Update? PLEASE?

artao

I mean ... Everyone knows the -21 has issues nowadays.

PLEASE update it. It's one of the most popular DCS modules. It deserves higher priority than anything else you're working on. As much as y'all might love the planes in your pipeline, the community LONGS for a proper -21 update.

• Like 16

They've already said a v2.0 is going to come, but that's after Corsair release. They keep being a rather small team.

• Like 3

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 5:56 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

They've already said a v2.0 is going to come, but that's after Corsair release. They keep being a rather small team.

Can you send

coming changes with version 2.0? 

Летаю по священным скрижалям Хартмана

^ It doesn't seem even M3 devs themselves have made a 100% final decision about what they want / can update in the MiG. It will probably depend on time and resources availability related to their other projects.

There also is no single place where they listed all planned 2.0 features. Go to their website and just browse through annual and summer updates back to 2021. There will be some info about the MiG posted in each of them.

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yep, that. Only said they'll do it, no nothing yet but it'd be expectable a v2.0 remake should be up to modern DCS standards with regards to everything, 3D model, systems, and all. And about further versions... they talked about the possibility but for now it's only in our wishes.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

On 1/23/2024 at 10:58 AM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yep, that. Only said they'll do it, no nothing yet but it'd be expectable a v2.0 remake should be up to modern DCS standards with regards to everything, 3D model, systems, and all. And about further versions... they talked about the possibility but for now it's only in our wishes.

That all after F-4U Corsair and F-8 Crusader. Taking current speed of work into account it's expected in about 16 years.
(assuming that F-8 isn't much complicated than F-4U)

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 6

On 1/24/2024 at 7:03 PM, 303_Kermit said:

That all after F-4U Corsair and F-8 Crusader. Taking current speed of work into account it's expected in about 16 years.
(assuming that F-8 isn't much complicated than F-4U)

Nope, I guess we never know but they've said some time it'd be next after Corsair.

19 hours ago, wwWolfcom said:

ARK navigation, inner outer becon are definitely need to be reworked.

and SAU, and ARU, and Radar, and fantasy Weapon setup, and aiming sight sci-fi functions, and RSBN which currently is FC3 alike, and engine shutting down because of overspeed (it's totally made up, there are materials about it. MiG-21 shall lose stability not engine, by overspeed), and elevator not working on high speed and high altitudes....

Nope, I guess we never know but they've said some time it'd be next after Corsair.

wishful thinking. Navigation and radar need completely new algorithm. It must be first implemented to F-8, then if it works - you will find it in (new) MiG-21. Other way makes no sense. Nobody will implement new algorithm into old module. It would make no sense. They said a lot about it, and it's on YT. A complete interview was made about ... 1,5 year ago ...? I think.

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 303_Kermit said:

wishful thinking. Navigation and radar need completely new algorithm. It must be first implemented to F-8, then if it works - you will find it in (new) MiG-21. Other way makes no sense. Nobody will implement new algorithm into old module. It would make no sense. They said a lot about it, and it's on YT. A complete interview was made about ... 1,5 year ago ...? I think.

I wouldn't mind having Crusader first, but either way I don't make their internal plans and v2.0 of something means a whole new module in my book so your assumption about "getting new code into old one" is only yours.

3 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I wouldn't mind having Crusader first, but either way I don't make their internal plans and v2.0 of something means a whole new module in my book so your assumption about "getting new code into old one" is only yours.

It's not assumption. It's a quote.

Edited by 303_Kermit

Yep, maybe we read different quotes from the same developer in different ways. Not unheard of, definitely 🙄 .

On 1/26/2024 at 5:02 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yep, maybe we read different quotes from the same developer in different ways. Not unheard of, definitely 🙄 .

I hope that you're right, and I'm wrong. I be glad to. DCS Needs MiG-21... Every F-4 fan needs it as proper well made module. It's best duell of all times (hoewer it was a duel against MiG-21 MF/PF/PFM/F-13 and F-4). bis fought against F-15, F-16, and F-14A. Afghanistan , Iran Iraq war, 1991 Desert storm, Balkan War.

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 1

In Balkan wars no. 21 only had one air engagement and that was vs a helicopter during a QRA. And in Nam F4s fought MiG17s more then 21s. Vietnam didnt have many to begin with. F4 will get MiG-23 to "play" with.

Edited by Apok

2 hours ago, Apok said:

In Balkan wars no. 21 only had one air engagement and that was vs a helicopter during a QRA. And in Nam F4s fought MiG17s more then 21s. Vietnam didnt have many to begin with. F4 will get MiG-23 to "play" with.

As for Vietnam - sure, MiG-17 was main workhorse of VPAF, but saying, that MiG-21 wasn't significant there, it's a huge misunderstanding. VPAF lost 63 MiG-17 and 60 MiG-21.  As for aerial victories: in a list of top 16 VPAF pilots one can find 13 x MiG-21 and 4 x MiG-17. 

Both MiG-17 and MiG-21 were active in North Vietnamese air operations. MiG-21s were often assigned to intercept high-flying U.S. aircraft, while MiG-17s were used for a variety of roles, including ground attack and interception. The MiG-21's higher speed and altitude capabilities allowed it to cover more airspace and engage in more sorties compared to the MiG-17.

MiG-21s might have been prioritized for specific missions, such as intercepting high-value U.S. targets, means, that F-4 could met rather MiG-21 in the air. Peter Davies writes, that during Vietnam War F-4 killed 17 MiG-17 at a cost of one F-4 lost to them. In the case of MiG-21 VPAF claim 74 F-4 downed. Estimated 197 MiGs (all types) were shot down during the Vietnam War, with 150.5 claimed by Phantoms.

I wouldn't say that MiG-17 fought more. F-4E and MiG-21 bis came into service roughly at the same time. The difference was, that F-4E was used everywhere from Sinai and Persian Gulf till the Gulf of Tonkin, and MiG-21 bis not. MF/PF/FL was a proper workhorse against Phantom.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Maxthrust said:

This topic is about lack of updates on Mig-21.

Whether there will be a version 2.0 is moot point. It will have its own issues.

They just need to continue updating the current module as they used to.

True... Just for your info - there are at least 5 such topics... Some of them even started with originally some other subject, but in the end it's the same conclusion.