HUD and Landscape Visibility

I've been noticing after recent patch updates that it is really hard to see the HUD (F-14 and F/A-18) and landscape features.

For the HUD, even if you have the brightness turned up all the way, it is hard to see the HUD symbology particularly if it is against a white background such as clouds or fog.  The green blends in with the white to the point that symbology is not visible or discernible.

Landscape details also make things hard to see.  I feel like no matter what map I am in whether it's a bright sunny clear day, or there are some clouds present, that there is a light haze over the ground to have to see through. This makes it hard to see airbases as runways blend right in to the landscape unless I zoom my view in real close (not very realistic).

I admit it could be my graphics settings, but thought I'd bring it up here anyway.  I have an RTX4070 OC edition--are there any setting anyone would recommend to remedy these issues?

at 22:00, hard to see the airbase in the "haze:"

F-14 HUD visibility at 13:00 (heading tape especially hard to see):

F/A-18C HUD Visibility (JHMCS) at 18:00 and HUD at 26:50:

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I agree on the hud. There are times when a color change is all that would help but that isn't possible. I have also noticed that the three screens are not real bright either. IDK but I wonder if this is normal. Afterall we are flying an old plane that started life in 85 or so. Not sure about dates on C version or Block 20 but it is OLD.

On 1/16/2024 at 3:49 PM, bonesvf103 said:

For the HUD, even if you have the brightness turned up all the way, it is hard to see the HUD symbology particularly if it is against a white background such as clouds or fog.  The green blends in with the white to the point that symbology is not visible or discernible.

RL problem - that's why they made HDDs.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I did a few tweaks in my graphics settings based on Spudknocker's YouTube video and it seemed to improve it a bit, but not quite there yet.  If it is a RL issue, then I guess I'll just have to accept that except for the notion that if my JHMCS is on, that also implies that my tinted visor is also down which should help make the symbology easier to see against a bright sky or white clouds.  But then again, until ED models you being able to put your hand up to shield an instrument from sun glare, I don't think we'll see tinted helmet visors in their planes unless you are in a third party plane like the JF-17 or something.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

@bonesvf103Tweak your gamma settings. The videos seems overexposed and I personally wouldn't fly like that. You cannot even see the purple ish tint on the Hornet's HUD glass there, I presume is not modded out. All the upper white values are chopped off and the sky and clouds are merging much more with the HUD symbology.

If someone tries to make a cockpit a bright place, it will harm HUD and HMDs readability.
2.2 is default 'natural' gamma. Move from there depending on your setup.

If you have done some other tweak on your GPU control panel, try to reset that to default because maybe the footage is not overexposed to your eyes but any changes outside DCS may be chopping up black or white values, making gamma tweaks inside DCS seem always wrong or non intuitive.

Not to confuse gamma with brightness. These two terms means different value changes across bright and dark by different proportions.

Bellow images are a mix of different maps with different aircraft at the worst conditions I could of come up with with limited time with bright values testing.
These are with gamma 2.2

lRkdo8S.png

Ozv06t1.png

KCAEg6M.png

EpfkTPR.png

NHop8BZ.png

XuS6kRt.png

G01hb9L.png

e8H5T6U.png

iZjI0hv.png

7JQVbdv.png

2CHaQUX.png