Drift recorder coming

Munin

From today's newsletter:

Mosquito FB VI. This year we continue working on the features from the Early access list. Including AI crew members and the Drift recorder.

I am really looking forward to the drift recorder. Doing some proper navigator stuff would be a welcome addition to just being a mere driver. Together with more realistic winds and turbulence, icing and spherical map - and a functioning windshield wiper - would add a new dimension to the sim.

Being able to put Lorenz-transmitters on ww2-runways a la mobile tacan is also on the wish list.

• Like 2

5 37 39 47 51 52 98 190a ce spit (a4 hab) - 430 ca sc wwii - cau chan mar nor nttr pg syr

13 hours ago, Munin said:

From today's newsletter:

Mosquito FB VI. This year we continue working on the features from the Early access list. Including AI crew members and the Drift recorder.

I am really looking forward to the drift recorder. Doing some proper navigator stuff would be a welcome addition to just being a mere driver. Together with more realistic winds and turbulence, icing and spherical map - and a functioning windshield wiper - would add a new dimension to the sim.

Being able to put Lorenz-transmitters on ww2-runways a la mobile tacan is also on the wish list.

Oh, the wiper 🤩. One day… (2wks) 😉

• Like 1

The drift meter/recorder will be an excellent navigation addition. With any kind of crosswind the Mosquito really likes to weathercock into it so calculating drift for a flight of any distance at all becomes really important. Looking forward to this.

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:48 PM, Munin said:

From today's newsletter:

Yes, we could really do with a Lucero system to do beam approach properly.

https://www.rafblakehillfarm.co.uk/babs-beam-approach-beacon-system

450de6_bee30eff14dd47849ae24caf9bb8e674~

Unfortunately, it would seem that only aircraft equippd with H2S (which in the Mosquito we obviously dont)  can use it.  Maybe if the Lancaster ever becomes payware...

https://www.qsl.net/pe1ngz/airforce/airforce-raf/raf-h2s.html

As far as a drift meter, yes, thats useful. Personally Im more interested in the AI crewman and how it works. Its it going to be something like petrovich, very limited. Or are we to be blessed with an Anglicised Jasper? (Jasper Algenon-Smythe?) There has been remarkably little information on what we are going to get that ive seen.

Incidentally, Wistramo Moore did a series of videos on WW2 bombsights and equipment that he had restored, whcih are all worth a look. This is the one on the drift sight, where he demonstrates its functionality. Im not sure if this is identical to what we are getting in the mosquito, but at least it gives some idea how it can be used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This will be fun to use. Also, I think this will be another good task for the navigator AI, so you could fly the plane straight for a few moments and ask your navigator to get a drift reading. 

If you catch my drift.

Edited by Bozon

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I'm ecstatic for the navigater.

I hope he is a lively chap with a nice Welsh accent. That he calls out speed, attitude, when to do course corrections. Time to target and even bandits and other targets.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

36 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I'm ecstatic for the navigater.

I hope he is a lively chap with a nice Welsh accent.

If you can stop him singing bread of heaven and distract hIm, you might get a bearing at some point 🙃

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Slippa said:

If you can stop him singing bread of heaven and distract hIm, you might get a bearing at some point 🙃

Sadly not gonna happen 

Gruffudd Davis is the son of a vicar. And doesn't like the Scottish pilot's proclivity for the drink and taking the Lords name in vain. 

• Like 1

'Should you fly so close to the ground? Im not a flipping miner you know!'

and

'We keep a welcome in the hillside. Or we will do, if you dont fly into it boyo!'

Ah, the possiblities are endless. At least we dont have to worry about his critique for middair refueling or catching the right wire. 😄

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, stuart666 said:

'Should you fly so close to the ground? Im not a flipping miner you know!'

and

'We keep a welcome in the hillside. Or we will do, if you dont fly into it boyo!'

Ah, the possiblities are endless. At least we dont have to worry about his critique for middair refueling or catching the right wire. 😄

The dream would be Rob Brydon on Welshness set to 11. 

Or Nicks voice for English Flight Controller?

Terry Thomas could do shifts as a Nav with David Niven? Charlie Hawtree and Windsor Davies on rotation?

Dick Emery ought to get a look in.

Edited by Slippa
  • Like 1

How about making our navigator sound like Groucho Marx?

”Lost?! What do you mean I am lost? This is an outrage! There will be a harsh letter in the Times about this tomorrow!”

On second thought… this is a bad idea…

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

On 1/27/2024 at 1:21 PM, Rapierarch said:

I always imagined Nick Gray as the voice of Mosquito AI. 

He would be too silky smooth and laid back. 'You know, why dont you turn about here, whilst I go  crack open the pyms.'

• Like 1