MIM 72G Chaparral missile - NO SMOKE

MIM 72G Chaparral produce no smoke when launched in DCS World 2.9

Not reduced or low visibility smoke, NOTHING AT ALL.

In real life it produces lots of smoke: 

chap09.jpg

4 years ago in DCS World, the Chaparral did produce smoke. Like in this Grim Reapers video:

Something has obviously happened to it over the years and should be corrected for DCS World 2.9. 

How much smoke the rocket motor produces should very much depend on the version used. Unfortunately, this is where using real life images and videos become difficult as only videos and pictures showing specifically MIM-72E or G (which have M121 smokeless motors) will be accurate.

In the description of the first video, it lists the variant as MIM-72A - so not appropriate to the G we have in DCS. I couldn't find anything on the image, but if it isn't an E or G, then it also won't be an accurate depiction of how much smoke there should be.

Everywhere I look the M121 motor is described as "smokeless" and at least according to this:

A new M121 smokeless solid rocket motor eliminated the smoke plume of the original rocket [...]

If this description is accurate, then this is probably correct as is.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

And another source here:

The MIM-72G is propelled by the Hercules M121 smokeless solid-rocket motor. It has the same top speed and ceiling, but the range has been increased to 30 000 m. The new M250 warheads is a 12.6 kg annular blast munition. The minimum effective altitude and range of the MIM-72G remain unchanged from the MIM-72A.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• Flappie changed the title to MIM 72G Chaparral missile - NO SMOKE