver working for a long time it will show BS. Turn it off then on again.

13 hours ago, Foka said:

1. TACAN works on line of sight, so if you're on the ground and TACAN station is far away it can be not visible.

2. There is a long standing bug if you have TACAN receiver working for a long time it will show BS. Turn it off then on again.

1) Ok

2) I did not know about this. I´ll try it and let you know.

13 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

Can you elaborate further?

Are your TCN indications correct prior to the landing? Where did you land? What TCN was set? What is the allegedly wrong reading?

I´ll try again today and let you know. Carrier TCN set, previously on the editor then in mission. Im playing in Perssian Gulf. I´ll do some test.

• Solution
23 hours ago, Foka said:

Today I have tested It and seems that the problem was the second point you said. Or at least it appears to be so. Ill continue testing.

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

I have never figured out the reason but sometimes TACAN won't pick up the boat. My work around is to go to Waypoint 0 and use that. Eventually, as I get closer, TACAN will work.

One of the latest updates made TACAN able to receive distance information from paired-frequency stations. Depending on what navigation aid stations are present on the map, some TACAN channels may conflict.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 2 weeks later...