DLSS "update"

Moxica

1 hour ago, Qcumber said:

Cockpit sharpness is better with MSAA but the landscape looks very jaggy to me, even at x4. I am now using a DLSS scale of about 0.7 and combined with QVFR reduces my overall pixel count to about 30%. From about 10Mp per eye to about 3.4Mp. I can maintain 72 fps in most situations. That's not bad for a 4070. It's slightly softer than I can get with MSAA but I can live with that. I wonder what 3.8 will bring! 

Yes, you are right. I was flying a little bit and have to say, I will stay with DLAA. It's now better, than with the noisy MSAA. Tried your sharpness setting and it works pretty well. Thanks. 😘

Edit:  As long as 3.8 will be better, I can't wait. 😉

Edited by Nedum
  • Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

13 minutes ago, Nedum said:

Yes, you are right. I was flying a little bit and have to say, I will stay with DLAA. It's now better, than with the noisy MSAA. Tried your sharpness setting and it works pretty well. Thanks. 😘

Edit:  As long as 3.8 will be better, I can't wait. 😉

DLSS/DLAA seems to be coming into its own now. As you say, in a fight it just looks great. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I have tried preset E an F a bit more. F is slightly better than E for ghosting, but I keep getting some jitters. Even at 72 fps with steady frame times I still get some random jitter every few seconds with F. I don't see it with E so I will stick with E for now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chichowalker said:

For me F preset removed almost completely ghosting. Its very nice.

Are you getting any jitter with F? Maybe it's playing placebo for me. I'll try it again. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Are you getting any jitter with F? Maybe it's playing placebo for me. I'll try it again. 

Hi,

thank you for the report. I saw the same as you did. There is a stutter with the F preset, even the FPS are nailed at 72. With the E preset for DLAA it's gone. I see that in the Quick Action Mission F16 Syria, Cold and Dark. If I am looking over my right shoulder, there is stutter, but the FPS are stable at 72. Only with the F preset.

Edit: Did a quick test with the E preset and got the same issue in Syria Cold and Dark. That's seems to be another problem. But I have that time to time stutter during the flight with the F preset and non with E preset. The F preset looks definitely better. Looks more sharp and less ghosting, but I get that temporarily stutter.

Edited by Nedum
Edit

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

10 minutes ago, Nedum said:

Hi,

thank you for the report. I saw the same as you did. There is a stutter with the F preset, even the FPS are nailed at 72. With the E preset for DLAA it's gone. I see that in the Quick Action Mission F16 Syria, Cold and Dark. If I am looking over my right shoulder, there is stutter, but the FPS are stable at 72. Only with the F preset.

Edit: Did a quick test with the E preset and got the same issue in Syria Cold and Dark. That's seems to be another problem. But I have that time to time stutter during the flight with the F preset and non with E preset. The F preset looks definitely better. Looks more sharp and less ghosting, but that temporarily stutter.

Great. I'm not going mad then. It's a shame about the stutter in F as it does look better. Have you looked to see if F is preferred in any other games? The consensus appears to favor E so I am not sure how F relates to this. 

I've tried again with the F preset on a different map and different plane. No jitter. 

A simple mission. Guns only dogfight F-5 vs MIG-19 in Sinai map over desert. I did not notice any blur or smearing etc. I'll keep running with F for now and see how I get on. 

I have tested in Sinaí, Siria and Caucasus. Little jitter in Sinaí, not in the rest...By the moment looks like F preset is good for VR. I run 72 Hz with 4090. I would like to test only DLAA. I will let you know results.

Enviado desde mi SM-G981B mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I have to test it again.  Right now a sniffing tool is running in the background. It could be the troublemaker (I hope so). Will test it later and report back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I've tried again with the F preset on a different map and different plane. No jitter. 

A simple mission. Guns only dogfight F-5 vs MIG-19 in Sinai map over desert. I did not notice any blur or smearing etc. I'll keep running with F for now and see how I get on. 

I do also see F the best 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KCOOL said:

I do also see F the best 

Great. It looks like F is the one for DCS then. 

2 hours ago, Qcumber said:

Great. It looks like F is the one for DCS then. 

What i also do not see is too much or if any benefit of 3.7 vs 3.5.10 or 3.6.

Do you really see benefits with 3.7? I am not sure if 3.7 is more sharp...

May be things will change after this week or next patch 

Edited by KCOOL

I tried out 3.7 yesterday. With DLAA enabled using 3.5, I notice banding on the P-51 reflector glass and ghosting on aircraft when tracking them in a dogfight. Both of those issues are significantly reduced for me using 3.7.

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

2 hours ago, Roosterfeet said:

I tried out 3.7 yesterday. With DLAA enabled using 3.5, I notice banding on the P-51 reflector glass and ghosting on aircraft when tracking them in a dogfight. Both of those issues are significantly reduced for me using 3.7.

Have you tried changing the presets?

2 hours ago, KCOOL said:

I am not sure if 3.7 is more sharp...

It is no more sharp than 3.5 but there is a lot less ghosting. In terms of sharpness I can get something not far of MSAA with the right resolution and sharpening so I am pretty happy. 

I see that ED in its April update did go from DLSS 3.5.0 to 3.5.10.0. 

I wonder if the next update will have 3.6 or 3.7. 

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5

15 minutes ago, PacFlyer23 said:

I see that ED in its April update did go from DLSS 3.5.0 to 3.5.10.0. 

I wonder if the next update will have 3.6 or 3.7. 

You can update these manually. 3.7 is a lot better than 3.5.10. 

16 hours ago, Qcumber said:

You can update these manually. 3.7 is a lot better than 3.5.10. 

Yes I realize that from this post thread, and I did copy 3.7 into my DCS folder. However, I noticed the update replaces it with 3.5.10 and was really just wondering why they didn't go with a later version. 

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5

4 minutes ago, PacFlyer23 said:

Yes I realize that from this post thread, and I did copy 3.7 into my DCS folder. However, I noticed the update replaces it with 3.5.10 and was really just wondering why they didn't go with a later version. 

Likely because 3.5 > 3.5.1 likely didn't require a huge amount of testing whereas 3.5 > 3.7 would need a bunch of testing.  ED have said they will update it eventually, but that it would require testing to make sure it didn't break anything.  And I'm presuming from the tiny bit I've read that it will require some additional behind the scenes changes to take full advantage of the new stuff 3.7 and beyond will bring.

4 hours ago, rob10 said:

Likely because 3.5 > 3.5.1 likely didn't require a huge amount of testing whereas 3.5 > 3.7 would need a bunch of testing.  ED have said they will update it eventually, but that it would require testing to make sure it didn't break anything.  And I'm presuming from the tiny bit I've read that it will require some additional behind the scenes changes to take full advantage of the new stuff 3.7 and beyond will bring.

I think you're right. 3.7 is better for ghosting but there is a lot for ED to do yet to catch up with the progress.