New Quest 2 Headset...now what?

aleader

I bought a new Quest 2 finally so I could at least try VR, the price was right ($195USD).  I want to be sure I'll use it before I spend more.  It seems very plug and play...except for DCS.  I have searched, but I can't find a sticky, or video, or thread anywhere with an updated tutorial on what to do.  All of the YT videos are just about optimization.  

I see Windows Mixed Reality, OpenXR, OpenXR Toolkit, OpenVR, SteamVR, Oculus Debug Tool, etc. etc.  I have DCS on Standalone. My system is: 5600X, 4070ti, 32GB RAM, W10.  

Can anyone point me to what to do to get it working in Dec. 2023?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Don‘t worry, I had the same questionmarks above my head, when I got my Quest Pro.

Now…none of the software you mentioned is really NEEDED and some even completely useless (Windows Mixed Reality).

At a later stage, when it comes to tweaking you might want to use OXR Toolkit Companion and Oculus Debug Tool or Oculus Tray Tool.

Do you have the Meta software already installed on your PC?

(Disclaimer: My experience is only based on the Quest Pro, but I guess the basics should be all the same.)

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

11 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

Don‘t worry, I had the same questionmarks above my head, when I got my Quest Pro.

Now…none of the software you mentioned is really NEEDED and some even completely useless (Windows Mixed Reality).

At a later stage, when it comes to tweaking you might want to use OXR Toolkit Companion and Oculus Debug Tool or Oculus Tray Tool.

Do you have the Meta software already installed on your PC?

(Disclaimer: My experience is only based on the Quest Pro, but I guess the basics should be all the same.)

Good to know it's not just me 😉 I haven't done anything with the PC yet, other than connect the Steam Link app from the headset (for my Steam VR games).  I have the Meta app on my phone, that's it.  I also don't have a link cable yet.  I was hoping to try it wirelessly first (Virtual Desktop??).

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

For PC you need the Oculus software for PC.
https://www.oculus.com/download_app/?id=1582076955407037

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

This is a Q2 setup for PC video on Youtube.

There are various video's to be found on how to set it up on a PC.
This one above has a section about USB connection and one about Air Link.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

This is a Q2 setup for PC video on Youtube.

There are various video's to be found on how to set it up on a PC.
This one above has a section about USB connection and one about Air Link.

Thanks, I know that there are videos for this, but as I said, I don't have the link cable yet.  So there is no wireless way to play DCS?  All I need is this video and I can just start up DCS from the desktop and play then?  Why all the threads about OpenXR here (none explaining what it is or why you 'need' it for DCS)? 

Also, I've read numerous comments about how Airlink is 'trash' compared to Virtual Desktop and Steam Link.  Is that true for DCS?  I can't beleive after all this time I can't find a DCS VR tutorial video...

EDIT:  Found this after searching through threads:

"Hey guys, I got myself a Q3 and I want to play DCS in VR wireless. For some reasons, the Q3 will not work with AirLink properly, I already had this problem with my Q2, it is stuttering and laggy as hell, you cannot even operate it properly, it is in the 1 frame per second area. The WiFi-Connection is fine which is why Virtual Desktop is very smooth.

So without AirLink and only Virtual Desktop available for the wireless operation of my Q3, how do I start up DCS in Virtual Desktop so that it actually runs in VR? I tested it with the Questlink USB-C cable it worked fine. If I start it via Virtual Desktop with the "Start via Oculus" Option, DCS starts, but it is not in VR in the headset; also does not react to headset movements etc. It looks like the PC monitor looks when I start it in VR and not like it looks in the VR headset when I start it in VR. 

Edit: it works now, I just startet the game via the "Launch Game" option in Virtual Desktop. 

This is starting to seem like more work than it's worth.  One thread says Airlink (Quest Link...same thing?) is the only way it works, the next says Airlink is terrible and VD is the only thing to use for DCS.  I don't have Virtual Desktop yet and would have to buy it.

Also, would this use the Multithread .exe through the VD launch option, or do I have to edit a text file for that too? 

