How to start the engine with HOTAS control only / in an immersive way?

PawlaczGMD
Go to solution Solved by LeCuvier,

The F-86 seems to have a weird/artificial engine startup procedure. My throttle has buttons for cutoff<=>idle. I would want to start the engine using this function. So this works for moving the throttle to the first position up, but then to fully start the engine, you need to additionally move the throttle into a second position using the "throttle up" command. This cannot be bound to my HOTAS, as the menu won't let me, only to the keyboard. So I have to awkwardly reach for the keyboard to press this button... Also, it seems like this command just corresponds to moving the throttle up as normal in flight, so it seems artificial to only be able to do it with the button bind.

Is there a better way to do it? Why won't the game let me bind HOTAS buttons to this command? Is this some special second idle detent in the real aircraft? 

13 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

Is this some special second idle detent in the real aircraft? 

Well, yes, the real thing had two detents, kind of. One in form of an outboard push of the lever to engage ignition and pumps, the other was actual idle detent. You can see both animated during startup procedure. It's one of these cases where our standardized joysticks and throttles with single detents just can't match the actual plane setup, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• Solution

I struggle to understand the issue.
1. With ground power ON, you set the throttle to OFF using the command "Throttle  - Stop Engine" (or [End] key).
2. Flip the battery switch down to "Starter" briefly and then all the way up,
3. At  3% RPM, move the throttle forward to the detent, using the command "Throttle - Start Engine" (or [Home] key).
4. At 6% RPM, move the throttle forward to IDLE, using the command "Throttle - Start Engine" (or [Home] key) again.
The engine will spin up to Idle rev rate.
You should be able to bind the commands "Throttle  - Stop Engine" and "Throttle - Start Engine" to the your Cutoff resp. Idle buttons.
Yes, you will use the same "Idle" button twice as you move the throttle forward in two steps. Is that an issue?
Am I missing something?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I struggle to understand the issue.
1. With ground power ON, you set the throttle to OFF using the command "Throttle  - Stop Engine" (or [End] key).
2. Flip the battery switch down to "Starter" briefly and then all the way up,
3. At  3% RPM, move the throttle forward to the detent, using the command "Throttle - Start Engine" (or [Home] key).
4. At 6% RPM, move the throttle forward to IDLE, using the command "Throttle - Start Engine" (or [Home] key) again.
The engine will spin up to Idle rev rate.
You should be able to bind the commands "Throttle  - Stop Engine" and "Throttle - Start Engine" to the your Cutoff resp. Idle buttons.
Yes, you will use the same "Idle" button twice as you move the throttle forward in two steps. Is that an issue?
Am I missing something?

I guess it's not a real problem, but he would like the "single" physical idle/cutoff switch in(side) his throttle to make two steps. I understand the want, but it's kind of impossible with the included keybinds I guess. I've even tried "split" my Warthog during the startup at some point. It's all for "immersion". I have to check how I've set up the F-86. Can't remember that I have to press any additional buttons or keybinds come to think of it.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

The F-86 seems to have a weird/artificial engine startup procedure. My throttle has buttons for cutoff<=>idle. I would want to start the engine using this function. So this works for moving the throttle to the first position up, but then to fully start the engine, you need to additionally move the throttle into a second position using the "throttle up" command. This cannot be bound to my HOTAS, as the menu won't let me, only to the keyboard. So I have to awkwardly reach for the keyboard to press this button... Also, it seems like this command just corresponds to moving the throttle up as normal in flight, so it seems artificial to only be able to do it with the button bind.

Is there a better way to do it? Why won't the game let me bind HOTAS buttons to this command? Is this some special second idle detent in the real aircraft? 

With the Warthog throttle, I use the left throttle up over the gate for the first detent and right throttle over the gate for the second detent then I lock them together for single throttle use.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

10 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

With the Warthog throttle, I use the left throttle up over the gate for the first detent and right throttle over the gate for the second detent then I lock them together for single throttle use.

So you bind both left and right throttle over gate to the same command "Throttle - Start Engine" ?

I was not aware this would work, I thought the second detent is activated with "Throttle Up", which the game won't let me bind to HOTAS.

28 minutes ago, PawlaczGMD said:

So you bind both left and right throttle over gate to the same command "Throttle - Start Engine" ?

I was not aware this would work, I thought the second detent is activated with "Throttle Up", which the game won't let me bind to HOTAS.

Exactly. The same command on both throttles, lift them over the gate one by one for the start sequence. Of course, I use the DX128 button mod and I don't remember if those positions are both available in the stock setup.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg