SteamVR Link - introduces dynamic foveated rendering...maybe

Mr_sukebe

An interesting update.

SteamVR has been updated and there's some noise about it's ability to link wirelessly.   If anything, that put me off a little, as I'd prefer a wired link (not currently possible).

However, the updated SteamVR link also includes foveated rendering by default, and the ability to conduct dynamic foveated rendering if you have a suitable headset with eye tracking, i.e. like the Quest Pro that I have.

Clearly, that's rather excellent news, as it has the potential to replace Mbucchia's rather excellent Quad views solution if/when it breaks, as he's pulled to plug on further development, to allow him to move on to doing bigger and better things elsewhere.

That's the good news, right now, I couldn't actually get it running.

I was happily able to install the new SteamVR App to my Quest Pro and successfully connect to my Steam account on my PC.

It took me a few mins to find that to change the SteamVR setting to use OpenXR was only possible on the PC's version of SteamVR, as of course that setting had changed.

I was then able to fire up that WW2 combat sim, but unfortunately it then had an OpenXR call failure and crashed.  Within the menu screen, it was good to see that DFR was actually running, before crashing when I tried jumping into a cockpit.

I tried firing up DCS via Steam, but it didn't want to go into VR.  Probably my ineptitude with the settings in Steam.

Either way, whilst I was unable to get it running, it DOES look worth investigating as it might well save the day for DFR.

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

So far, I am very impressed.  Just make sure to set OpenComposite back to Steam VR (if you use that), and in SteamVR, you need to set the runtime back to SteamVR vs OpenXR.  Set OpenXrToolkit to disabled unless you want to use some of it's features (colors, etc), but I can almost tell right now that I will be uninstalling OpenXRToolkit, OpenComposite and probably PimaxXR as well. SteamVR is smooth, and the scaling is very good.  One caveat, OpenXRToolkit is great for enhancing the colors for Quest 3.  So I may leave it installed for just that purpose, but other than that, Steam Link is now my GoTo.  And I really do like Virtual Desktop, but can't really see a reason to use it now.

So smooth and seamless, oh, and smooth.

If you do elect to still use OpenXrToolkit, it seems there is no need to enable any type of eye tracking options.  Just make sure you have eye tracking enabled for your Quest Pro.

To Matt's credit, you can feel his spirit embedded all over this and for that I am so glad and thankful he had stuck with us for so long because I think he has moved Everything forward for us to enjoy VR even more, and better than ever

Salute, Matt!!

• Like 1

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

It looks like this may just be only dynamic foveated rendering as I cannot see any settings for this with my Pico 4, unless I am missing something. QVFR supports fixed as well as dynamic so will stick with this for now. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

No, this isn't foveated rendering. Steam Link is doing foveated encoding (also known as foveated compression or foveated transport).

Foveated encoding only affects the image compression before sending it to the headset. It does not have any impact at all on performance (which is the whole point of foveated rendering).

PS: Note that by default, SteamVR does not pass the eye tracking data to the application in a way that it can be used. So QVFR will not be able to use the eye tracking from Steam Link. In order to fix that, you must download the latest version of OpenXR-Eye-Trackers (which is something you install along with QVFR, not a replacement) and follow the instructions to enable Steam Link eye tracking forwarding.

Edited by mbucchia

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

3 hours ago, mbucchia said:

No, this isn't foveated rendering. Steam Link is doing foveated encoding (also known as foveated compression or foveated transport).

Foveated encoding only affects the image compression before sending it to the headset. It does not have any impact at all on performance (which is the whole point of foveated rendering).

PS: Note that by default, SteamVR does not pass the eye tracking data to the application in a way that it can be used. So QVFR will not be able to use the eye tracking from Steam Link. In order to fix that, you must download the latest version of OpenXR-Eye-Trackers (which is something you install along with QVFR, not a replacement) and follow the instructions to enable Steam Link eye tracking forwarding.

thanks for the response. 
apologies, I didn’t really understand the last paragraph.

That sounds like a fix for passing eye tracking data using the SteamLink.  If SteamVR doesn’t support dynamic foveated rendering, what would be the point?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

If SteamVR doesn’t support dynamic foveated rendering, what would be the point?

Who said SteamVR could not support any form of dynamic foveated rendering though? 🙂

Just like every platform, SteamVR doesn't support it out of the box, but it's achievable with my tools. The problem is just the many combinations possible.

DCS MT + SteamVR OpenXR + OpenXR-Eye-Trackers + Quad-Views-Foveated will give you DFR in DCS with Steam Link.

Many other combinations work, see the QVFR wiki for the details: Home · mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated Wiki (github.com)

I've highlighted below 7 combinations where you can do DFR with SteamVR OpenXR.

image.png

How do we fix this? Because it's way too freaking complicated for users to know what combination of 3rd party tools they need.

We need all vendors to provide these as base features that do not require 3rd party tools. We need Meta and Valve to support the cross-vendor eye tracking APIs and quad views configuration type out of the box.

So far, in this whole industry, only Varjo implements what is needed out of the box. Soon Somnium will do too (allegedly).

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Thanks for clarifying

QP+SteamLINK+OpenxrEyeTrack+QVFR does it Work?
( SteamVR Quadview Emulation on , Eyetrack App on, OSC on, 9015port seleted
   openxr-eyetrack 1.2, QVFR 1.13 )

It worked in VDXR and Meta-openxr... but I hasn't succeceeded in SteamLink. I Checked that screen divided QUADView, but Eye-tracking doesn't work.

hmm...

QuestPro+pimaxMagic4all+SteamLink perfectly work.
I don't understanding 😂

-------------------------

The cause was Virtual Desktop Streamer!
I shut down Streamer tray and everything is fixed.

works fine!

Edited by Ahogephilia

I tried stemvr link...but it seems no ASW/Motion smoothing...am I doing something wrong?

Also is fovetead encoding active by default?Cannot find any relevant option for it nor in steamvr settings, nor in the headset's app.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png