Edited by aleader

I don't own a Q2 but use a Rift-S with display port (but i used to have Pico 4 which i setup wireless and through USB cable).

In your first post you said that you have the app on your phone but that is only to play stuff through the headset from within the headset (since it's a stand alone you don't need a PC for this). However, you need the PC software installed on your PC to make it run PC games (like DCS).

For a first round I would just set it up with what the Oculus (Meta) PC software has to offer, it has everything build in that you need to make it work.
You need that PC software first (link in my first post) and then use the Air Link (Quest Link is through USB cable if i'm correct) option.
Don't look for a video on how to setup the Air Link with DCS, just look for a video that talks about setting up Air Link with a PC (for whatever game, it's all the same).

When that is done, open DCS in 2D, go settings, select the VR tab on the far right and tic Enable Virtual Reality Headset.
Once that is done, quit and restart DCS and it will run in VR in your headset (and in a mirror on your monitor).

Drawback of this method is that you need to tic/untic the VR option and first restart DCS each time you want to change between 2D and VR.
For this there are 2 options:
- create 2 desktop icons, one for 2D and another with the --force_enable_VR behind the DCS.exe (if you play both ST and MT you need 4 DCS icons, 2 for ST and 2 for MT).
- use SkateZilla's updater/launcher app which lets you switch between ST, MT and 2D and VR all selectable from within the app when you start DCS.

Next, you don't need to worry about OpenXR or any other stuff (the Oculus software has an option to set OpenXR as the active VR runtime if needed but it works with the Oculus runtime too). You can deal with OpenXR Toolkit later if you want, it's not madatory, nothing is, just the Oculus/Meta PC software.

image.png

13 hours ago, aleader said:

Thanks, I know that there are videos for this, but as I said, I don't have the link cable yet.  So there is no wireless way to play DCS?  All I need is this video and I can just start up DCS from the desktop and play then?  Why all the threads about OpenXR here (none explaining what it is or why you 'need' it for DCS)? 

Also, I've read numerous comments about how Airlink is 'trash' compared to Virtual Desktop and Steam Link.  Is that true for DCS?  I can't beleive after all this time I can't find a DCS VR tutorial video...

EDIT:  Found this after searching through threads:

"Hey guys, I got myself a Q3 and I want to play DCS in VR wireless. For some reasons, the Q3 will not work with AirLink properly, I already had this problem with my Q2, it is stuttering and laggy as hell, you cannot even operate it properly, it is in the 1 frame per second area. The WiFi-Connection is fine which is why Virtual Desktop is very smooth.

So without AirLink and only Virtual Desktop available for the wireless operation of my Q3, how do I start up DCS in Virtual Desktop so that it actually runs in VR? I tested it with the Questlink USB-C cable it worked fine. If I start it via Virtual Desktop with the "Start via Oculus" Option, DCS starts, but it is not in VR in the headset; also does not react to headset movements etc. It looks like the PC monitor looks when I start it in VR and not like it looks in the VR headset when I start it in VR. 

Edit: it works now, I just startet the game via the "Launch Game" option in Virtual Desktop. 

This is starting to seem like more work than it's worth.  One thread says Airlink (Quest Link...same thing?) is the only way it works, the next says Airlink is terrible and VD is the only thing to use for DCS.  I don't have Virtual Desktop yet and would have to buy it.

Also, would this use the Multithread .exe through the VD launch option, or do I have to edit a text file for that too? 

It's debatable whether airlink or VD is better TBH. Start with airlink. Quest link = cable. Air link = no cable. VD = third party app, no cable. 

Turn on airlink in headset options, install oculus on PC, pair it, enter airlink and launch the game. It should just work, really, but if not, just buy VD, it's more intuitive to set up.

Then, you can either try to launch the DCS .exe directly through the toolbar, which doesn't always work. Or, you can launch steam VR, and launch DCS through that, which should work. You can add standalone DCS as a non-Steam VR game to Steam.

1 hour ago, PawlaczGMD said:

VD = third party app, no cable.

VD works with cable too.

7 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Once that is done, quit and restart DCS and it will run in VR in your headset (and in a mirror on your monitor).

