AI Aircraft parking - not reversing into position

Reccelow

Since 2.9 I've noticed the AI dont reverse into parking spots on the deck.  Now they drive straight in and instantly flip 180 degrees.  Reviewing the taxi/parking section of carrier RunwayandRoutes file I see the last value (representing velocity) used to be a negative (I assume this was causing the object to reverse?) and is now positive.

I've tried experimenting with the routes file and different values, but cant get the AI to back into parking slots any longer.  This is troublesome as they bang into each other trying to park in the last 2 of 3 positions on the "patio" section and destroy each other.

Thanks for your efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this bug gets fixed soon as it's playing havoc writing the code for mods.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

The pashback truck handles that. It will lift the nose wheel enabling the aircraft to be reversed backwards. As far as turning radius, the F-14 could actually turn inside itself. With the nose wheel all the way in one direction with the correct taping of the brakes you could get one main mount to go backwards while the other went forward. On an aircraft that is 65 feet (19.8 m) long this helps.

I would assume this could be added to the super-carrier decks. It would be cool if ED added it and the functionality.

image.png

Edited by plott1964
  • Like 1

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2024 at 10:01 AM, plott1964 said:

The pashback truck handles that. It will lift the nose wheel enabling the aircraft to be reversed backwards

On 1/23/2024 at 10:01 AM, plott1964 said:

I would assume this could be added to the super-carrier decks. It would be cool if ED added it and the functionality.

While it certainly looked strange watching planes back themselves up, having messed around a lot with the runway codes I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to have animated pushback trucks on the deck as planes are landing. While I agree it certainly would be cool and correct I don't think we'll ever see that added.🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Beldin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Beldin said:

I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to have animated pushback trucks on the deck as planes are landing.

They don't do it in the trap area in recovery phase. It'd be a nightmare indeed. But it's not a reason for not implementing push back vehicles.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

IRL, the aircraft aren't generally turned around right after trap, anyway. They're taken down to the hangar and replaced with fresh ones. As such, they should be parked the wrong way around. The aircraft tugs take them from there, usually to deck elevators and then to the hangar.

1 minute ago, Dragon1-1 said:

They're taken down to the hangar and replaced with fresh ones...

...usually to deck elevators and then to the hangar

You're sure of that? I heard they keep all air worthy ones on the deck. They go down only for repairs or longer maintenance.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

OK, so maybe not "usually" for the Hornets (Tomcats would see the hangar quite often), but either way, they're not turned around for the same launch cycle, but for the next one, meaning plenty of time to respot the aircraft after the current event had launched.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, draconus said:

But it's not a reason for not implementing push back vehicles.

I'm not saying it's impossible but the timing between planes landing is already very close, planes trap different wires each time which effects taxi distance and the time needed to get clear, is there just one push truck handling all planes.......... 

Now sure I'd like to see it but it seems to me there are other issues the developers should focus on. Like not introducing new bugs like this one with each update 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Beldin said:

I'm not saying it's impossible but the timing between planes landing is already very close, planes trap different wires each time which effects taxi distance and the time needed to get clear, is there just one push truck handling all planes.......... 

Now sure I'd like to see it but it seems to me there are other issues the developers should focus on. Like not introducing new bugs like this one with each update 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it should be reconsidered then. AI should not taxi to the rear deck positions if any aircraft is in the pattern.

After trap, they should get out of the way ASAP, because as a rule, the landing interval tends to be rather short, you don't foul the deck for an extended period of time unless you have a very good reason (and wanting to park in the dinosaur pen isn't one). IRL, planes are generally landing after the current event has launched, so there should be plenty of space, and no concern about blocking the bow cats. In DCS it might not work that well due to possibility of the carrier being used in unrealistic ways, but generally, AIs should, first of all, not block the landing area.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1

I do agree with basically everything you guys are saying. But after setting up a few runway lua files for several of the carrier mods I think they would have to rework the entire landing sequence. And don't forget it's not just Nimitz but the Russian carrier and Tarawa as well. And all three ship have different landing/parking issues. Unless you are thiking about just a Super Carrier update.