SSLR has no effect at all

Limaro
Go to solution Solved by fjacobsen,

On 12/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, Limaro said:

I see. Ill habe to make additional runs with that setup 🙂

Look closely around the metal on metal surfaces with contrast details/shadows.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 3 weeks later...

The SSLR will not be a main option nomore after the futur ray tracing implementation i think (after Vulkan), it will be reduced under RT fonction.

Anyway i still use it. Even if it sometimes take more FPS as it is full RT (SSLR is based on local RT relfexion, not on full light emission RT).

Not easy to see the difference beetwin SSLR ON and OFF sometimes. But it's noticable in several conditions. Not sure that the B-17's shaders are efficient with the SSLR (?). Anyway, it's not noticable on every scenes and depend from the angle beetwin light reflexion and camera angle. Then, because it's not full RT, it don't reflect the far environement i guess. And because of this, and also because of LOD, i think it does not appear when the camera is to far from the plane ! 😉

Edited by Mav783

8 minutes ago, Mav783 said:

The SSLR will not be a need nomore after the futur ray tracing implementation (after Vulkan). But i still use it. Even if it sometimes take more FPS as it is real RT  (SSLR is based on local RT relfexion, not on full light emission RT).

Not easy to see the difference beetwin SSLR On and OFF sometimes. But it's noticable in others conditions. Not sure that the B-17's shaders are efficient with the SSLR. Anyway, it's not noticable on every scene and depend to much about the angle beetwin light reflexion and camera angle. Then, because it's not full RT, it don't reflect the far environement i guess.

Is just a simple Screen Space reflection. It makes only objects and scenes that are on screen to appear on reflections. It will reflect environment but very very limited in the form that's on DCS.

Whenever you saw dynamic reflections on old-ish games, this was mostly it.

-Vermintide 2 (just as blurry as in DCS)

-Latest Hitman trilogy with RT OFF (very decent)

-IL-2 BoX

-Racing games: DiRT Rally 2.0 (very sharp SS reflections), F1 games, Milestone bike games, Assetto Corsa Competizione.

-The Division 1&2

Algorithm/techs for it might be different across different titles, but the premise was the same. The downside is that it can't reflect what's not on screen, example: something behind the players point of view but should still reflect on an object in front.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Bottom of the right wing reflecting the AIM-9 Along with the pylon.
Needs a very specific lighting conditions to appear more obvious.

The carrier deck also has constant screen space reflections and it pops up when it rains.

Honestly, I like the way it is on DCS and I'd prefer it over real ray tracing if the later messes with the frame times too much and causes hiccups.

Mechwarrior 5 wasn't a good example of RT being that great. Heavy, stutter inducing and minimal visual benefit.
I hope DCS implementation is optimized from the get go. If not, the sim still looks jaw dropping great without it.