Excellent, thanks for the detailed information, very helpful.  One thing here is what to set the resolution at in DCS?  I assume it doesn't matter, or make it as low as possible?  Does having your monitor on at the same time not use a lot of unnecessary resources, or does it turn off automatically once actually in game?  I will watch one of those 'best settings in VR' videos again, now that I know how to get going.

6 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

It's debatable whether airlink or VD is better TBH. Start with airlink. Quest link = cable. Air link = no cable. VD = third party app, no cable. 

Turn on airlink in headset options, install oculus on PC, pair it, enter airlink and launch the game. It should just work, really, but if not, just buy VD, it's more intuitive to set up.

Then, you can either try to launch the DCS .exe directly through the toolbar, which doesn't always work. Or, you can launch steam VR, and launch DCS through that, which should work. You can add standalone DCS as a non-Steam VR game to Steam.

Thanks, this is exactly what I'll do, try Airlink first as it's free, and I want to minimize the number of things to deal with.  I have seen videos/posts about force-disabling SteamVR somehow to save on resources?

Hello

about resolution, many quest owner let PD at 1.0 in DCS, and use the définition multiplier in occulus home ( x1.2 x1.3 x1.5 … )

my advice is to start from low settings ( low textures..) in DCS and do test in freeflight after adding options one by one ( backup file named « options.lua » when it’s good)

dont forget to use mouse options to keep cursor confined to DCS

vor 2 Stunden schrieb aleader:

I have seen videos/posts about force-disabling SteamVR somehow to save on resources?

If you use the multithreaded version of DCS ( the DCS.exe in the bin-mt folder) and you have Oculus set as your OpenXR runtime as described in a post above, then you are not using SteamVR.

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

7 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

If you use the multithreaded version of DCS ( the DCS.exe in the bin-mt folder) and you have Oculus set as your OpenXR runtime as described in a post above, then you are not using SteamVR.

Ah, I am starting to get it now, thanks.

7 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Yeah that doesnt work sadly.

Why is this important...what's the issue with the mouse?

Any cables that anyone can recommend, other than the official Oculus one?  I may as well get one in case wireless isn't up to snuff.

Edited by aleader

23 minutes ago, aleader said:

Any cables that anyone can recommend, other than the official Oculus one?  I may as well get one in case wireless isn't up to snuff.

Anker USB to USB C works fine. For DCS I recommend the cable, wifi is never perfect, and you're sitting down anyway.

7 hours ago, aleader said:

Why is this important...what's the issue with the mouse?

In the VR settings in DCS there is an option to confine the mouse cursor to stay within the DCS window on your screen.
This has pro's and con's:
- Mouse stays within DCS, that way you don't loose the mouse cursor in VR when it moves out of the DCS VR mirror window on your screen. But as long as DCS is active you can't move the mouse out of that window, even if you want too (used to work fine, don't know about now because i have this option un-ticked).
However, if you use a second monitor and want to look something up this option can be frustrating because you can't move the mouse out of DCS.
- Mouse can move out of the DCS VR mirror window and with the headset on, it can be frustrating to get your cursor back into the window for you to use it when needed.
You can prevent this by keeping the resolution of the mirror window the same as the resolution of your monitor + DCS will give a message in your headset that the DCS window is out of focus if you move it to your second monitor or if you move it out of a smaller DCS window.

16 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

Anker USB to USB C works fine. For DCS I recommend the cable, wifi is never perfect, and you're sitting down anyway.

Yah, I am just so tired or adding more cables to my setup.  I feel like Neo in the Matrix when he's in the goop pod 😉  Which Anker cable?  Just make sure it's at least USB 3.0?  I can't see any Anker ones that have a 90 deg connection to the headset.  I've read that the Kiwi and Ugreen ones are also full speed?  Does it have to be USB C to C?

