114-L LOBL Mode

TheGhostOfDefi
Go to solution Solved by NeedzWD40,

So a short further understanding for me:

Is the Lima supposed to hit its exact target wenn used with LOBL or is there still room for “Interpretation” by the missile itself?

Or comes by using the TADS that the missile locks onto a target but just not that, that the TADS was looking on?

Background is that missiles in LOBL repeatedly hit a different target than intended in my experience. 

Disclaimer because the Lima is a hot topic: 

I don’t blame the missile, I don’t have a problem with the missile, I don’t want anything changed so far…

Im just curious and don’t want to kick off a new Fundamental discussion pls 😂

• Like 1

• Solution

There's still a chance that the missile won't lock onto the intended target, depending on what the seeker grabs (which can get into complex sub modes that I won't go into here). If vehicles are moving close together, it might grab a vehicle in front or behind the target indicated by TADS. Currently the problem is a bit exacerbated by excessive INU drift, but even if your INU is under a fresh reset state, it's still a potential issue depending on target separation.

• Like 2

vor 4 Stunden schrieb TheGhostOfDefi:

So a short further understanding for me:

Is the Lima supposed to hit its exact target wenn used with LOBL or is there still room for “Interpretation” by the missile itself?

Or comes by using the TADS that the missile locks onto a target but just not that, that the TADS was looking on?

Background is that missiles in LOBL repeatedly hit a different target than intended in my experience. 

Disclaimer because the Lima is a hot topic: 

I don’t blame the missile, I don’t have a problem with the missile, I don’t want anything changed so far…

Im just curious and don’t want to kick off a new Fundamental discussion pls 😂

It's been a while.  So you would have to test it again, but in dcs it is currently like this.

The missle can distinguish between tracks, wheels, stationary and moving vehicles. 

This means that if you shoot the missle at a tracked vehicle and there are only wheeled vehicles around it, the missle will most likely only hit the tracked vehicle because it probably recognizes the difference.  

And so on.   

However, if there are many other tracked vehicles around, the missle may not hit the initial target.  

If you watch the latest videos from Wags about the apache.  There are short shots about the Apache FCR.   

There the targets are also subdivided between wheeled and tracked vehicles, so the FCR and therefore probably also the Lima seems to know these differences in dcs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheGhostOfDefi said:

Okay thank you very much, i think that does it. But now since you mentioned the FCR is the Lima more target specific when receiving its data from it? Not talking about a 100% success rate but does the FCR "deconflict" targets better?

The FCR offers a little bit more flexibility in conjunction with the 114L, but not really in terms of passing more specific data to the missile. For example, the FCR can provide an alternate target to the missile in event that it cannot find the primary target (thus our "2ND TARGET INHIBIT" option to tell it not to do that). The missile search modes can differ between FCR, RFHO, and TADS sources, but I'm going to guess within a DCS context that these aren't modeled.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GKOver said:

If I aim at a soldier with a stinger (I cannot believe that this is possible in real life…), the 114-L is usually destroying vehicles which are nearby without harming the soldier

Why wouldn't it be possible? Missile is getting position data from TADS via laser, not radar. Switching to nearby vehicle later on makes sense.

1 hour ago, GKOver said:

If I aim at a soldier with a stinger (I cannot believe that this is possible in real life…), the 114-L is usually destroying vehicles which are nearby without harming the soldier

I cant come to said results. 

1. Yes Infantry is a Target for the L in DCS, i could imagine that they are working on it..

2. If there are bigger RCS in the area those are more likely to be attacked.

3. I get good results regarding Splash damage of the Hellfire Family against Infantry

vor 2 Stunden schrieb GKOver:

the 114-L is usually destroying vehicles which are nearby without harming the soldier

Watch on youtube how the Hellfire hits a jeep directly, the jeep is broken but almost all the people on it can still run away?

vor 56 Minuten schrieb admiki:

Why wouldn't it be possible? Missile is getting position data from TADS via laser, not radar. Switching to nearby vehicle later on makes sense.

yes I agree, I don't think the radar is intended for soldiers and if there is a vehicle next to it, that's the higher priority