Additional Training Missions for the Viggen

Rudel_chw

On 11/21/2023 at 2:53 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I will now start working on my next mission, covering the use of the Missile Rb05, both for Air-Air and Air-Ground.

Hello all,

I know it may seem like I have abandoned these missions, as I have not added anything new since the end of january, but I can assure I have not 🙂 ... what has happened is that here on my country we were on summertime and thus I took a couple of weeks off to travel with my family, and also the mission I wanted for the Rb05 has been quite a bit harder to do than I first envisioned, so I decided to put it aside for a bit, to recharge my inspiration.

Instead, I decided to do one more training mission for the "flying" aspect of the Viggen, rather than the "combat" one, and the result is that today I added Mission M08, on the employment of the radio.

I had to rename all missions of this set, so I'm not able to provide a link to download just M08, you will need to re-download the whole set, really sorry about that but it will make it easier for me to add more missions later on. Please re-download using the link on the Original Post:

Now I will return to the Rb05 mission, hopefully it will be easier for me now to edit it now, with a clearer head.

Cheers!

Eduardo

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

@Rudel_chw Many thanks for building and sharing these excellent missions! I've flown three so far and found them to be well thought out, informative and enjoyable - much better than the stock training missions IMO.

Couple of minor bugs I've encountered:

- on the abbreviated cold start, general carnage ensues around you as the Chinooks and B-1 burst into flames on touchdown (actually kinda hilarious when juxtaposed with the calm delivery of the training voiceover 😆) - guessing  a newly introduced DCS AI bug

- when interacting with ATC, it seems the next voiceover is only triggered when using the FR22 PTT bind, but not the FR22 PTT/VOIP bind - took me a while to figure out there were two binds for operating thr same radio!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simo said:

@Rudel_chw Many thanks for building and sharing these excellent missions! I've flown three so far and found them to be well thought out, informative and enjoyable - much better than the stock training missions IMO.

Thank you so much for your kind words ☺️

1 hour ago, Simo said:

Couple of minor bugs I've encountered:

- on the abbreviated cold start, general carnage ensues around you as the Chinooks and B-1 burst into flames on touchdown (actually kinda hilarious when juxtaposed with the calm delivery of the training voiceover 😆) - guessing  a newly introduced DCS AI bug

Well, I did notice the AI poor airmanship when taxing, but the alternative was having to remove the random air traffic ... and I chose to leave it as is, because the airbase was too sterile without other planes moving 🙂 ... and as you say, the accidents are kind of amusing.

1 hour ago, Simo said:

- when interacting with ATC, it seems the next voiceover is only triggered when using the FR22 PTT bind, but not the FR22 PTT/VOIP bind - took me a while to figure out there were two binds for operating thr same radio!

Thanks a lot for the report, I'm kind of a Single Player user, so I never use the VOIP feature of DCS ... I will test to see if ATC does respond to VOIP PTT, and if positive, I can then modify the trigger so that either PTT will do. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 8:59 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks a lot for the report, I'm kind of a Single Player user, so I never use the VOIP feature of DCS ... I will test to see if ATC does respond to VOIP PTT, and if positive, I can then modify the trigger so that either PTT will do.

Hi,

Well, I checked this PTT issue and found that the Viggen actually has three PTT bindings for each radio:

5cu6A4o.jpg

My training missions react only to the standard PTT of each radio. The VoIP binding of both radios are only for communication with other players on MP, it does not allow communication with ATC or AWACS. The third binding is like a mix of the other two, a short press behaves like the standard PTT, while a long one is for communication with other players on MP. 

Unfortunately, I can't yet detect on a trigger if the press is a short or a long one, so the only PTT that works on my training missions is the standard one. However, I will modify both Cold Start missions, to add a brief explanation about the different PTTs, before employing the PTT for the first time.

Thanks again for this bug report.

Eduardo

Edit: Just wanted to report that I modified the PTT explanation on both Cold Start Missions, and updated the Mission Pack at User Files. Here is a short video of the testing, I used the spacebar a lot to quickly arrive at the changed section:

🙂 

Edited by Rudel_chw
Added video
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 11:26 AM, Rudel_chw said:

I will now start working on my next mission, covering the use of the Missile Rb05, both for Air-Air and Air-Ground.

Hello,

I took a while, but today I finally finished the M13 training mission, covering the Rb05 missile on Air-Ground attacks:

🙂

Edit: I just realized that I failed to acknowledge the help that I received from both @Goblin and @hilmerby who provided information about the way the Rb05 was employed in real life, thanks so much to both of them.

Edited by Rudel_chw
Added acknowledgements
  • Like 3

Hello,

Just wanted to tell that today I added another mission to this Training set, this time on using the Rb05 on Air-Air interceptions:

Next one will be a Training mission on the use of the Sidewinder missiles.

Cheers,

Eduardo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2024 at 12:33 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Next one will be a Training mission on the use of the Sidewinder missiles.

Hello all, 🙂 

As promised, today I added another mission to this Training set, this time on using all three variants of the swedish version of the Sidewinder infra-red guided missile, on Air-Air interceptions:

Next one will be a Training mission about the employment of the Viggen defensive systems.

Cheers,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 3