Edited by aleader

9 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

In the VR settings in DCS there is an option to confine the mouse cursor to stay within the DCS window on your screen.
This has pro's and con's:
- Mouse stays within DCS, that way you don't loose the mouse cursor in VR when it moves out of the DCS VR mirror window on your screen. But as long as DCS is active you can't move the mouse out of that window, even if you want too (used to work fine, don't know about now because i have this option un-ticked).
However, if you use a second monitor and want to look something up this option can be frustrating because you can't move the mouse out of DCS.
- Mouse can move out of the DCS VR mirror window and with the headset on, it can be frustrating to get your cursor back into the window for you to use it when needed.
You can prevent this by keeping the resolution of the mirror window the same as the resolution of your monitor + DCS will give a message in your headset that the DCS window is out of focus if you move it to your second monitor or if you move it out of a smaller DCS window.

Ok.  So I take it then there is no way to keep your monitor off completely so it doesn't waste resources?  I'm sure I've seen videos of guys playing without a monitor physically installed in their setup?

@aleader

I think you need a monitor for PCVR.

It also seems to be common understanding, that this does not actually impact performance really.

I didn‘t want to take any chances with the cable and bought the official Oculus link cable. You need to check, that the respective cable is capable of providing data and power at the same time.

image.png

9 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

@aleader

I think you need a monitor for PCVR.

It also seems to be common understanding, that this does not actually impact performance really.

I didn‘t want to take any chances with the cable and bought the official Oculus link cable. You need to check, that the respective cable is capable of providing data and power at the same time.

So if I set my game settings to my usual 1440p settings (adjusted down for VR obviously), it has no impact running my monitor and headset? 

The official cable is like $110 here, which I am not going to pay.  Something like these?: 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08FY28Z8F/?coliid=I3Q4UVU7PYDG54&colid=1IOI7O3P1NZ4U&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0948R58F2/?coliid=I241V1O6IRFBSR&colid=1IOI7O3P1NZ4U&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Or this is supposedly good, but a lot more: https://us.vrcover.com/products/premium-usb-c-cable-for-oculus™-quest-2-5m

Edited by aleader

vor 13 Minuten schrieb aleader:

So if I set my game settings to my usual 1440p settings (adjusted down for VR obviously), it has no impact running my monitor and headset?

What you set as resolution in the ingame settings has absolutely nothing to do with the res in VR and should not really impact performance. However, I have it set to the lowest possible res…just in case…😄.

image.png

9 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

You can alt-tab to change Window's focus to another application and then use the mouse there.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

3 hours ago, aleader said:

Yah, I am just so tired or adding more cables to my setup.  I feel like Neo in the Matrix when he's in the goop pod 😉  Which Anker cable?  Just make sure it's at least USB 3.0?  I can't see any Anker ones that have a 90 deg connection to the headset.  I've read that the Kiwi and Ugreen ones are also full speed?  Does it have to be USB C to C?

The one I had didn't have to 90 deg, but it's still fine. In theory, any USB 3.0 to USB C will work, the headset doesn't need crazy speed. It's more about the physical quality of the cable.

I has to be USB C on one side because that's what your headset has, right?

2 hours ago, aleader said:

The official cable is like $110 here, which I am not going to pay.  Something like these?: 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08FY28Z8F/?coliid=I3Q4UVU7PYDG54&colid=1IOI7O3P1NZ4U&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0948R58F2/?coliid=I241V1O6IRFBSR&colid=1IOI7O3P1NZ4U&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Or this is supposedly good, but a lot more: https://us.vrcover.com/products/premium-usb-c-cable-for-oculus™-quest-2-5m

I think all these cables are good.

When you play in VR, your monitor just mirrors the VR view. It doesn't rerender a 2D view in a different resolution. So the in-game res should not matter at all for performance.

9 hours ago, aleader said:

Ok.  So I take it then there is no way to keep your monitor off completely so it doesn't waste resources?  I'm sure I've seen videos of guys playing without a monitor physically installed in their setup?

It doesn't waste resources as it just mirrors what you're seeing in the headset.

There's a trick to reduce DCS resolution on your monitor to something very low (like 800x600, can't remember exactly) for some supposed gain. I tested it extensively, couldn't find any difference in fps or frametimes.

Edited by diego999