Navigation

FlyingCoffin

Hey

I want to know how I can navigate with the sabre. 

As example I want to go to "Boulder City in Nevada" have I to check for the freq 116,7 for the NdB?(In Compass mode)

I searched from 120-100kHz and didnt found anything. No needle swing no nothing nada. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by FlyingCoffin

116.7 isn't an NDB frequency.

NDB's operate (in North America) between 190 to 625 Kilohertz (kHz)

Boulder City VOR is 116.7 Megahertz (MHz). VOR's (VOR, VORTAC AND TACAN) are a completely different type of radio navigation aid and are not available to the F-86.

Below are typical chart symbols for various ground based radio navigation aids (NAVAIDS). You want the far right symbol, of which there are few on the Nevada Map in DCS.

image.png

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

13 minutes ago, FlyingCoffin said:

sorry f.... damn double post

edit: check it if you want Iam checking it again now when Iam done checking and did not find it again then you may check it. lol

cantfind477kHz.trk 2.63 MB · 0 downloads

It's working just fine, you just need to tune it correctly.

If you are unable to find the correct frequency, open the kneeboard. The current selected frequency will be visible there, and with that you'll be able to enter the frequency just right.

On Caucasus these "marker beacons" as you call them are true NDBs, as this is the way the Soviets designed their instrument approaches, and if they weren't activated or deactivated with regard to wind direction, you would have two NDBs of the same freq on each end of the runways. 

Edited by Volator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FlyingCoffin said:

can someone tell me when Iam tuned in 490kHz for kobuleti. Why the arrow of the radio compass points in a whole different direction?

You're gonna have to provide some more infos...

Where in relation to your heading is the beacon located and where does the needle point to?

Posted (edited)

The NdB is by Kobuleti in the south west. And I was somewhere in the center. I know that the compass is not working like the other compass. Its direction 0° is 12°o clock. 180° is 6°clock of the plane.

And now I have 490kHz. And the compass needle is just circeling.

Edited by FlyingCoffin

15 minutes ago, FlyingCoffin said:

The NdB is by Kobuleti in the south west. And I was somewhere in the center.

Where is center?

I know that the compass is not working like the other compass. Its direction 0° is 12°o clock. 180° is 6°clock of the plane.

Correct, it shows relative bearing.

If it's circling it means it's not receiving any signal. Either because you are too far away or not properly tuned to the frequency.

In my test, that NDB works just fine. Seems like you are doing something wrong again or perhaps the station got blown up. Either way, without a track it's going to be hard to tell.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FlyingCoffin said:

The NdB is by Kobuleti in the south west. And I was somewhere in the center. I know that the compass is not working like the other compass. Its direction 0° is 12°o clock. 180° is 6°clock of the plane.

When you are trying to navigate via NDB, the first step is to tune and IDENTIFY the station. You identify the station by listening for the morse code identifier. For the Kobuleti 490 kHz station, the ID is the letter T as shown on this snip

image.png

If you don't hear the letter T in Morse, you haven't got the station you want tuned properly.

image.png

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg